• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

American looking to be Sovereigns

SilverPanFan

I'm considering buying some gold and because I see price of Sovereigns for around 300-400 dollars for BU ones, I thought I'd take the plunge. I know nothing about Sovereigns only that I love the ones with the knight riding a horse on the reverse and not the the crown ones. Since I'm an American, I would love for some help in getting a great looking one for a great price. I'm more of a collector than a stacker.

Looking at the price in US dollars it would cost me around £19.31 more for the MS64 1959 sovereign than the MS 60 1958 sovereign which is £344.22 . The reason is that I have to pay for shipping for that seller which is arround £4.02. For the cost difference in dollars I would be paying $425.00 + $5.25 shipping for the '59 MS 64 sovereign and only $450 for the '58 MS 60 sovereign. I also want to taken into consideration the reputation of the seller of the coin. I've only purchased a nice graded coin once and I want to make sure I get a nice coin from a great seller for a great price. I think I may consider the sovereign as my investment piece. 

1 hour ago, SilverPanFan said:

it would cost me around £19.31 more for the MS64 1959 sovereign than the MS 60 1958 sovereign which is £344.22

IMO the 1959 is by far the best buy of the two you mention at those prices; it is no contest. My reasoning is that a very good grade MS64 for the lowest mintage (1.3 m) Gillick 1959 for only £20 more than the very common 1958 (mintage 8.7m) at only a MS60 grade is a no-brainer. That is only my opinion, it's your money, I'm not trying to tell you what to do😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

IMO the 1959 is by far the best buy of the two you mention at those prices; it is no contest. My reasoning is that a very good grade MS64 for the lowest mintage (1.3 m) Gillick 1959 for only £20 more than the very common 1958 (mintage 8.7m) at only a MS60 grade is a no-brainer. That is only my opinion, it's your money, I'm not trying to tell you what to do😉

Thanks. I'm considering gold as my investment buy so I figured sovereigns would be great. Will go with the MS 64

On 02/02/2019 at 22:51, Alex said:

The seller doesn't have a return piloicy so I don't know what to do.

I just looked at the listing and he has got it up with the global shipping programme and it states that there will be an additional £73 added at the checkout process for import duty. This should not be the case with gold.

The seller has 100% feedback so I would trust that and read through his seller's feedback to double check but I would also email him and see what he can do regarding the extra charge. Or it could be a long process via HMRC to recover that charge

16 minutes ago, AgD said:

I just looked at the listing and he has got it up with the global shipping programme and it states that there will be an additional £73 added at the checkout process for import duty. This should not be the case with gold.

The seller has 100% feedback so I would trust that and read through his seller's feedback to double check but I would also email him and see what he can do regarding the extra charge. Or it could be a long process via HMRC to recover that charge

The potential buyer is already in the US so it's domestic shipping.

@AgDIt's being shipped from  Arizona and I would have to pay a $5.25 shipping cost as well, not an  import fee. I was converting the cost into pounds as I think a lot, if not most, are from the UK on the forum. 

So, seeing as the seller has a perfect rating, I think the seller maybe a legitimate coin guy, but I do wonder if the reviews are honest or if they where forced to give a positive review from a scammer. Also, I don't what to ask him. Should I ask him why there is no return policy, how do I know I'm getting the real coin and not just a fake in a real NGC slab? I don't wan't the seller to read it off as me being rude.

P.S. The title should say "American Looking to Buy Sovereigns", not "American Looking to Be Sovereigns".

34 minutes ago, SilverPanFan said:

@AgDIt's being shipped from  Arizona and I would have to pay a $5.25 shipping cost as well, not an  import fee. I was converting the cost into pounds as I think a lot, if not most, are from the UK on the forum. 

So, seeing as the seller has a perfect rating, I think the seller maybe a legitimate coin guy, but I do wonder if the reviews are honest or if they where forced to give a positive review from a scammer. Also, I don't what to ask him. Should I ask him why there is no return policy, how do I know I'm getting the real coin and not just a fake in a real NGC slab? I don't wan't the seller to read it off as me being rude.

P.S. The title should say "American Looking to Buy Sovereigns", not "American Looking to Be Sovereigns".

It was just me reading quickly buddy so no probs.

I get where you are coming from on the no reruns it is strange if that's all he does is sell coins you would ecspet to see a return policy.

It's a 50/50 situation and hope you make the right choice 👍

1 hour ago, SilverPanFan said:

I wouldn't worry. If I saw a coin from a seller like this in the UK I would have no hesitation buying. Member since 2006, 100% feedback of over 1100, 253 positive in the last 6 months. You can't get much better. Unlikely to be an account scammed over.
If it's the same over there as here in the UK, pay by paypal, you're fully covered in the event of no delivery, fake or not as described.

I'm not sure why you're bothered by a no return policy; it's doesn't mean a damn. If there's a problem, ebay will let you return it regardless of what the seller says.
What are you worried about? It's slabbed and you can check it at NGC. The only possible problem is if it's a fake salb and then you just report him and return for a refund.

36 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I wouldn't worry. If I saw a coin from a seller like this in the UK I would have no hesitation buying. Member since 2006, 100% feedback of over 1100, 253 positive in the last 6 months. You can't get much better. Unlikely to be an account scammed over.
If it's the same over there as here in the UK, pay by paypal, you're fully covered in the event of no delivery, fake or not as described.

I'm not sure why you're bothered by a no return policy; it's doesn't mean a damn. If there's a problem, ebay will let you return it regardless of what the seller says.
What are you worried about? It's slabbed and you can check it at NGC. The only possible problem is if it's a fake salb and then you just report him and return for a refund.

@sovereignsteve Thank you. I will see what he is the lowest he is willing to sell it for. Do you think it's a good investment into gold or should I just consider this a numismatic item?

Sorry just woke up, and read this thread. I would have said they are both great and buy them both 😂😂😂 

Let us know how you get on. 

I am an American as well but I now live in England UK. 

I am NOT a fan of Soverigns, but good luck. 

Archived