• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Precious Coin Tester

Paul616

IMG_4132.PNG

I've just downloaded and used this app on a few coins and it seems to work! It makes sense that coins will have a very specific ring to them. Any one with more experience than me (every on here I should imagine!) used it and have any comments positive or negative about it? Should I be trusting it?

1 hour ago, Paul616 said:

IMG_4132.PNG

I've just downloaded and used this app on a few coins and it seems to work! It makes sense that coins will have a very specific ring to them. Any one with more experience than me (every on here I should imagine!) used it and have any comments positive or negative about it? Should I be trusting it?

Never heard of it, it doesnt say if its for iphone or android and no makers identity to be able to download to check

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

6 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Never heard of it, it doesnt say if its for iphone or android and no makers identity to be able to download to check

Its available on iPhone but they have similar for android, seems to work very well. Best to ping gently with a "soft" plastic pen. Try it bro 🤓

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Its available on iPhone but they have similar for android, seems to work very well. Best to ping gently with a "soft" plastic pen. Try it bro 🤓

my hearing is rubbish and im tone deaf haha, rather use better tests than rely on my lugs 🤣

and i'd probably drop it and dink it... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

8 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

This tread should be posted under general precious metals...

Sorry. Can I move it somehow? Still quite new to the forum. I should read the whole sentence! I only got as far as  "If its not gold, silver or platinum but precious, i.e. palladium, rhodium etc."   I then thought well it's not about those metals specifically. I'll just stick it in Silver! I missed this bit,   "or if it's a topic about multiple precious metals at the same time. discuss here. " 

I've tried it on a few coins and it does seem to be fairly accurate. If you measure and weigh a coin and that is correct then it passes this app's test as well  think you can be faily confident the coin is the real deal. I tried a different coin to the one I selected in the app and it failed the test. Someone with more coins could test two similar size and weight coins and see if it is accurate enough to tell which is which. I can't justify £1000 on a Sigma at the moment so am hoping someone more experienced than me can give it the thumbs up!

1 hour ago, Paul616 said:

I've tried it on a few coins and it does seem to be fairly accurate. If you measure and weigh a coin and that is correct then it passes this app's test as well  think you can be faily confident the coin is the real deal. I tried a different coin to the one I selected in the app and it failed the test. Someone with more coins could test two similar size and weight coins and see if it is accurate enough to tell which is which. I can't justify £1000 on a Sigma at the moment so am hoping someone more experienced than me can give it the thumbs up!

That's why I think it would be interesting as somebody as BYB would make a video about this app and compare it with other test methods. 

He can also test fake or more difficult stuff. 

1 hour ago, Centauri167 said:

That's why I think it would be interesting as somebody as BYB would make a video about this app and compare it with other test methods. 

He can also test fake or more difficult stuff. 

Just twigged who BYB is! I agree. @BackyardBullion Have you heard of the app we talking about? Good video idea.

Just now, Paul616 said:

Just twigged who BYB is! I agree. @BackyardBullion Have you heard of the app we talking about? Good video idea.

I have heard of the app, never used it.

There are plenty of other easy tests you can do without pinging a coin - which is not always practical without potential damaging a coin.

Weights, measures, specific gravity are amongst the easiest ways of checking

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 hours ago, Paul616 said:

If you plan on being a long term stacker or plan to stack a large quantity of PM, then it makes sense to buy a Sigma or a GVS Bullion Tester.  The cost of the equipment will pay for itself when it detects a fake in your stack (or before you purchase a PM).  Just some food for thought.