• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Sovereigns old vs new for long term?

Mark10110

Is there any reason to just buy new if you are holding for retirement? 

What I am trying to say in some way is, If I retire in 20-30 years is it worth buying new keeping in capsules to keep them shiny and new or does it not matter and just buy random years mixed bag from the lowest priced dealer?

I buy new because some of the very best forgeries/oddities can puzzle even experts (of which there are many on here and an invaluable resource). It's obviously a hugely rewarding labour of love but a big commitment imho so for simple wealth preservation I buy new from reputable sources, including good sellers on here of course.

Just now, kimchi said:

I buy new because some of the very best forgeries/oddities can puzzle even experts (of which there are many on here and an invaluable resource). It's obviously a hugely rewarding labour of love but a big commitment imho so for simple wealth preservation I buy new from reputable sources, including good sellers on here of course.

buying fakes does bother me a lot, Not sure how exactly to test them

4 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

buying fakes does bother me a lot, Not sure how exactly to test them

Lots of advice on here about that if you dig around! Many use a simple cheap dimension tester along with weight measurement and only then look deeper if something looks or feels 'off'. I may be overstating the issue I just like to keep things simple, if I started collecting historical Sovs there'd be no stopping me!

Be interested to hear different views!

I collect any GOLD Coins, if the price is right at the time of Purchase. I buy silver and commemorative coins to sell or Flip for Profit, the profit builds up then I buy GOLD. Just keep repeating the process and you will be amazed at the amount of GOLD you have in your Stack after a few years. One more thing   I Love Coins Me !!!!!!

for the bulk of retirement pm's, I believe buying

cheapest bullion sovereigns is probably the

best option.

I would choose a reputable dealer and buy the

cheapest you can find.

it should be easier to sell cheapest sovereigns

than to convince buyers that your specific

sovereign is worth a premium.

HH

Archived