• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help - 1893 Gold 20 Corona

PapaLazarou

1893 Gold 20 Corona Franz Joseph I
I received this coin as a gift some years ago and would like some further information from any members who might have the requisite knowledge.

The coin appears to be in excellent condition other than some minor mark/staining at 3 o'clock, detailed in the final photo. I have no idea what caused the mark and have made no effort to remove it.

I do not have any interest in numismatic gold and so would only be looking to keep this coin if it is merely of spot value. Does this coin have much of a following amongst collectors and would one in this condition realise any premium? 

All knowledge and help in this matter would be appreciated.

Au 20 Corona Obv.jpg

Au 20 Corona Rev.jpg

Au 20 Corona Arms.jpg

Au 20 Corona Crown.jpg

Au 20 Corona Wreath .jpg

Au 20 Corona Tache.jpg

Au 20 Corona Stain.jpg

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

Corona are hard to peg for me. I don’t know where the value lies (gold value or premium for numismatic value). I’ve seen these between £280 and £360, though they are retail prices and don’t know what and where numismatic value has any influence on price. Specific dates/Monarchs. I believe the fine gold weight is 6.1? Which would put it at £256(ish)... 

9 hours ago, trp said:

Corona are hard to peg for me. I don’t know where the value lies (gold value or premium for numismatic value). I’ve seen these between £280 and £360, though they are retail prices and don’t know what and where numismatic value has any influence on price. Specific dates/Monarchs. I believe the fine gold weight is 6.1? Which would put it at £256(ish)... 

There is only one monarch I came across, Franz Joseph.

Karl I should be on a few as well but I can't even find a picture for it. I assume they must be like 1937 Sovereigns that is, if they even exist - at least there is just a big gap on Wikipedia, so they didn't find a picture, too.

grafik.thumb.png.16cec8a9cf90680d08bb8cd0f2cd50a0.png

The 20 Corona is generally considered a bullion coin. Unless it's a stunning example with original mint lustre, fine details and no cleaning marks, then it would be worth grading. Otherwise, due to it's age, it may add a 1-2% bump in the premium, but I wouldn't think more. Also, considering the 1893 was the highest minted year, with almost 8 million made, its not hard to come across. 

These are nice coins.  You could pick up Austrian Coronas for a good price a while ago.

The newly minted ones are ok, but if you can find the older ones, they tend to command a premium on the continent.  Cannot remember the years.

but a very good looking coin nonetheless

Archived