• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is your investment strategy - rather confused?

Hello i have heard a lot about SIPPS on here and as most of you know have been round the houses on what to invest in for my future. 
Just wondering that everyones allocations are and a bit of detail or history behind what they have chosen and why?

Pensions: 
I have been looking into a private pension, but being self employed is there any point saving money in a SIPP when I have a stock ISA. 
Surely I would be better off drip feeding into stocks or just waiting for the markets to reverse/crash as I do think thats on the cards. 
Even so i could plough 10k in to Polymetal today & ideally receive a 6+% dividend on a yearly basis for there next 20 years, not to mention a boom in the silver price!
Whats the point given that inflation will eat away my currency?
is it for tax purposes or something or for people that don't understand money & piss it up the wall on c**p pension fund management (ie UK retail stocks & bonds) & fees?

Metals: 
I have an amount of metals & will continue to buy gold mainly as physical so thats all good. 
This is the one thing I can see as a valuable store of wealth & also a rainy day or SHTF time hedge. 

Property:
I intend to buy a property or get and live on land and rent out my current house, but what am I missing. 
Again I find that the time to buy is not now - probably 5 or 10 years down the road - which gives me time to save and plan. 
Again I recon i could borrow the deposit on 0.5% interst and get a house next month and have the tenants pay for it- is this advisable?? 

Stock market: 
Making cash on the stock market has been hard for me, but its work in progress. 
I need to view it more as an investment portal and now is not the time for long term investments. 

Income streams & side hustles:
What other things am I missing that make you a profit and dont take up too much time?? 

Tangibles: 
I find this to be a bit speculative - I have looked at collecting rums and all sorts, but it takes up space and there is no guarantee that they will go up in price. 
Again somehting like Whisky and watches have a track record so if I had absolute conviction into a new undervalued asset then I would consider it. 
But it wont make me rich and takes up a lot of time and effort in some circumstances. 

Rent out the wife?? Only kidding ;) 

What am I missing folks as its about time i got my act together and created a decent plan that does not take up my crucial time & energy with my family!! 
Im 40 by the way & dont have a lot in the way in savings, but my mortgage is due next year and I have about £115k in that, so will extract as much as possible. 

Edited by Stacktastic

I like property and shares for investment. People have their biases and there are potential pros and cons to different assets.

Metals I see differently, as an insurance or long term savings. 

In property you can have both capital appreciation and regular cashflow, there's the option of using leverage and it's scalable. Whilst people might not have disposable income to put into shares at times, they do need somewhere to live and in the right area there's only so much land available for building new houses (if any) 

For shares there's a lot of flexibility and generally it's quicker to liquidate equally it's often possible to get both capital appreciation and some cashflow but using leverage here is far more risky I feel. 

With any asset class it's good to remember you make your money when you buy. There are more and less optimal strategies in each asset class too. 

The only 2 things I can give my opinion on is watches and whisky/rum mate.

Watches: Is a long game as the business model has changed and if you sell any of your in demand watches you will be blacklisted. So essentially you need to have a lot of spare cash to get every model you will ever need and then decide to make the profit. So a very long game and also a few different factors make it hard to even get in the door.

1. Salary - You will always need 10-20k on hand in case the phone call comes in for the model you have registered interest for.

2. Taking an initial loss - You will most likely take a loss on your first watches/watches this way it helps the dealer see that you are in to watches and not a flipper. 

3. Building the relationship - The dealer needs to want to give you the in demand models so you will need to be quite friendly. 

4. Sheer luck. You could wait 6 months for a watch. You could wait 2 weeks for a watch. You could wait 3 years. Its a hard game to realise a stable return. 

Whisky/rum: As someone who works in that industry I would say that if you do not then it will be hard to make a good return. You need to know that everyone that works for these companies can get these bottles for usually less than half of retail price. So you will always need to be on the lookout for deals and it will take up some amount of time to try this. As you stated there is also the space issue. I currently own 48 Bottles of whisky and I have maxed out the amount of room I have for it. Even having this amount of bottles wont make it worthwhile in the long run. I feel a lot of people who have big collections of whisky tend to work in the industry. 

Could be wrong but that's all from personal experience over the last 5 years. 

• 2 months later...
On 02/10/2021 at 17:24, FlorinCollector said:

As someone who works in that industry I would say that if you do not then it will be hard to make a good return.

Considering accumulating foursquare.

Apart from the actions any ideas how to get desirable Foursquare bottles as they always sell out! 
Is there a service that notifies people when they combine stock on various websites? 
If there isnt then that would be a good idea. 

2 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

@Stacktastic Sorry mate I am really narrow minded on buying the same stuff and I don’t know anything about Foursquare tbh. 

I have never even heard of that brand. I don’t drink any whisky though so that doesn’t help.

Its a rum brand. probably one of the most collectible & its always sold out. 

https://altamarbrands.com/brands/foursquare-rum-distillery/ 

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use