• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

i would like to know about my gold coins

Dragonfife

I recently got a 1862 QV Gold Half Sovereign. Sydney Mint Type II i was wondering if this is has any value other than its gold value i have just got into gold collecting and if you can help me it will be appreciated. Cheers 

IMG_2973.png

Sydney half sovs are lovely and sought after coins. Unfortunately yours has seen better days, it is quite worn and perhaps bent/damaged/cleaned, too. An uncirculated coin would be easily in thousands of pounds.

The mintage was 210'000 for 1862 - sort of mid-range for this type Sydney half-sovs (minted between 1855-1866). What may be of interest is that older Sydney sovereigns were alloyed with silver instead of copper - so you have 91.67% gold and 8.33% silver there :) 

Overall grade is difficult to estimate without seeing the obverse (heads). They have been graded for selling even in Fair grades, so in my opinion it may still well have a premium over spot. For crude comparison (not intended as a value guide), the below coin was auctioned off last year and sold for about 20% above spot value.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.23.27 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Thank you although this does look strangely similar mine. I did buy it this year so it might be a person reselling. Thank you very much with your response i just join the silver forum so it nice to see people being so friendly. Thank you very much Jultorsk.

4 minutes ago, Dragonfife said:

Thank you although this does look strangely similar mine. I did buy it this year so it might be a person reselling. Thank you very much with your response i just join the silver forum so it nice to see people being so friendly. Thank you very much Jultorsk.

You are right, it is the same coin.  It is amazing how different the pictures look!

I paid double the spot price (a year ago) for my 1862 half sovereign - I just loved the toning on the coin:

1862Sydneyhalf.jpg

Hi @Dragonfife

Firstly - what a gem of a coin.  

I cannot give you an accurate value, but I purchased an 1865 Sydney Half Sov when I was last in Australia and it was not 'cheap'.  Mine is in the vault so sadly can't send a pic, but it is badly worn but that is part of the charm of the coin.

@Zhorro Agreed - the toning really does add eye appeal.  Maybe others have seen toning like this, but I have not.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

That was a good buy at that price. A bit of history and still lovely despite having a bit of a hard life.

I'd really like a young head Victoria half Sovereign to go with my 1885 Sydney full, but the prices are a bit too juicy for me!

Has the Sovereign bug bitten for you now? 😁

It's a lovely way to stack gold as well being very collectible. The premiums are very reasonable for all sorts of eras, often the same or less than for newer coins which is great especially when you compare to other fractional gold like 1/4 or 1/10 oz .999 

Unless you're talking about rarities of course!

👌

Archived