• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014.Ā Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topicĀ posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :)Ā happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads.Ā 

Collecting coins for the kids...

CaptCaveMan

A newbie collector/stacker here - as the post suggests I'm planning to build a small collection of coins 1) asĀ 21st birthday presents but also to build up small stacks to pass on.

Before joining TSFĀ I purchased their 1oz Silver Britannia birth-year coins off of eBayĀ so I'm certain I've paid a small premium already... myĀ aim is to putĀ aside ~Ā£100 per month forĀ Britanna's but possibly also a Sovereign every now and then so not everything is in oneĀ PM.Ā  As based in the UK these appearĀ to be the obvious choice for gift's/inheritance.

I'm not spending huge amountsĀ but obviously this will grow over time, the aim is not forĀ retirement but something to assist when theyĀ need it for life's big adventure and I know I'llĀ find stacking easier andĀ more fun over stocks or savings.

A thought though... do I try and create a collection over the years which isĀ more expensive (I'm a sucker for collections) or do I just save and buy a stack every few months, say a tube ofĀ Britannias here and aĀ SovereignĀ or two there?

Interested in opinions from those who've already made the decision...

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

Personally, like you mentioned I'd just just put money to one side and then when the times right buy a tube of the latest year silver Brits and then you'd save money on quantity breaks and they will also be slightly cheaper than buying a specific date. If its an investment for your kids I would say its about getting the most out of your money and then they will have a nice surprise when they find out what the value is. It really depends if you want a collection of dates/designs or strictly the best value for future selling in which you'd have more items for your money.

Callum

Buy what you can afford but only when you feel the price is right.
Silver is jumping around a bit right now and will obviously impact the price of a tube of silver coins, maybe less so the individual private sale or eBay.
Good deals on gold sovereigns are challenging because the usual suppliers are either out of stock or chancing their arm on adding big premiums.
This site is a good place to buy from so list your requirements for fellow members to respond.
Always helps if you state a budget price after researching the field rather than asking for offers.

23 hours ago, CaptCaveMan said:

A newbie collector/stacker here - as the post suggests I'm planning to build a small collection of coins 1) asĀ 21st birthday presents but also to build up small stacks to pass on.

Before joining TSFĀ I purchased their 1oz Silver Britannia birth-year coins off of eBayĀ so I'm certain I've paid a small premium already... myĀ aim is to putĀ aside ~Ā£100 per month forĀ Britanna's but possibly also a Sovereign every now and then so not everything is in oneĀ PM.Ā  As based in the UK these appearĀ to be the obvious choice for gift's/inheritance.

I'm not spending huge amountsĀ but obviously this will grow over time, the aim is not forĀ retirement but something to assist when theyĀ need it for life's big adventure and I know I'llĀ find stacking easier andĀ more fun over stocks or savings.

A thought though... do I try and create a collection over the years which isĀ more expensive (I'm a sucker for collections) or do I just save and buy a stack every few months, say a tube ofĀ Britannias here and aĀ SovereignĀ or two there?

Well I joined just under a year ago with the intention of finishing my kids somewhat messy, inherited stacks. Think I finished a 1 oz Brit date run first, thatā€™s the easiest if U.K based, then Koalaā€™s, then Kookā€™s and finally a couple of lunar series. Iā€™m a bit once Iā€™ve started, canā€™t stop! SoĀ went a bit gung-ho and possibly paid over the odds at times; really thoughĀ it doesnā€™t matter,Ā as hopefully they will not be sold for a long time.Ā Shifted some I deemed surplus though to part fund it and now Iā€™ve switched to a gold 1/10ā€™s varied collection and sovereign date run, that Iā€™m just a couple short.

The idea behind the latter collections is whet their appetite and let them decide what they want to collect in future, when they get them out of safe storage at some point.Ā Given multiple lockdowns and winter, itā€™s allowed me to throw some time at it fairly quickly. Iā€™m also building a small general stack for me/them to trade. Must admit itā€™s quite fun when thereā€™s nothing much else to do and I see it as inheritance planning anyway.Ā My logic on date runs, is they will probably want to keep them going or be less likely to sell, my logic on stacking is give them enough to teach them further about asset diversification andĀ a security blanket for emergency funds.

Thereā€™s some highly reliable sellers on here and I found a few good dealers from this site too. My knowledge has gained a little and Iā€™m plucking up courage to add to proof sovereigns,Ā but in truth that will be more a little side hobby for me,Ā than passing onto the kids.

Good luck with your choices.

My son whose 11 now I've given him over 26oz already, I would wager that hes one of the only kids whose got that much in hisĀ city. He already knows the difference between honest money and fiat currency, he knows that paper money is worthless. I just give him random silver that I pick up. Lets be honest silver is silver, to meĀ so it still has intrinsic value. I wil hold some CGT free stuff for him when I die, but I am happy just to give him a little but here and there now.Ā  Whatever you pick up - Its still a stack and a saving for your kids, for which they will be greatful. They may not have the numastatic interest or understandĀ like you, and could sell it beyond its real worth, so I just keep it simple. I have to be mindfulĀ as my son is autistic.

Best HBĀ 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. Theyā€™re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, youā€™re never going to get a valid answer.ā€ - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.
Ā 
If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this linkĀ https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454
Ā 

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Buy what you can afford but only when you feel the price is right.
Silver is jumping around a bit right now and will obviously impact the price of a tube of silver coins, maybe less so the individual private sale or eBay.
Good deals on gold sovereigns are challenging because the usual suppliers are either out of stock or chancing their arm on adding big premiums.
This site is a good place to buy from so list your requirements for fellow members to respond.
Always helps if you state a budget price after researching the field rather than asking for offers.

Really appreciate all the advice @Pete, I've already started on an xlsx for the Britannia collection, gleaning through various site's to document prices,Ā get a feel asĀ well as finding the user guides here on TRF with example files to maintain recordsĀ etc. all part of finding my feet...

Once more confident I'll be upgrading but in the meantime the aim is to keep researchingĀ whilst putting aside and getting the basics in order.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

14 hours ago, ZigZag said:

Well I joined just under a year ago with the intention of finishing my kids somewhat messy, inherited stacks. Think I finished a 1 oz Brit date run first, thatā€™s the easiest if U.K based, then Koalaā€™s, then Kookā€™s and finally a couple of lunar series. Iā€™m a bit once Iā€™ve started, canā€™t stop! SoĀ went a bit gung-ho and possibly paid over the odds at times; really thoughĀ it doesnā€™t,Ā as hopefully they will not be sold for a long time.Ā Shifted some I deemed surplus though to part fund it and now Iā€™ve switched to a gold 1/10ā€™s varied collection and sovereign date run, that Iā€™m just a couple short.

The idea behind the latter collections is whet their appetite and let them decide what they want to collect in future, when they get them out of safe storage at some point.Ā Given multiple lockdowns and winter, itā€™s allowed me to throw some time at it fairly quickly. Iā€™m also building a small general stack for me/them to trade. Must admit itā€™s quite fun when thereā€™s nothing much else to do and I see it as inheritance planning anyway.Ā My logic on date runs, is they will probably want to keep them going or be less likely to sell, my logic on stacking is give them enough to teach them further about asset diversification andĀ a security blanket for emergency funds.

Thereā€™s some highly reliable sellers on here and I found a few good dealers from this site too. My knowledge has gained a little and Iā€™m plucking up courage to add to proof sovereigns,Ā but in truth that will be more a little side hobby for me,Ā than passing onto the kids.

Good luck with your choices.

All sounds very familiar @ZigZag, I think I'll be sticking to 1 Oz Brits at this stage but yes, once you start collecting... had to finish off my run of original Star Wars figures back in the day, fortunately I've still got them all!Ā  After a bit of researchĀ though I didn't know if to just have a birth-year Brit each and focus on stacking.Ā  My thinking is that I'd be overpaying to back fillĀ and build aĀ collection buyingĀ only 1 coin here and there for specific years but also agree with your logic in that they may actually want to maintain a collection rather than sell...

If you want to accumulate over a long period, I don't see the need to hold purchases back because of the current price because lows and highs will cancel each other out and it's very likely to get it wrong as often as you get itĀ right, over a long period. Holding back makes much more sense if you buy a big amount at once and not on a regular basis.

I think starting with bullion is a good idea, you can always throw in the odd numismatic coin or go for numismatics only, later on. As @ZigZagĀ has said your kids are more likely to keep numismatic coins but it's for life's adventures, you said, not meant as basis for their pension stack yet it would be nice, if they didn't spend it all at once and kept a considerable part long term. Thus starting with bullion and the maybe a bit more numismatics or even just variety of bullion, later on sounds like a good idea. You could also go for the different Sovereign heads, eventually.

Ā 

Ā 

14 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

My son whose 11 now I've given him over 26oz already, I would wager that hes one of the only kids whose got that much in hisĀ city. He already knows the difference between honest money and fiat currency, he knows that paper money is worthless. I just give him random silver that I pick up. Lets be honest silver is silver, to meĀ so it still has intrinsic value. I wil hold some CGT free stuff for him when I die, but I am happy just to give him a little but here and there now.Ā  Whatever you pick up - Its still a stack and a saving for your kids, for which they will be greatful. They may not have the numastatic interest or understandĀ like you, and could sell it beyond its real worth, so I just keep it simple. I have to be mindfulĀ as my son is autistic.

Best HBĀ 

At 11, that's great!Ā  I have two classed as disabled hence focusing on just 1 Oz Brits with one variation, year.

The only variation maybe Gold Sovereigns, never thought I could afford gold but actually, Sovereigns...

9 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

If you want to accumulate over a long period, I don't see the need to hold purchases back because of the current price because lows and highs will cancel each other out and it's very likely to get it wrong as often as you get itĀ right, over a long period. Holding back makes much more sense if you buy a big amount at once and not on a regular basis.

I think starting with bullion is a good idea, you can always throw in the odd numismatic coin or go for numismatics only, later on. As @ZigZagĀ has said your kids are more likely to keep numismatic coins but it's for life's adventures, you said, not meant as basis for their pension stack yet it would be nice, if they didn't spend it all at once and kept a considerable part long term. Thus starting with bullion and the maybe a bit more numismatics or even just variety of bullion, later on sounds like a good idea. You could also go for the different Sovereign heads, eventually.

Ā 

Ā 

Holding back purchases would only be related to saving enough @silenceissilver i.e. a stack of x25 vs.Ā 1 or 2Ā at a time, the merits are minimal but I'd should buyĀ slightly lower.

Yes, I'm thinking more towards bullion rather thanĀ numismatic.Ā  Overall I'm leaning towards a box of Silver each and perhaps a tube or two of Gold so not large amounts.Ā  This would simply provide an extra reserve for each of them and I can also collect as and when something appeals...

22 minutes ago, CaptCaveMan said:

Holding back purchases would only be related to saving enough @silenceissilver i.e. a stack of x25 vs.Ā 1 or 2Ā at a time, the merits are minimal but I'd should buyĀ slightly lower.

Yes, I'm thinking more towards bullion rather thanĀ numismatic.Ā  Overall I'm leaning towards a box of Silver each and perhaps a tube or two of Gold so not large amounts.Ā  This would simply provide an extra reserve for each of them and I can also collect as and when something appeals...

I see, that makes sense indeed unless you are one of those who can't save and thus started buying precious metals which enable saving for them. If you aren't one of them, I think it's a good idea to wait till you have a full tube.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2021 at 14:48, CaptCaveMan said:

I started out with the exact same thoughts. But now Iā€™m mainly looking at Proofs and Series. Planned to add some gold this year too but for some bizarre reason have bought crypto instead?!

Go with what you like as in reality itā€™s for you now but then in the future.

I'm also staking(?) for my daughter.

Initially I've planed to regulary buy PAMP gold and silver bars.

Not even two years into PM, and last month alone I've ordered silver coloured Kooks and Lunars, silver gilded Lunars, proof Lunars, and some exotic gold coins.

No point denying the fact that I'm aĀ collector at heart.

So, I'm not even feeling guilty for the high premiums no more... she will still receive everything in 15 years or so, and I will enjoy collecting them in the meantime - win win situation.

What am I, less thanĀ a month in? Now I'm up to 20oz of BritsĀ šŸ˜²

I'mĀ building a collectionĀ up for each of them over the years,Ā I'll then simply start stacking whilst also buying the odd Sovereign.

I'm also looking to createĀ a list of automatic updatesĀ for deals as well as searches on eBay etc.Ā  If coins areĀ under spot I'll place a few bids, even if I only win one every now and then,Ā it's a small win and will chip away at theĀ overall premiumĀ - makes theĀ game of collecting/stacking more enjoyable.

Still need to invest in a few extras to check weights, size etc. but a good set of calipers and loupe will also fitĀ in well with the odd watch purchaseĀ šŸ§

I can't get serious for a couple of yearsĀ yet due toĀ other hobbies &Ā related expenses but the plan willĀ be toĀ alternateĀ between Brits and Sovs,Ā It's interesting reading up re: as one form of wealth conservation as regular purchases soon add up.

In being late to the game I may miss out on any of the jumps being predicted in PMs but it may also work in my favor if prices settle down again towards pre 2020 levels which I suspect is more accurate in theĀ shorterĀ term.

Archived