• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake OPM 1oz Silver Bars?

SilverSlanger

Weight looks good, also passed the the rare earth magnet test. However it doesn’t seem to pass the “ping test.” Bought from an online seller so that is eating at me. Newbie here and I’m probably overthinking this. I probably need to just spend the money on a Sigma Verifier so I have peace of mind.

194394E5-E92C-487D-BA4D-EEEA8A3C3E7F.jpeg

5B7EF2DA-C193-4B2B-9A4A-0B078D67524C.jpeg

447E00C7-E36A-414F-8ABF-8B46053CD385.jpeg

1 hour ago, Leonmarsh said:

But one on top of the other are they the same thickness? 

Yep, and as for the E, I went back and checked, it was just a trick of the light on the camera. They are both the same. See below, this was before I cut them out of the plastic. I’m thinking of taking them to my LCS and seeing what they say.

D78062A6-0FF8-4B88-B86B-B423BEC01ED4.jpeg

The ping test is a very unreliable test and I am not sure why it is considered a test, it has passed 2 of the main tests, weight and I am guessing by the rare earth magnet test you mean sliding the magnet down the bar propped at roughly 45 degrees? If that doesnt convince you then you can measure density at home.

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

7 hours ago, Peacemaker said:

The ping test is a very unreliable test and I am not sure why it is considered a test, it has passed 2 of the main tests, weight and I am guessing by the rare earth magnet test you mean sliding the magnet down the bar propped at roughly 45 degrees? If that doesnt convince you then you can measure density at home.

Yep, at 45 degrees it has significant drag on the magnet. 

13 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

Ah ok sorry to worry you unnecessarily it looked off that E with the light I'm sure they will be fine 

No worries! Thanks for the input!

16 hours ago, daca said:

First time I heard of ping test on bars.

Best test that you can do at home is the specific gravity test.

Thanks, I’ll probably try that tonight. As far as ping on bars, I’m super new to this and was just going off of YouTube videos lol. 

As said above, specific gravity is the way to go

As for the magnet test, i don't want to worry you.....

But there is another post on here regarding the reliability of this test

seems some other metals can also pass it!

But in the words of Douglas Adams "DONT PANIC "

the weight or size would be off if this was the case

On 03/11/2020 at 22:32, RedDragon77 said:

Hope it's real but keep us posted.

Tested them at my LCS yesterday and they are all good. BUT this 5g gold bar I have is faker than Pamela Anderson’s sweater hogans. Luckily I was able to get my money back.

5327E523-4F1A-4ED5-BE4B-389FD0C645F1.jpeg

B15073F9-8EF7-465D-AA91-A7E415CD1EB2.jpeg

7E18873B-7F8B-48A1-8428-FBFB179A1DB8.jpeg

Archived