• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tarnish Protection

Smungung

I use airtights on the coins before placing  them in an water proof airtight ammo box with a couple of tarnish strips and loads of Silca gel bags . no tarnishing yet but I having been stacking that long 

I use square quadrum intercept coin capsules because you can stack into monster boxes easy, these are advertised on the box saing that they protect upto 15 years from ternishing. I have found them to be good after 2 1/5 years of stacking. The kids (8-9) also go through my silver when they are deciding want they would like to add into my next order so its not like they are sitting being left alone. 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I don't bother worrying about it. I chuck it all into cheap airtight containers bought from poundland, and they get chucked into plastic boxes from poundstretcher. And these get stacked in my secret location. Unlike the majority of people here, I don't have any problems with coins tarnishing or getting milk spots. Now I may be just lucky or I may be doing something right who knows.

And worse come to the worse, I'll get the lighthouse silver dip out, or the goddards polish. Job done

Tarnish is more prevalent on sterling silver coins but fine silver doesn't readily tarnish unless it is exposed to sulphur contained in cigarette smoke and fossil burning stoves and fireplaces.

If you live in a non-industrial area, don't smoke at home and don't use a coal or wood burning stove; neighbours don't light bonfires to burn their garden rubbish then it is unlikely your coins will tarnish even if left exposed.

Like others, store in a container or capsules and keep a bag of silica gel in the container just to wrap up any moisture - not essential but it can prevent moulds developing in drawers and containers if some invisible moisture was present - e.g. higher than average humidity.
Some paper products that might be used to wrap coins ( which I do not recommend ) over years of storage have been known to leach chemicals that can tarnish silver.

On 4/16/2016 at 16:25, Pete said:

If you live in a non-industrial area, don't smoke at home and don't use a coal or wood burning stove; neighbours don't light bonfires to burn their garden rubbish then it is unlikely your coins will tarnish even if left exposed.

Well as I live in a very rural location, (nearest village/shop/pub almost two miles away, but I do have locked gates, CCTV, alarms and guard dogs ;) ), it seems you have found the reason why my silver seems to hold up so well. 

6 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

Well as I live in a very rural location, (nearest village/shop/pub almost two miles away, but I do have locked gates, CCTV, alarms and guard dogs ;) ), it seems you have found the reason why my silver seems to hold up so well. 

Are you .... 

images.jpeg

Archived