• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereigns versus Pamp 1oz gold bars as long term investment

MJ5050

I've been considering purchasing some Gold Sovereigns as a long term investment. I'm also interested in potentially buying a 1oz Pamp gold bar, however I was a bit put off this idea when I saw a few gold plated Pamp bars on eBay for around £50! These gold plated bars are in similar packaging to the real thing and a bit of research lead to a 2016 article online about fake Pamp bars. It just got me thinking that if I come to resell the Pamp bars in years to come, would they be harder to resell than the Gold Sovereigns as some people could think they are fake? 

I'd never consider buying any silver or gold on eBay but I always have a quick look at eBay just to give me a feel for current prices. I'd only ever buy the Sovereigns or Pamp bars from a reputable long established dealer or a forum member but am I right in thinking that long term, I'd be better off buying a few more Sovereigns rather than a gold Pamp bar as the Sovereigns are more recognisable and easier to resell? Or am I just being paranoid and would I be better to have a different type of gold in my collection to the Sovereigns such as a 1oz Pamp bar?

I'm very new to this so it's all a learning process at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Hello @MJ5050 you don't have to pay capital gains on Sovereigns, if you exceed the CGT threshold you'd have to pay it on the PAMP bar. Sovereigns are well known bullion coinage. PAMP are also well known but carry a serious premium. This is my personal opinion though, I personally wouldn't invest in PAMP, I buy for the silver/gold content :) 

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

10 hours ago, MJ5050 said:

I've been considering purchasing some Gold Sovereigns as a long term investment. I'm also interested in potentially buying a 1oz Pamp gold bar, however I was a bit put off this idea when I saw a few gold plated Pamp bars on eBay for around £50! These gold plated bars are in similar packaging to the real thing and a bit of research lead to a 2016 article online about fake Pamp bars. It just got me thinking that if I come to resell the Pamp bars in years to come, would they be harder to resell than the Gold Sovereigns as some people could think they are fake? 

I'd never consider buying any silver or gold on eBay but I always have a quick look at eBay just to give me a feel for current prices. I'd only ever buy the Sovereigns or Pamp bars from a reputable long established dealer or a forum member but am I right in thinking that long term, I'd be better off buying a few more Sovereigns rather than a gold Pamp bar as the Sovereigns are more recognisable and easier to resell? Or am I just being paranoid and would I be better to have a different type of gold in my collection to the Sovereigns such as a 1oz Pamp bar?

I'm very new to this so it's all a learning process at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Sovereigns for me, I like the history they carry in their metal. They lasted many decades and are still beautiful. Even the bullion ones are beautiful. And sovereigns are easy to buy, sell and test.

The Pamp bars you need to put/keep in protective sleeves/capsules to make sure you don't damage them. Damaged Pamp will render the value close to spot in a heartbeat. So nu fumbling those ;) But Pamp do look nice displayed.... 

Personal choice I guess.

Sovereigns! *subliminal message*

Hi, my advice is to go for sovereigns. Very easy to buy and stack, very easy to sell in any country you will be in the future. If you will decide to buy some high premium Pamps, keep attached to them the invoice/receipt with the name of the seller and serial number of each bar. This will help a lot when you want to sell them, without destroying the protective capsule/ sleeve.

But, on long term, sovereigns are a very good option. Keep them in capsules, buy some padded sovereign cases from Ebay, (£10 each or even cheaper) and build a collection.

Happy stacking!

Cheers,

Stefan.

16135583388904230389983678678994.jpg

16135584440998371181182409400558.jpg

Archived