• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying my first gold bar - looking for advice

coalfield

3 minutes ago, silverback19 said:

no @Prophecy was just browsing, looking for deals, sweet for the link i have never used that before, i was only looking at 2020 sovereign specifically, top 3 cheapest dealers on that link all charge postage fees so, thought Atkinson's would have been the better deal as its free over £180, and shouldn't have to wait to long to receive order. 

I get you. I sensed you were looking for new mintage but that link is the best we have at the moment for comparing the best live prices.

P.S. Our fellow silver forum member @Darr3nG made the site in the link. 

57 minutes ago, TheApe said:

Talk about over complicating things Prophecy 🤣
OP, the coin spec will show the Gold weight, you wont need to calculate.

He wanted to work out the premium over spot. I'm afraid it is a bloody nightmare especially with odd fractional alloys.

36 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

@coalfield Don't forget, if you want to convert from grams... a troy ounce is not the same as an ounce. Sometimes, unscrupulous or naive sellers show the weight in regular ounces not troy ounces as we saw recently by the Irish mint.

https://privatebullion.com/blog/troy-ounce-vs-ounce/

What Irish mint?

3 hours ago, silverback19 said:

the best price sovereign i have found is on Atkinson bullion for just over 7% above spot pretty good deal plus they ship within 3-5 days. a lot faster than other dealers at the moment

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-coins/sovereign-gold-coins-(1)/2020-uk-full-sovereign-gold-coin

If you want 2020 and only buying one then this is cheaper:

https://www.sharpspixley.com/latest-sovereign-elizabeth-ii-gold-coin

That price also includes delivery, but sadly no price breaks for buying more than one. 

4 hours ago, Prophecy said:

He wanted to work out the premium over spot. I'm afraid it is a bloody nightmare especially with odd fractional alloys.

Take the weight. Divide by 24. Multiply by the karat weight (for a Sov that's 22). Job done! 

4 hours ago, Prophecy said:

@coalfield Don't forget, if you want to convert from grams... a troy ounce is not the same as an ounce. Sometimes, unscrupulous or naive sellers show the weight in regular ounces not troy ounces as we saw recently by the Irish mint.

https://privatebullion.com/blog/troy-ounce-vs-ounce/

The Irish mint had a typo on their website as we've long established. The coins are measured in troy ounces, nothing remotely unscrupulous about it! 

27 minutes ago, Melon said:

Take the weight. Divide by 24. Multiply by the karat weight (for a Sov that's 22). Job done! 

The Irish mint had a typo on their website as we've long established. The coins are measured in troy ounces, nothing remotely unscrupulous about it! 

I'm not sure you fully read any of the comments you are commenting on

31 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

I'm not sure you fully read any of the comments you are commenting on

Uhm I did. Just saying the calc for working out the gold weight is really quite simple, divide by 24 and multiply by the karat, easy! Gave the rest required to get premium once you have gold weight earlier in the thread. 

I guess you were highlighting that the Irish mint made the website typo in error then? If so I misunderstood, thought you were implying there was something unsavoury 😊

1 hour ago, Melon said:

Uhm I did. Just saying the calc for working out the gold weight is really quite simple, divide by 24 and multiply by the karat, easy! Gave the rest required to get premium once you have gold weight earlier in the thread. 

I guess you were highlighting that the Irish mint made the website typo in error then? If so I misunderstood, thought you were implying there was something unsavoury 😊

It's ok. It's a full moon. ;)

4 hours ago, Melon said:

He was talking about the Irish coin I think. You have to fact check that Prophecy lad.

Archived