• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 I oz Royal Coat of Arms - worth buying?

RDHC

I ask the question because its limited edition of 5000 (apparently) might in theory give it some numismatic value in due course. On the other hand, I am deeply sceptical  of 'limited editions' and I get the impression that the MInt has not actually produced the full quota as yet, which suggests that demand is sluggish. The design is attractive, though not so spectacular as some of the Queen's Beasts (and even their current high prices for the more sought-after Beasts strike me as excessive for the long term), but will that be enough plus some (perhaps questionable) scarcity value to make it a sensible investment?

I'm even more sceptical about the 'limited edition' advertising now that I discover that it has been issued in 2020and 2021, and that the Mint has coins in stock for at least the latter two years,  i.e. it is not a red hot seller. And If it is 'limited' to 5000 for each year, then it is not really limited at all. The Mint could go on producing it indefinitely like the Britannias, which do at least have the merit of several different variants over the years. 

6 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Is it only 2021 with mintage number?

That I don't Know, I'm afraid. The other years are quite readily obtainable, the 2019 seems quite scarce.

I'm a bit afraid that this just another Mint idea for making people buy chunks of gold which will turn out to have only bullion value in years to come, though its design is better and with a genuine pedigree, unlike some of their special editions (best not to name them for fear of offending those that might have bought them, but perhaps you can guess examples of what I mean).

7 hours ago, modofantasma said:

I bought a gold royal arms and would buy more if the price is similar to a britannia. I paid literally a few quid more. Would I pay 1% or more extra compared to a Brit.. No personally not. I just like the design 

Me too, I like the design too. If it's like what you said 1% over Britannia, I will choose Royal Arms as well.  However, those 2019 and 2020 seems now well over the 1% benchmark😭

20 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

Me too, I like the design too. If it's like what you said 1% over Britannia, I will choose Royal Arms as well.  However, those 2019 and 2020 seems now well over the 1% benchmark😭

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/1oz-gold-2019-COA

20 available there at a reasonable price 
The 2021 which I bought was '2nd hand' and it was under 4 % premium delivered at the time 

12 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/1oz-gold-2019-COA

20 available there at a reasonable price 
The 2021 which I bought was '2nd hand' and it was under 4 % premium delivered at the time 

Thank you for the link.  But I need to save some money for the upcoming Nov n Dec launch...

For the 2021, I just checked and it was also bought with around 4% premium.  Although it was brand new directly from a dealer, it has a scratch on cheek which I didn't notice.  Maybe I was too excited at that moment, what a lesson learnt😭

Edited by Bruce06

I like the design of this coin personally and have bought the 2019, 2020 and 2021 versions in gold.  And the 10 oz silver 2020 and the 1 oz Platinum 2020.  But I don't think they will ever gain much numisatic premium because at the moment, they are minting enough of them every year, and anyone who wants an example of the design should be able to find one quite easily.

So my advice would be to add one (or more) to your stack or collection if you like it, but be under no illusions about the likely exit price when and if you come to sell. 

13 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I like the design of this coin personally and have bought the 2019, 2020 and 2021 versions in gold.  And the 10 oz silver 2020 and the 1 oz Platinum 2020.  But I don't think they will ever gain much numisatic premium because at the moment, they are minting enough of them every year, and anyone who wants an example of the design should be able to find one quite easily.

So my advice would be to add one (or more) to your stack or collection if you like it, but be under no illusions about the likely exit price when and if you come to sell. 

Yes, that makes good sense.