• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1817 Gold Sovereign - value

BullionBob

Hi 

I was wondering if anyone on the forum could help....

I have been offered a relatively worn 1817 full sovereign for what I am told is a reasonable price.

Would anyone have any idea what the value of this coin may be?

I have checked online but can't seem to find many available sources.

The price I have been offered to purchase the coin at is £550

I have bought many coins (mainly silver) from the same dealer and I have not reason to doubt him but just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks

I get what you are saying.

The sole reason for potentially purchasing the coin would be to sell on, as i'm not really a collector of sovereigns.

Was really just hoping someone on the forum could provide some figures of what they would expect a 'worn' version to sell for.

Probably it’s worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I’ve seen MS 60+ 1817 Sovs priced insanely but they’ve been on sale for years and no one seems to be biting.

The ungraded, worn ones, in my limited experience don’t seem to have a pattern.

That said, £550 sounds like a good deal as long as the coin is not so worn that you can’t see most of the strike. Personally I feel slightly repulsed when I see an obverse that’s “blunt” and featureless. Sometimes it scares me. 😳 

18 hours ago, BullionBob said:

The sole reason for potentially purchasing the coin would be to sell on, as i'm not really a collector of sovereigns.

Was really just hoping someone on the forum could provide some figures of what they would expect a 'worn' version to sell for.

I don't wish to sound rude but if you are going to buy coins to flip, my advice would be only do so with coins you have a sound knowledge of. Don't rely on advice from random people on forums😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I don't wish to sound rude but if you are going to buy coins to flip, my advice would be only do so with coins you have a sound knowledge of. Don't rely on advice from random people on forums😉

Thanks for the advice. I probably didn't explain myself very well. I trust the dealer entirely as I have bought coins for many years from him and have a good relationship. The purpose of the post was more out of curiosity, as I know there are people who have a vast knowledge of this subject.

I always conduct research before making a purchase, and this was just one avenue I was exploring.

16 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Probably it’s worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I’ve seen MS 60+ 1817 Sovs priced insanely but they’ve been on sale for years and no one seems to be biting.

The ungraded, worn ones, in my limited experience don’t seem to have a pattern.

That said, £550 sounds like a good deal as long as the coin is not so worn that you can’t see most of the strike. Personally I feel slightly repulsed when I see an obverse that’s “blunt” and featureless. Sometimes it scares me. 😳 

Thanks for your reply. 

10 hours ago, BullionBob said:

Thanks for the advice. I probably didn't explain myself very well. I trust the dealer entirely as I have bought coins for many years from him and have a good relationship. The purpose of the post was more out of curiosity, as I know there are people who have a vast knowledge of this subject.

I always conduct research before making a purchase, and this was just one avenue I was exploring.

The problem with coins such as this, rare and with good quality examples so expensive, lesser grades can vary so much in price. Small differences in condition can make a large difference in the price collectors are prepared to pay.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived