• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1897 Silver (sterling?) Victoria Jubilee medal

I have been thinking about buying a victoria jubilee medal. No idea what they would be normally worth, but seem to be quite common. I am new to old coins so a bit unsure. I do like the look of it, but perhaps its been cleaned ? Any views from anyone or on the value ?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20210523-143549_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-143537_eBay.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

I have one and they are very very nice.... not sure what I paid for it... not loads but its something I really wanted to keep

Thanks. This one is 250. It looks in decent condition in my novice view. Concerned it might have been cleaned and still feels a bit pricey.

8 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

Thanks. This one is 250. It looks in decent condition in my novice view. Concerned it might have been cleaned and still feels a bit pricey.

Yeah hard to tell... 

Yea, looks cleaned. These used to be cheap as chips and now are not so much. Very nice Young Head, not crazy about the older version. Which is the obverse? LOL.

I would guess the Widow side since it is her commemorative (sp?)....

10 hours ago, NewCoins said:

My principle one is in case there is any doubt, not going for that.  So, I will not go for anything if you think it may be cleaned or too expensive.

By the way, for 250, you may purchase a decent Victoria Crown coinage, unless you prefer medal in this case.

It's been cleaned. No doubts on that.... I guess it's worth what you are willing to pay. I used to pick these up for around £15-£20 from a local numismatic auction 12-15 years ago. Judging by the frequency of them appearing i would imagine that there is a lot of them about. The Edward VII / Alexandria, Geo V / Mary & Geo VI / Lizzy medals make a nice set.

Looking on Ebay £160-£170 looks to be about the average rate for the large (mint condition) one.