• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014.ย Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topicย posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :)ย happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads.ย 

1989 3 Coin Sovereign Set

Hi everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป I'm new here.

I hope I haven't posted in the wrong category, lol.

I'm being offered a 1989 set by the original owner for ยฃ2,750.

He wanted more, but I tried being a bit hard on him and reminded him a lot of people don't have that kind of money to spend atm. ๐Ÿ˜„

The coins are immaculate.

Decent deal, or give it a swerve?

ย 

8 hours ago, Gordon said:

Looking at ebay sold listings in auction its about a ok deal. I think that ยฃ2600-ยฃ2800 seams to be the ebay auction price at the momentย 

Hello Gordon, thanks for the info! There's 2 selling on ebay right now for ยฃ3,100 and ยฃ3,700 but I liked that this guy was the original owner, so it hasn't passed through 30 sets of hands. โ˜บ

Any ideas on a fair price for a 2002 set? That's on my radar for the next purchase now.

ย 

2 hours ago, Floyd1504 said:

Hello Gordon, thanks for the info! There's 2 selling on ebay right now for ยฃ3,100 and ยฃ3,700 but I liked that this guy was the original owner, so it hasn't passed through 30 sets of hands. โ˜บ

Any ideas on a fair price for a 2002 set? That's on my radar for the next purchase now.

Spink Coins of England lists it at a value of ยฃ1600

Thank you Geo.ย 

I only started collecting a year ago and it's pretty obvious I have a lot toย learn ๐Ÿ˜…

Although the set is lovely and in its original box etc and with the low issue number of 0092, the buyer wanted ยฃ1,799.

I've collected Titanic memorabilia all my life, but after 30 years of collecting, I really have run out of room. I began collecting silver and gold Titanic coins, then drifted into numismatics.

I'm a bit bowled over by how beautiful some of them are and don't know how I didn't start collecting before now.

Though it all feels rather fixed at times ๐Ÿ˜ค

I tried to get the 2021 tudor rose (which had a mintage of 50) Iย couldn't get one, but see a seller on ebay with 2, so obviously people buy them just to sell them on again at double the price.

That's just ugh!! ๐Ÿ˜ 

There is unfortunately a lot of traders buying up the coins to flip them in the secondary market at a profit.ย 

The problem when you start out is that you feel a bit like a kid in a sweet shop, all these lovely things around. Easy to be distracted into different designs and series.

Sometimes best to take a step back and think about where you want to take it. Then focus on a selected area (like you have done with the Titanic's). Draw up a list of what your target coins are and avoid straying too far from that otherwise you will run out of money long before you have achieved your objective. Patience and research.

The forum is also a good place to buy or even list it as wanted. You are more inclined to find good honest deals here. Also buying from reputable dealers listed elsewhere on the forum. Ebay is still a minefield.ย 

Good luckย with your collection! It is a great way to accumulate beautiful objects that youย can enjoy whilst at the same time building wealth.

That's actually some pretty sound advice Geo and I'm seriously guilty of straying into 5 other things from looking at one. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

I definitely won't run out of money though, I'm fine that way, though I feel sympathy for a lot of people who have been financially wrecked in the past 2 years. I've saw a lot of personal things being sold online between a few different platforms and you can tell by what's being sold that they're seriously struggling. ๐Ÿ˜

Collecting coins is pretty cheap compared to Titanic memorabilia,ย  but when I started,ย I quickly realised Titanic coins wereย limited and I got a little bored. Then I stumbled across the restrike of the Edward III double leopard and bang!! That was me well and truly hooked, I loved the design so much that I bought 3 of them from the same seller, but they led me into numismatics.

Yeah you're right about ebay, only last month I bought a 1oz American eagle from a lad in Plymouth, I ran a neodymium magnet over the PCGS slab and it was okay. Then I weighed it and it was only 50 grams, I instantly knew something was off and took a 1912 sovereign I have in the same slab and banged it on the scales, I just roared with laughter, a simple bit of math told me the eagle should've weighed a lot more, when a sovereign in the identical slab weighed 36 grams. PCGS actually ended up flagging the cert number with a message that anyone owning a coin with that cert should contact them. I asked the ladย to keep me updated about what happened when he contacted them. Unsurprisingly I've never heard from him again. ๐Ÿคฃ

The only problem I had with a company was Chard. I bought a 2004 pattern set from them and as soon as it arrived, I could see the unicorn and dragon badly scratched.ย  When I called then, they were instantly defensive and told me 3 different people examined the coins before they were sent, I don't think the girl appreciated me telling her that those 3 people badly needed an eye exam, I sent them pics straight away to show them. 24 hours later, they got back to me and insinuated that I'd switched the coins. I asked to speak with Lawrence and the panicked and told me to send the set back, I sent it back and they refunded me, yet still chargedย for the postage. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm pretty laid back and it takes a lot to make me angry, so I just thought it was funny.

I used to build model ships as a kid,ย so Iย seem to have eagle eyes. I'm still in thatย kid in a candy store phase with the coins,ย  but people buying them just to flip them is something that does make me feel a little miffed. It's as bad as ticket touts.

I'm glad I've found a place like this though, as I can get advice from more experienced collectors. I don't know if people can buy and sell on here, but I'd definitely feel 10 times safer doing it here than somewhere like ebay, lol.

Collecting is quite a fun thing. I have over the years bought mostly for stacking and more recently expanded into numismatics. The comment about straying into related areas comes from personal experienceย ๐Ÿ˜„ย I now tend to focus on selected proofย  Britannia's and some sovereigns.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Chards. I have dealt with them probably 100 times and have never had a bad experience.ย 

The forum is a good place to get advice. There is often some good deals in the Buy/Sell section but you may have to upgrade to the silver membership, otherwise there are few listings that you can see.

BTW, your earlier question about the 1989 Sovereign set. I thought it was a decent price if you know or trust the seller. I have paid slightly more than that for a similar set that I bought from a reputable dealer. I have seen them listed at dealers between ยฃ3100 to ยฃ3700. They are quite popular.

Yeah Geo, I'm honestly surprised I didn't get into this sooner, as I've always had a thing for gold since teenage years,ย  but I'm embarrassed to admit that was more in the range of a 6oz curb bracelet and a 2 oz chain with a 1oz bar of gold on it. In fact the only thing I've kept from those days is a black opal ring which is very understated, until a strong light hits it.ย When I think back to wearing that amount of gold, I wonder wtf I was thinking, I looked ridiculous ๐Ÿ˜‚ The cringe is very strong lol.

I'm very bad for straying, and it's made worse by the fact that I only have a year's worth of items and I'm seeing all this amazing stuff.ย The 1989 sovereign set is something I've been wanting for a while, when I came across this guy and he could provide the original purchase receipt with his name on it, I knew I had to have it. I reckoned that would be better than a set which had gone through the hands of 20 different people. There's only one slight problem with it, I have it in front of me now and the half and sovereign look perfect. However... I've looked at the double with my eyes and through a loupe and can see that the inner leaves of the tudor rose lookย dull, while the other 2 are so shiny, they look like they're almost glowing. I suspect someone has touched the double with bare fingers and I'm sure I could see a very faint finger print when using the loupe. I don't know if conservation would fix that, but I have the manager for PCGS Europe on my WhatsApp and Sergey is a great guy andย said they'd really do the best they could (as all 3 were going for conservation before grading anyway) I've spoke to the seller about it and pointed it out to him. Although they won't admit it, he thinks one of his kids might've sneaked in and had a look and I can believe that. It's the sort of thing I mightve did myself,ย  purely because they're gold. It also makes sense that a kid would've went for the biggest one. Unfortunately the reverse side shows the same dullness, though it's not much, I'm 99% sure someone's touched it with bare hands. I'm not sure if it's a case of the damage is already done, but I guess the only other way is too buy them already slabbed.

I was just beginning to find my way around when you sent the last reply. I'll definitely be upgrading the membership and this place is great to speak to other collectors, up to now I've just been winging it. ๐Ÿ˜„ I've been lucky to spot the 4 fake items people have tried to sell me, but the American eagle was scary because everything looked perfect and it was non magnetic. The slab didn't look like it had been tampered with and if it wasn't forย me putting theย slab on the scales, I'd never have known.

Someone from here with much more experience would probably have seen other things I didn't, so that experience pushed me into joining this

ย 

Haha, we all have things that we did when we were younger and think, did I really do that?

I really hope they can clear it up with conservation. Fingerprints are deadly, but what's even more deadly is if they try to wipe off the print. The hairline scratches that causes can tot be lifted.

There are a few books I could recommend that I have found useful. For modern coins:

Coins of England, Decimal Issues: Spink 2021

The Gold Sovereign Series: Michael Marsh

For older Coins: Coins of England: Spink

As a cross reference on issues and prices: Coin Yearbook 2021

You may get some on Amazon, you can order from Spink directly. The Gold Sovereign Series I ordered from Chards as it was out of stack elsewhere.

Seriously? Say for instance they did it with something cotton, because although I thought I could see the remains of a print, it does look like it might've been rubbed with something. If it let's me add a pic, you'll see what I'm talking about,ย  regarding how dead looking inside of the the tudor rose is.

Screenshot_20210719-150745_Gallery.jpg

Maybe worth asking the seller if they have in any way wiped or rubbed the coin? If they say yes, I suggest you return the set as it would substantially reduce the value and the rating agencies may label it "Cleaned" at worst or grade it as say PF65.

If the deny cleaning it you could say that you are sending it for conservation and grading and if it comes back with an adverse report or grading you reserve the right to return to them for a refund.

If you are uncertain about the coin, it's probably safer to return it.ย ย 

I've already packed it up. I had a really good look at it through the loupe and I can actually tell that they've handled it by the index finger on top of the rose. Going by the size of the print, I can tell its been someone young, but after what you said, I had a really good look and I can definitely see some lines. I guess if I had a stronger loupe I'd probably be horrified.

That was enough, when I saw them, I imagined at PCGS,ย  there'll have some super duper thing that makes it look like someone's taken a brillo pad to it. I told the seller I'll pay the return postage, as it was worth the ยฃ8 to admire it for a few days. ๐Ÿคฃ

Aw damn! There's always others.

Before you put it in the post, let me just share something Iย have just learned. I am going through a similar thing. Bought a set of 2003 Britannia's from an Ebay trader with 1000's of 100% positive feedback. Set arrived with fingerprints on it. Busy returning it after arguments etc.

I assume you plan on returning it Royal Mail Special delivery. The maximum value you can insure is ยฃ2500. What they hide in the small print is that if the content is even 1p over that value, the insurance is invalidated. Your set was ยฃ2750 if I remember correctly. You would therefore have to split it into two parcels. Take say the one sovereign coin out and package it up separately. Send it off in two parcels making sure you declare an adequate insurance cover on both.

A bit cumbersome but at least you are covered. Just explain that to the other party.

ย 

BackyardBullion

• BackyardBullionGrand Master
  • Official Sponsor
  • offical_sponsor.png.5ee5f2580ee7279acb2b
  • Stacker/Collector:ย Both

So, I have recently been having issues with Royal Mail.ย 

Having done some digging I feel it is my duty to share some information previously unknown to me about their Special Delivery insurance "service"

Firstly, Special delivery is the only service that will cover precious metals, coins, money, jewellery etc.ย 

You can get cover of ยฃ500, ยฃ1000 or ยฃ2500 for your parcel.ย 

I bet you didn't know however that if your parcel has a total value of ยฃ2500.01 + (even just a penny more) then your entire insurance is invalidated. Indeed you can also be on the hook for any costs and legal fee's that are incurred by Royal Mail for this parcel.ย 

This is taken from their general terms and conditions.ย 

1586320298_RoyalMail.jpg.d8f0449d16ea0eac87b40bb14792662d.jpg

So, be very careful and understand what you are getting yourself into if you are selling and posting coins worth more than this.ย 

As a business I am better suited to go to an insurance company for external cover - but for the average person and seller this is not a practical option.ย 

Royal Mail = Pirates. Ye be warned!

On 17/07/2021 at 22:31, Floyd1504 said:

Hi everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿป I'm new here.

I hope I haven't posted in the wrong category, lol.

I'm being offered a 1989 set by the original owner for ยฃ2,750.

He wanted more, but I tried being a bit hard on him and reminded him a lot of people don't have that kind of money to spend atm. ๐Ÿ˜„

The coins are immaculate.

Decent deal, or give it a swerve?

ย 

Does this help?:

https://www.chards.co.uk/1989-three-coin-sovereign-set-gold-proof/1274ย ยฃ2814

But,ย the bad news:ย ๐Ÿ™‚

"Add Stock Alert" - means we don't have one in stock, but that is a genuine price based that we would be asking now based on the last one we sold.

Chards

That's crazy, but I didn't wonder if I'd have a problem there. Well bugger that, I'll drive the 15 mile into Belfast and get the ebay label printed out.

Lawrence, I know you guys have a good name, but the way I was treated over the 2004 pattern set I bought was crazy. Yeah I might've been a bit cheeky saying they needed an eye exam, but for her to tell me 3 different people examined the coins before they were sent out laughable. ๐Ÿ˜„ 2 of them were terribly scratched and the girl acted like it was my fault. ๐Ÿค”

On 7/19/2021 at 4:45 AM, Floyd1504 said:

Thank you Geo.ย 

I only started collecting a year ago and it's pretty obvious I have a lot toย learn ๐Ÿ˜…

Although the set is lovely and in its original box etc and with the low issue number of 0092, the buyer wanted ยฃ1,799.

I've collected Titanic memorabilia all my life, but after 30 years of collecting, I really have run out of room. I began collecting silver and gold Titanic coins, then drifted into numismatics.

I'm a bit bowled over by how beautiful some of them are and don't know how I didn't start collecting before now.

Though it all feels rather fixed at times ๐Ÿ˜ค

I tried to get the 2021 tudor rose (which had a mintage of 50) Iย couldn't get one, but see a seller on ebay with 2, so obviously people buy them just to sell them on again at double the price.

That's just ugh!! ๐Ÿ˜ 

2021 tudor rose ? i dont find any information can you show the photo?

4 hours ago, JJH said:

2021 tudor rose ? i dont find any information can you show the photo?

Hi JJH, I tried to purchase one, but obviously it says it can't be purchased. It looks nice, not as nice as a Royal mint one though. It seems the vultures have all swooped in early. ๐Ÿ˜ช

Screenshot_20210721-130146_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Floyd1504 said:

Hi JJH, I tried to purchase one, but obviously it says it can't be purchased. It looks nice, not as nice as a Royal mint one though. It seems the vultures have all swooped in early. ๐Ÿ˜ช

Screenshot_20210721-130146_Chrome.jpg

Try the following link as it does allow you to add to your basket.ย  I haven't tried to check out so it may be that it's out of stock but probably worth a try.

https://www.theeastindiacompany.com/bullion/2021-double-sovereign-gold-proof-coin/

ย 

ย 

Screenshot_20210721-152648_Chrome.jpg

Total is100 so where are the lost 50?and really I dint think it as beautiful as royal mint too, iwas think it may be a special new design,but now it look like just copy

7 hours ago, JJH said:

ย 

Yeah it's just a modern copy.

Praetorian, I already tried the checkout 2 or 3 days ago. Unfortunately no joy. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜ช

On 19/07/2021 at 16:51, Floyd1504 said:

That's crazy, but I didn't wonder if I'd have a problem there. Well bugger that, I'll drive the 15 mile into Belfast and get the ebay label printed out.

Lawrence, I know you guys have a good name, but the way I was treated over the 2004 pattern set I bought was crazy. Yeah I might've been a bit cheeky saying they needed an eye exam, but for her to tell me 3 different people examined the coins before they were sent out laughable. ๐Ÿ˜„ 2 of them were terribly scratched and the girl acted like it was my fault. ๐Ÿค”

It sounds like you are responded to 2 different people and posts here.

I simple tip in forums is to use the "Quote" link below the post you are responding to, as I have just done here. That way members can see that you have responded to them, and know which post youi are responding to. This should make life easier for you and anyone trying to help you or to follow the thread. You can also tag members in by using the "@" key followed by their user name.

I can see from one of your earlier posts that you returned the set, and we refunded you.

Our Customer Service team are very good, and I very much doubt the anyone of wouldย panic if or because someone asked to speak to me.

You do seem to be quite unlucky in many of your dealings. Few will be surprised about ebay fakes and fraudsters.

It's good that you are using TSF, and I hope your luck with coin purchases improves.

Chards

Hi Lawrence,ย  I'm honestly not looking for an argument with you.

I'm a totally chilled guy, the customer service were hostile with me and I won't change what I've said regarding that, because it's the truth. I guess the girl maybe just had a bad day, but it's all good. Life's too short for grudges. ๐Ÿ™‚

It'sย not that I'm unlucky with many of my dealings, the only problems I've had in 18 months was with you guys, deciding to send that sovereign set back, because after I bought a stronger loupe I could then see how damaged the double sovereign was. The only other problem was a fake 1oz American eagle which I bought from ebay, but I gained something 100 times more important, Lawrence. I became so friendly with Sergey, the manager of PCGS Europe,to the point where he's now on my WhatsApp. So as you'll probably agree, coming across that fake eagle was worth it.

It's going to take me some time to learn how everything works on here, Lawrence.ย  I'm an Osteosarcoma patient, so depending what time of the day it is, I can have anything up to 150mg of Morphine in me.

Sometimes I'm amazed I can type at all. ๐Ÿ™ƒ