• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

MA Shops - Has Anyone Used Them Since Brexit?

Tozer

Actually, Ma-shops is only a web platform for individual dealers. You should see the specific dealer for your coin on the coin's page. Most of them are German, but not all. So check your seller's country first - there are even some non-EU sellers there. The shipping terms and potential customs implications of your purchase will depend on the respective seller.

Yes, I have just (5 mins. ago) bought a Chile 100 pesos (or 'diez condores') gold coin from a German shop. Very reasonable price for what looks like one in super good condition. Unfortunately, given only a mobile phone camera, I doubt if I'll be able to post a photo even when it arrives in my hands. These Chilean coins are really very attractive for non-royal, republican coins. I'd back 'La Chileana'  against a French 'Marianne', and the reverse with a condor and mountain deer(?) on a rocky mountain slope (I think) as the supporters for Chile's 'Star' is not bad at all, even if not quite the equal of a Victorian shield reverse.

At least one of my purchases is on it's was anyway, and I received an intorductory email from an english speaking representative of Le Comptoir des Monnaises, the firm I bought from, suggesting that if I purchase from the again, to use a private email address, for which he will offer a 10% discount and priority shipping.

I then got an email from numiscorner.com, advising that my purchase was on it's way, so I am guessing that a number of firms are working together and cross advertising for a cut of the purchase price. 

8 hours ago, Richym99 said:

At least one of my purchases is on it's was anyway, and I received an intorductory email from an english speaking representative of Le Comptoir des Monnaises, the firm I bought from, suggesting that if I purchase from the again, to use a private email address, for which he will offer a 10% discount and priority shipping.

I then got an email from numiscorner.com, advising that my purchase was on it's way, so I am guessing that a number of firms are working together and cross advertising for a cut of the purchase price. 

In fact, it is just the same firm. On ma-shops they sell under their actual firm's name Comptoir des Monnaies, while their own site is for obvious reasons operated under more international numiscorner.com name. Good dealer nevertheless, though, as is usually the case with online numismatic shops, can be a bit pricey...

4 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

In fact, it is just the same firm. On ma-shops they sell under their actual firm's name Comptoir des Monnaies, while their own site is for obvious reasons operated under more international numiscorner.com name. Good dealer nevertheless, though, as is usually the case with online numismatic shops, can be a bit pricey...

I must have got a pretty good deal then. I compared the £422 I paid for each of the MS graded 1930P (MS63) and 1931P (MS62) with what was available elsewhere and didn't find a comparable price. Chards price for a VF 1930P is £521 ungraded. 

3 hours ago, Richym99 said:

I must have got a pretty good deal then. I compared the £422 I paid for each of the MS graded 1930P (MS63) and 1931P (MS62) with what was available elsewhere and didn't find a comparable price. Chards price for a VF 1930P is £521 ungraded. 

Fair enough if that was a good deal - I do not collect sovereigns so have no idea, but a quick search reveals that at least one of those years could have been obtained from The Coin Cabinet auction somewhat cheaper recently. So as usual, it's just a trade-off buying a specific year for slightly more from a numishop, rather than having to wait for a possible but uncertain better deal at an auction.

Also I am not sure if you mean that your coins should be graded and slabbed? Because this dealer routinely mentions grades for their coins according to their grading opinion but they are not officially graded and slabbed by NGC or PCGS, unless they picture them so and state that in the description. 

7 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

Fair enough if that was a good deal - I do not collect sovereigns so have no idea, but a quick search reveals that at least one of those years could have been obtained from The Coin Cabinet auction somewhat cheaper recently. So as usual, it's just a trade-off buying a specific year for slightly more from a numishop, rather than having to wait for a possible but uncertain better deal at an auction.

Undoubtedly, everyone will find one cheaper at auction. While the 1931 was £40 cheaper in the last CC auction, the 1930 was £40 more expensive. Swings and roundabouts really. 

Received the first of two coins I purchased from CDMA. 

I had an email from Royal Mail on Thursday to indicate they had received notification of an inbound package and that it's value suggested there woukd be duty to pay.

The package was delivered this morning with another SD. It is in ungraded condition, which supports the previous suggestion that grades are indicative. (In this case MS62) Paperwork was made out to correctly indicate 0% vat payable, and no charge has been raised by the Royal Mail. 

All in all, very satisfied, and the coin will be off for grading next week.  

IMG_20210925_101957983_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210925_102020622_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210925_102035756_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Edited by Richym99

4 minutes ago, Tozer said:

Thanks for the report, Richy. I was most curious about inbound duty as I've heard it go both ways. I'm glad to hear your experience was positive. 

I cannot say that it will be the same for every company out there, but the CDMA seemed to have it nailed.