• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Don't be afraid to complain and beat up your bank

Lot's of people worry about taking on the big banks so I thought I'd share some personal experience, having worked in the sector. This is not financial advice in any way, but if you do feel aggrieved by a financial institute  governed by the FCA see the link below and also follow a few basic principles. If this is not you then please pass to people who this fits.

1. Know you are right, if you have done nothing wrong and they are stiffing you "ARGUE" the toss.

2. Never loose your temper, remember "He who is in the right can afford to keep his temper, he who is in the wrong cannot afford to loose it"

3. Before you start, take a step back, compose yourself. Gather your information, have all the facts to hand.

4. Probably the most important one, before picking up the phone have the conversation in your head, you know they are going to try and deny you the outcome you want be prepared in your head FIRST, if required rehearse it with a trusted person, see if they find a flaw in your argument.

5. Make sure you get names, time's and dates, these will be invaluable for when you will inevitably have to chase up.

6. Be realistic, the person you are talking to is only a voice not a decision maker, be polite and understanding of their situation, it helps to open doors if you need to escalate the issue.

7. THIS is the big one be aware that if you choose to take it to the financial ombudsman, it costs them not you, ref the link below.

All businesses are entitled to a number of “free” cases. We don’t currently charge a case fee for the first 25 cases in a year. But we will charge £550 for the 26th and each subsequent case.

Good Luck Stay Safe and don't get Stiffed by yer bank.

P.S. I managed to have a major UK Bank pay for my Fathers funeral ;)

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/files/1874/QG1.pdf

I bought a new build house 5 years ago and Scottish Power didn’t bill be for over a year despite my contact and 12 months of requests from myself. 

Ofgen kindly told them they could no longer bill me. I shared this with the rest of my estate and moved supplier.

Companies get too big.

Scottish Power are well know to be poor. Sorry they’re aren’t a bank but these companies often behave like such 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

3 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

I bought a new build house 5 years ago and Scottish Power didn’t bill be for over a year despite my contact and 12 months of requests from myself. 

Ofgen kindly told them they could no longer bill me. I shared this with the rest of my estate and moved supplier.

Companies get too big.

Scottish Power are well know to be poor. Sorry they’re aren’t a bank but these companies often behave like such 

Same vein, yer right, it applies to any regulated business :) good one and fair play 👍

Good advice thanks for sharing. I'd like it to apply to royal mail also , 2 silver parcels went missing in their posession and because I never paid special delivery and couldn't prove I bought them they have shafted me , oh wait, I got a book of stamps as compensation. Special delivery only now it seems.

1 hour ago, Derv said:

Good advice thanks for sharing. I'd like it to apply to royal mail also , 2 silver parcels went missing in their posession and because I never paid special delivery and couldn't prove I bought them they have shafted me , oh wait, I got a book of stamps as compensation. Special delivery only now it seems.

Its in the T&C's precious metals are only covered under special delivery.  If you use any other service inc. recorded delivery you are not covered if something goes wrong.

4 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

Its in the T&C's precious metals are only covered under special delivery.  If you use any other service inc. recorded delivery you are not covered if something goes wrong.

Yes I understand that mrdead  I still think it's a little shady. But , I am allowed to be wrong and have my winge.

Basically there's a thief in the royal mail , and I have been shafted, but hey , it's in the t&c's so it's allowed .

Fortunately the value was 'only' £50 , but a tough lesson learned. Now to reimburse at my expense. 

1 minute ago, JunkBond said:

What, only one? 😉

😂 , I know , it's riddled in some areas.

I'd love to know who it was cos I'm easy about smashing a thief. Especially as I do hard physical graft for my fiat notes. I know I'll get low browed for stating such a thing but I can't stand thieves.

On 10/04/2020 at 14:26, MancunianStacker said:

Companies get too big.

I had British Gas, my electric meter broke i told them and even though i gave them meter readings and repeated emails and their meter reading man coming around nothing got done. Then after 18 months they fixed the meter and billed me for 18 months worth of electric.  I contacted ofgen with all my emails etc and i didn't have to pay the back payments.

Archived