• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Chris Duane.

Stretch

We weren't discussing which is better, we were discussing the difference.

read my post Danny, I was replying to Stretch's point,  "How important is it for silver coins to be legal tender?"  and the quote about "overpriced furry animals"

My point is that the perceived "importance" is only in the mind of collectors. Because when you break it down, whether it is a coin or a round, they are both small discs of silver, stamped with an image. 

With regard to Perth Mint lunars, I'd proffer that any drop in premium will only affect future coins if mintages is increased. I can't think of one other series that has the popularity and premium for past issues worldwide. That may change for future issues, but I don't see past issue premiums dropping significantly.

I see a lot of parallels in other forms of collecting. Within Philatelists, the collecting of "traffic light" gutter pairs. (a pair of stamps from a single sheet that includes the sheets ink colour test spots), a pairing that occured with only two stamps within a sheet of up to 240 stamps), was at one time the pinnacle of modern day stamp collecting. Pairs of stamps would go for hundreds of pounds in the 70's and 80's. Those same stamps today go for around £10.

I am convinced that the best time to sell any silver lunar coin is within a few years of the start of the next lunar series, and any other coin within 4-5 years of it being minted. Pure Silver .999 coins are a very recent phenomena, so there are not a huge number of coins to collect to make up the various sets out there. But over the years the numbers of different coins minted will increase exponentially, (we are already seeing it now), this will eventually dilute the value of a great many coins, even Perth Mint stuff. People cannot collect everything. And a lot of these coins are sitting in peoples stacks waiting to be sold when they retire. Currently then these coins are not in the circulation of buying and selling, in silver limbo so to speak. Looking at this forum and others, the majority of people seem to be in the 30-40 year old range, with a few youngsters and desperate oldies making up the numbers, but as these large number of people start to retire, then these coins will start to flood the market to pay for their retirement. When that starts happening in 20 odd years time, the premiums on those coins will fall. It's simple supply and demand. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll agree to disagree on the lunars thing then.

read my post Danny, I was replying to Stretch's point, "How important is it for silver coins to be legal tender?" and the quote about "overpriced furry animals"

My point is that the perceived "importance" is only in the mind of collectors. Because when you break it down, whether it is a coin or a round, they are both small discs of silver, stamped with an image.

Firstly, don't be so obtuse by telling me to read your post - do you think I didn't? You should know me better than that by now.

It's important for collectors of coins that they are coins, just like it's important for a collector of rounds that they have no legal tender. Importance is subjective, depending on what you collect.

Stacker since 2013

" Looking at this forum and others, the majority of people seem to be in the 30-40 year old range, with a few youngsters and desperate oldies making up the numbers, but as these large number of people start to retire, then these coins will start to flood the market to pay for their retirement. "

Speaking as a "desperate oldie" I wonder just how many UK stackers there are HT, I would imagine the rich will all have a few bags of gold tucked away "just in case" and i'm aware some folk like to keep a family stack, often in the form of jewelry. But actual silver coins and rounds? I think its still a fringe activity in the UK, hopefully as more people become aware of  the folly of fiat the demand for PM will rise in the UK, with demand peaking right about the time i'm ready to sell my stack, that will be just fine by me! 

And I actually agree with the "Overpriced furry animals" bit, Any coin with an animal on it will sell better than one with say a building on it or a famous persons head. It's why the "lunars" are so popular. I actually think the aussie mints will eventually produce too many coins and the bottom will fall out of their market. They will get greedy, they will mint too many coins in too many sizes, the collectors will give up and the premiums will drop. 

No doubt the Perth Mint fans will be baying for my head for saying this, but it's just my observations.

No its your opinion which to Perth mint will be worth very little.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Well, thanks for all replies. There's certainly plenty of cynics in the UK stacking community. I just think Chris Duane is one cool dude who deserves the benefit of the doubt if there is any. His YouTube channel and sons of liberty website is second to none in the silver world. Are you sure you guys are silver bugs lol

Chris Duanes exact quote regarding Perth mint just to stir things up a bit.

"Perth mint makes a great product if you like expensive fuzzy animals with an elitist ruler stamped on the back. BTW whose family is responsible for the debt and death empire that have invaded 9 out of 10 countries on earth.... No thank you, I will stick to my silver shield."

I think that our government don't want us to put our money in Silver that's why they tax it.

For new to PM,like me it's hard to accept why we have to pay tax on silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy silver from STG and you don't have to pay full vat. I've often wondered why gold is tax free, anyone know the reason?

Well, thanks for all replies. There's certainly plenty of cynics in the UK stacking community. I just think Chris Duane is one cool dude who deserves the benefit of the doubt if there is any. His YouTube channel and sons of liberty website is second to none in the silver world. Are you sure you guys are silver bugs lol

Hi stretch, I think its just that a lot of us have heard it all before about how this investment or that investment is the next big thing, and perhaps some of us have been burnt previously. Mr Duane may have some good points, but I would rather work out myself if something is a good investment, rather than take as gospel what someone else says, especially if they have a vested interest.

All the best.

I agree lightjaw I'm just saying he has some superb videos and great philosophy. I struggle myself to understand why exactly "silver is the most undervalued investment in the history of the world." That's a Gregory Mannarino quote. Who on earth will buy or need the stuff after economic collapse I'm unsure. Why will silver be soon returning to its true value.

Buy silver from STG and you don't have to pay full vat. I've often wondered why gold is tax free, anyone know the reason?

I think more gold people have the value of country go up.

It's good for a country,that the people who live there have gold. Even the gold is in your hand,, government calculate that their citizens have that much gold.

I bought most of my silver on Stg but they only can do legal tender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking as a "desperate oldie" I wonder just how many UK stackers there are HT, I would imagine the rich will all have a few bags of gold tucked away "just in case" and i'm aware some folk like to keep a family stack, often in the form of jewelry. But actual silver coins and rounds? I think its still a fringe activity in the UK, hopefully as more people become aware of  the folly of fiat the demand for PM will rise in the UK, with demand peaking right about the time i'm ready to sell my stack, that will be just fine by me! 

As another 'desperate oldie'...(desperate for what I wonder?!)....I would like to expand on Hoody's thoughts. I concur that it is a fringe activity, in that I don't know personally know anyone else who collects or stacks PMs.

It was unknown in my family, as a specific exercise, jewellery ownership notwithstanding, and unheard of amongst colleagues, associates and clients. Or was it??  

Is it a secretive hobby/pastime/obsession? Is it more prevalent than one might suppose? Or a new phenomena born out increased financial education and a belief that the economy is imminently doomed?  :)

Firstly, don't be so obtuse by telling me to read your post - do you think I didn't? You should know me better than that by now.

We weren't discussing which is better, we were discussing the difference.

Perhaps if you re-phrased the above quote which appears to suggest I'm not allowed to discuss my thoughts and replies on the OP's question, and only comment on the things you were discussing, then maybe the first quote would not have been required. You may have been discussing one thing, I was discussing another. 

;)  :D

As another 'desperate oldie'...(desperate for what I wonder?!)....

I too am an "oldie" :) The "desperation" I was alluding to, is the desperation of trying to cram in as much stacking of PM's before I hit retirement age..... :)

I don't have as much stacking time left as some of the "kids" on here...LOL

Perhaps if you re-phrased the above quote which appears to suggest I'm not allowed to discuss my thoughts and replies on the OP's question, and only comment on the things you were discussing, then maybe the first quote would not have been required. You may have been discussing one thing, I was discussing another.

I'm going to leave it there, give you the upper hand so to speak.

Well done.

Stacker since 2013

I've often wondered why gold is tax free, anyone know the reason?

We used to have to pay vat on gold from 1973 until 1999 or 2000 when there was a EU ruling stating that all EU nations were to abolish vat on gold, that's about the only decent thing the EU has done for us.

As another 'desperate oldie'...(desperate for what I wonder?!)....I would like to expand on Hoody's thoughts. I concur that it is a fringe activity, in that I don't know personally know anyone else who collects or stacks PMs.

It was unknown in my family, as a specific exercise, jewellery ownership notwithstanding, and unheard of amongst colleagues, associates and clients. Or was it??  

Is it a secretive hobby/pastime/obsession? Is it more prevalent than one might suppose? Or a new phenomena born out increased financial education and a belief that the economy is imminently doomed?  :)

The few people who know that I stack see it as just a collecting hobby, on the very rare occasions I have even implied my distrust of fiat peoples eyes glaze over and I become the nut that doesn't trust money, so I don't bother. Then again the topic simply does not arise often in day to day conversation so who knows? I do recall a casual conversation about coin collecting that also revealed the guy was a stacker, but he was just a nut who didn't trust money.

• 1 month later...

Bit dark for me, though I'm sure it will do well enough, apparantly viewing this round also puts you in the market for something called "wise food" and ammunition, according to the "you may also be interested in" column below. But no, piles of bones and death stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Archived