• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Numismatic Pandas future

Frenchie

Hello,

By looking at auctions or seller's prices , even in a bad economical environment or low gold prices I notice that Pandas are always sought after.  

Do you think is it wise to invest in the key Pandas, with such premiums today ?  Even if I do a lot of search about them,  I do not have enough experience and the necessary hindsight and will be curious to see how they will perform in a rising gold price environment. In other words, is this really a safe bet?

For the example, I could be tempted by a key  1oz 1995 in OMP at 2,5/3  x spot value. Would you consider it as a fair price today, are these Pandas undervalued, or they are too much in a hype ?

Pre 2010 Pandas, and especially the 1995/2003 pandas are highly sought after and could probably increase with time  but I question myself  to know if it would be better today to buy almost 3 oz of bullion gold coin instead, while catching up values on these pandas is already done and their potentiality is more limited in the future

What is your take on this ?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Hello,

By looking at auctions or seller's prices , even in a bad economical environment or low gold prices I notice that Pandas are always sought after.  

Do you think is it wise to invest in the key Pandas, with such premiums today ?  Even if I do a lot of search about them,  I do not have enough experience and the necessary hindsight and will be curious to see how they will perform in a rising gold price environment. In other words, is this really a safe bet?

For the example, I could be tempted by a key  1oz 1995 in OMP at 2,5/3  x spot value. Would you consider it as a fair price today, are these Pandas undervalued, or they are too much in a hype ?

Pre 2010 Pandas, and especially the 1995/2003 pandas are highly sought after and could probably increase with time  but I question myself  to know if it would be better today to buy almost 3 oz of bullion gold coin instead, while catching up values on these pandas is already done and their potentiality is more limited in the future

Thank you

Who's to say what Pandas will do tomorrow, you'll be effectively buying the top just now, what happens if Pandas start to lose their appeal, you'll be sitting on coins that you've paid over the odds for.........

Helpful info on the subject...

Here's a ranking from Huang Ruiyong of the most desirable (key issues) of BU gold pandas:

1998 Shenyang Large Date, 2000 Shanghai Mirror, 1999 Shanghai Small Date, 1999 Shenzhen Guobao Serif, 1998 Shanghai Small Date, 1995 Shenyang Small Date, 1995 Shanghai Large Date, 1989 Shenyang Large Date, 1994 Shenyang Small Date, 1994 Shanghai Large Date, 1993 Shanghai Large Date, 1999 Shenyang LargeDate, 2002 Shenzhen Guobao, 2000 Shenzhen Guobao, 1991 Shenyang, 1991 Shanghai, 1996 Shenyang Large date, 1996 Shanghai Small Date, 1997 Shenyang Large Date, 1997 Shanghai Small Date, 1982, 2001D, 1987Y, 2006

Link to full article is here:

http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2012/11/huang-ruiyongs-article-on-u-panda.html?m=1

6 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Hello,

Thank you

The 1oz have less than 4500 survives

A couple months a go  a date run of 1oz gold came up and imho they went cheap, by memory it was the 1982, 1995 and 2000 mirror that went for good money.      I’ll look up sometime actual prices.   Most went for spot + commission.     The seller would have been better selling on eBay or to a good dealer.      Not sure but could have been someone’s estate because no one with that good of a collection would have let to go for those prices

Archived