• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How Should a Newbie go about selling precious metals on The Silver Forum? It's a rhetorical question!!!

• FFposh changed the title to How Should a Newbie go about selling precious metals on The Silver Forum? It's a rhetorical question!!!

As a guide how much does this cost, is it a % or fixed fee per item?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

As a guide how much does this cost, is it a % or fixed fee per item?

Generally it is 2% of the value of the trade but with a minimum of £25.

It also depends somewhat on how many individual items there are involved too. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Thanks I think I get it. So the 2% /£25 is for the joblot with an addition for each handling/order.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

8 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Thanks I think I get it. So the 2% /£25 is for the joblot with an addition for each handling/order.

Yep, for the joblot.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Absolutely agree with your strategy. I’ve followed your trade with interest and am glad it’s concluded successfully. I personally went down the route of post first and sell cheap but that was on generic bullion silver. Can I ask that now you have good trading feedback would you consider it going alone, so to speak, on your next trade whenever that may be?

Evening @Agaumac, it's a bit of a weird one really. I just wanted to sell what I wanted to sell to tidy up my stack and move forward, so didn't really want to take too long about it. The money from the 2 x gold 1/4s I sold went straight on new 1/4 Oz's so I didn't lose out with the recent increase in price which was handy.

Apart from not having anything else to get rid of, hypothetically speaking, I do consider myself very new to this game still, even after my sales, and in the grand scheme of things I still am. Having bought and now sold on the forum I have seen the need for mutual trust from both sides. There is also the forum dialogue which may help in case of attempted cheating/fraud.

I think that if I was to put any silver up for sale I would probably do it myself now, hoping that I've earned enough trust, however, looking at my 'ratings' I could see why people who have been on here for years may still be a bit reticent to trust me on a 1oz gold coin perhaps. It's a lot of money to hand over to essentially an anonymous seller with no real receipt or point of contact other than what could be a small string of messages. Hence, as long as the buyer had a higher rating than me I would be happy to send prior to payment, but realistically, if I wanted a quick sale and cash in my hand, I would still be happy to take a small percentage hit to prove the coins' validity. 

If I'm being honest, I'd think twice before buying something of huge value from the anonymous person on this forum so why would I expect anyone to buy from me?? 

I also know that the cost to weight ratio is important to many on the forum so some would be reluctant to go down the verification route. However, you see posts that may be a month old, so is it worth that small fee to just help get the transaction done? I would argue that it is.

So to summarize, I think it all depends on value, and how quick you want the sale.

Another thing I've just thought of is that once the coins were sent away for verification and I had composed the sales post, there was very little left for me to do. Like I alluded to in the post above, I didn't have to package numerous batches of coins/bars nor make an equal number of trips to the post office to post them. 

And finally, I did have a 10oz Queens beast and 2 x 2 oz QBs from eBay (which as it happens, I didn't want to sell), so to get these validated was very reassuring.

l still believe that I got a great deal from @BackyardBullion and am incredibly happy that I employed his services. It just negated any 'trust' issues and made my sales very pain free. I would feasibly use him in the future, especially for expensive items, I think the picture of a coin on the Sigma just puts everyone at ease. There's a lot to be said for that.

All hypothetical anyway, I now have 3 of everything, gold and silver, with 3 kids to give them to.

Unless something extremely untowards happens in the future, there should be no need to ask myself the original question!!

I hope this in some way explains how I feel about it all, I am aware it became a bit 'War and Peace' so sorry for that. It's a bit difficult to explain just in writing.

Take it easy mate👊

26 minutes ago, FFposh said:

Evening @Agaumac, it's a bit of a weird one really. I just wanted to sell what I wanted to sell to tidy up my stack and move forward, so didn't really want to take too long about it. The money from the 2 x gold 1/4s I sold went straight on new 1/4 Oz's so I didn't lose out with the recent increase in price which was handy.

Apart from not having anything else to get rid of, hypothetically speaking, I do consider myself very new to this game still, even after my sales, and in the grand scheme of things I still am. Having bought and now sold on the forum I have seen the need for mutual trust from both sides. There is also the forum dialogue which may help in case of attempted cheating/fraud.

I think that if I was to put any silver up for sale I would probably do it myself now, hoping that I've earned enough trust, however, looking at my 'ratings' I could see why people who have been on here for years may still be a bit reticent to trust me on a 1oz gold coin perhaps. It's a lot of money to hand over to essentially an anonymous seller with no real receipt or point of contact other than what could be a small string of messages. Hence, as long as the buyer had a higher rating than me I would be happy to send prior to payment, but realistically, if I wanted a quick sale and cash in my hand, I would still be happy to take a small percentage hit to prove the coins' validity. 

If I'm being honest, I'd think twice before buying something of huge value from the anonymous person on this forum so why would I expect anyone to buy from me?? 

I also know that the cost to weight ratio is important to many on the forum so some would be reluctant to go down the verification route. However, you see posts that may be a month old, so is it worth that small fee to just help get the transaction done? I would argue that it is.

So to summarize, I think it all depends on value, and how quick you want the sale.

Another thing I've just thought of is that once the coins were sent away for verification and I had composed the sales post, there was very little left for me to do. Like I alluded to in the post above, I didn't have to package numerous batches of coins/bars nor make an equal number of trips to the post office to post them. 

And finally, I did have a 10oz Queens beast and 2 x 2 oz QBs from eBay (which as it happens, I didn't want to sell), so to get these validated was very reassuring.

l still believe that I got a great deal from @BackyardBullion and am incredibly happy that I employed his services. It just negated any 'trust' issues and made my sales very pain free. I would feasibly use him in the future, especially for expensive items, I think the picture of a coin on the Sigma just puts everyone at ease. There's a lot to be said for that.

All hypothetical anyway, I now have 3 of everything, gold and silver, with 3 kids to give them to.

Unless something extremely untowards happens in the future, there should be no need to ask myself the original question!!

I hope this in some way explains how I feel about it all, I am aware it became a bit 'War and Peace' so sorry for that. It's a bit difficult to explain just in writing.

Take it easy mate👊

Great answer. I think I’ve arrived at the same conclusion. Big value goes via the intermediary service @BackyardBullion, bullion silver I’ll take my chances. On my first sale @Gruffposted a picture of one of my coins in the ‘ today I received ‘ section on his sigma machine showing 9999 which was a great reassurance potentially for future buyers. I’m still touched by that gesture to this day.

3 of everything…..but how many maples you got? Only one click away and may even swap for first edition ‘ war ‘n’ peace ‘ 

@Agaumac it was my pleasure, and I hope that by me doing that, as well as being fairly active on this forum, even if it is mostly replying to posts or comments on posts, with the occasional purchase from forum members, that that aids in the trust levels of other members on this forum when I come to sell some items at some point. 

And perhaps if @BackyardBullion is unavailable to provide intermediary services in the future for people I could assist too. The sigma device does help with that. 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

I don't have any maples! Not Au anyway!!! Yet!

I do think @Gruff makes a good point too. Somebody may not buy/sell too often but by posting regularly, their name stays current so that when they do post a sale people are more likely to assume s/he is trustworthy. Just being on the forum for a while with loads of posts show that you are more likely to be on the level, and not likely to disappear into the sunset, compared to a newbie who turns up offloading a quarter of his silver stack in one sitting 🤔🤣.

Also, when trying to price gold on the forum, apart from trying to help a mate out (who isn't really a mate!) surely no one will buy if the price is only a smidge less than a dealer, I'd pay the extra for peace of mind. I think you have to accept that you may not actually achieve what you originally envisaged from a sale, which can be disappointing but on the flip side, maybe you could pick up a bargain too! If you are prepared to gamble with your money. I think I'd rather know every time, the more I think about it tbh🤷

Forgot to mention, written feedback is important in that people think that are happy with what they received but it still doesn't prove much unfortunately. @Gruffs photos would have been priceless as far as you were concerned as it essentially did what @BackyardBullion did for me. The purchase wasn't such a gamble for him, as there would be a 'paper trail' to show where he 'probably' purchased it should it have proven fake on his Sigma! Maybe we all need to take one big initial hit and buy a Sigma each. Although only after I've bought shares in the company of course👍

@FFposh , @BackyardBullion did a great video on the Sigma Metalytics device, I've attached for reference.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is an expensive purchase, but if you're wanting to buy and sell, then it gives both buyer and seller peace of mind. But for the majority of people I can see that they would struggle to justify the cost for the apparent benefit from little use. Hopefully mine will get more use and as I said I'm happy to provide a service to the forum, albeit being mindful of not wanting to step on @BackyardBullion's toes as he already provides that service.

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

4 minutes ago, FFposh said:

Forgot to mention, written feedback is important in that people think that are happy with what they received but it still doesn't prove much unfortunately. @Gruffs photos would have been priceless as far as you were concerned as it essentially did what @BackyardBullion did for me. The purchase wasn't such a gamble for him, as there would be a 'paper trail' to show where he 'probably' purchased it should it have proven fake on his Sigma! Maybe we all need to take one big initial hit and buy a Sigma each. Although only after I've bought shares in the company of course👍

Absolutely, that one picture was worth a great amount to me. Totally agree with your thoughts on gold too. With spot price ups and downs just now it’s difficult to place below dealers whilst still offering value to TSF members.

I haven’t seen much gold selling here heavier than a sovereign and appreciate that it’s chunky numbers for buyers. If the timing is right maybe selling gold to dealers might turn out to be just as cost effective.