• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

App for managing PM portfolio

I’ve seen topics on and off about this. I’ve also sampled a few apps that are out there. None were really to my liking. I myself currently use an excel worksheet that I keep tinkering with.

I wanted to ask what people think about the current offerings, how you keep track of your PMs, and, if there was an app that helped to do the same, whether you would use it.  Or what would you want it to have for you to use it.

I am considering developing an app and wanted to gauge the interest of actual PM investors and collectors, and also understand what would make an app like this truly useful.

Something like an app for us created by one of us.

Mods if this post is not appropriate here, please feel free to move or delete.

I use to use my own spreadsheet, then one of our members kindly donated his spreadsheet. It's linked to real time prices and other useful bits. I suppose you have to consider security, we are a very private bunch. A little while a go I was trying to get a widget for the front of my phone, wanted it to constantly display the gold to silver ratio. I couldn't find one of them either. I think there is definitely a market for these kind of apps or maybe make a good project.

i use a spreadsheet and it would always depend on what the app offers and what it can provide for needs but i tend to download apps for work and if i dont like them i just uninstall ... i'd deffo have a look at a well developed app 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’ve seen topics on and off about this. I’ve also sampled a few apps that are out there. None were really to my liking. I myself currently use an excel worksheet that I keep tinkering with.

I wanted to ask what people think about the current offerings, how you keep track of your PMs, and, if there was an app that helped to do the same, whether you would use it.  Or what would you want it to have for you to use it.

I am considering developing an app and wanted to gauge the interest of actual PM investors and collectors, and also understand what would make an app like this truly useful.

Something like an app for us created by one of us.

Mods if this post is not appropriate here, please feel free to move or delete.

Developing an app isnt cheap unless you have the skills to do this yourself. Decent apps cost a minimum of 60k

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

17 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Developing an app isnt cheap unless you have the skills to do this yourself. Decent apps cost a minimum of 60k

I actually do work full time in app development. I would do this on the side and in my free time.

Indeed a good app would demand resources in the form of time and money, but I’m willing to give this a shot since there really isn’t any decent app I’ve found (yet) that I myself would use. 🙂

I really like the concept of an application to keep track of individual PM purchases.

Info such as:

Date purchased, price paid, spot price at time of purchase etc.

But also a section on grading, such as average grading cost per coin (include membership costs, shipping, additional fees etc.), actual grades, conservation requests, auction stats i.e. prices sold at grade 69 or 70 and dates sold and have separate stats for the likes of Ebay.

PCGS have something on auction prices but would be good to have it in one place with all the other information to hand.

I keep a track of my graded coins in a spreadsheet and would like some functionality to automatically capture market value in one place.

Privacy is paramount though.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I actually do work full time in app development. I would do this on the side and in my free time.

Indeed a good app would demand resources in the form of time and money, but I’m willing to give this a shot since there really isn’t any decent app I’ve found (yet) that I myself would use. 🙂

Welcome fellow IT Scumbag like myself lol!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

20 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I really like the concept of an application to keep track of individual PM purchases.

Info such as:

Date purchased, price paid, spot price at time of purchase etc.

But also a section on grading, such as average grading cost per coin (include membership costs, shipping, additional fees etc.), actual grades, conservation requests, auction stats i.e. prices sold at grade 69 or 70 and dates sold and have separate stats for the likes of Ebay.

PCGS have something on auction prices but would be good to have it in one place with all the other information to hand.

I keep a track of my graded coins in a spreadsheet and would like some functionality to automatically capture market value in one place.

Privacy is paramount though.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I hadn’t thought about sections on grading and auctions, but I have to agree it would be awesome to have everything in one place.

I have always thought how it would be terrific to be able to gauge the current price of one’s numismatic coins easily by trawling through auctions and sales.  Some sites have this but it take a bit of work to find what one is looking for.  Picclick has removed their “sold” filter right?  I used to find that very useful.

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

@Bigmarc, @dicker, @Gordy, @GoldenGriffin - If any of you would be willing to share your excel templates, I’d appreciate it. 🙂

Mine's pretty basic, but does contain all the fields I mentioned above. 🙂

More useful fields would be to add in the maximum mintage figures to understand the rarity and for those that are graded, how many are graded as 69 / 70 or the grade for just your coin, if it's too much information.

Also, possibly include the high resolution images of the coin, so you or a potential buyer can see if there is the possibility of a potential grade uplift, if sent for conservation / restoration.