• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice on returning a flawed Bowie 1/4oz

TownCalledMalice

Hi all, I was going to post this into the main Bowie thread but this is a little more specific.

I received a 1/4oz gold and and 1oz silver this morning and am not too happy with the quality. Wanted to clarify my thoughts on returning this (or am I just being too picky?).

I've only ever bought a couple of silver proofs directly from the mint and I've generally been quite lucky, not so with these - anyhow, here are a couple of pics of the Bowie 1/4 I received this morning.

I can count about 3 'pinholes' on the reverse with the most obvious shown here on his jaw. 

The silver was 'scuffed' and the bottom left reverse and is going back but I'd appreciate thoughts on the quality of this 1/4 - at the moment it's going back! 

bowie (1 of 2).jpg

bowie (2 of 2).jpg

I think you’re perfectly justified to be unhappy with it.

It’s sold as a proof with a hefty premium, the coin should at least be of a standard to reflect that fact.

Sadly as we all know, with the Royal Mint lottery there’s no guarantee the replacement would be any better.

If they haven’t sold out of the 1/4 already you might stand a chance of a better coin being returned. If sold out then you might just get someone else’s returned coin like usual 🤷‍♂️ 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

10 minutes ago, TownCalledMalice said:

Seriously, they'd replace with another return.

Been happening for years / forever! 

Once I bought 3 annual silver sets so I could pick and choose the best coins from each set and then sent 2 sets back! Each set had coins with issues so that was the only way I could get a complete set problem free. It cost me extra in return postage though because I bought three of the same set.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

9 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Been happening for years / forever!

I would never have known - I'm quite aware of the QC issues at the mint but I've only bought the Mayflower set before as a proof and it was brilliant. 

I now know the rumours were not exaggerated!

I sent three 1/4oz Queens Beast Red Dragon of Wales back they will refund any postage if the coin is faulty. Expect to chase them for any refunds.

I purchased one from Germany in the end for a fraction of the RM issue price 👍 

I seem to have a few spare COA cards for the dragon 😂 

2 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

I seem to have a few spare COA cards for the dragon

Hahaha - I bought a 2nd hand 2003 Piedfort set a few months back and it had 2 COA's in it.

I had puzzled over why but now I know - I don't suppose you returned one 17 years ago by any chance? 🤣

Sadly, the QC is really very variable from the RM.  Over the years I have had some shockers.  Other Mints (eg Perth) seem to take considerably more care.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I would agree that this coin should be sent back. Unfortunately very few coins are completely perfect so when I receive a coin I check it over carefully and decide if any faults bother me enough to send the coin back as that is a hassle in itself.

2 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

decide if any faults bother me enough to send the coin back

That's precisely how I saw it - I would never be able to look at it without that niggle that I should have returned it. Thanks for the backup and comments all, glad to know I wasn't just being overly fussy.

Both are currently winging their way back across the Severn Bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a refund for the coins from the Royal Mint yesterday (only noticed this morning), but it didn't include any refund of postage.

Emailed them earlier and received a reply within an hour together with an apology - have sent off my receipt for the return postage and should get it all back very soon (was significant at £17, that's an ounce in my pre-2020 head!).

So, it's nice to end on decent note with the final score:

Royal Mint QC - 0 Royal Mint Customer Service - 10 👍

Archived