• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns colour

Fathallazf

23 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, and the Royal Mint agreed with us.

You did once warn me about sending possible fakes to the RM museum. If it is, they'll almost certainly stamp it "Fake" you said!😁

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

You did once warn me about sending possible fakes to the RM museum. If it is, they'll almost certainly stamp it "Fake" you said!😁

Yes, if from the general public, but not from reputable dealers, and probably not from genuine numismatists. This may be a question of establishing ones credentials.

Chards

Anyway, it just shows how good some of the larger 1887 fakes are, if you feel the need to send some off to the museum.

You won't but I remember bringing in 3 or 4 doubles one time and the two of us trying to decide if they were genuine. You got out your stock from the back to compare and also that article that you now have on your Flickr, the one that points out distinguishing marks on one type of fake. I was lucky to catch you in I think😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

We do use axial lighting, but not on the above coin, which would have probably been "heavy breathing", or just natural, wish ringflash.

Axial Lighting:

I'm still experimenting with axial lighting and struggling a little, I think I need to invest in a quality macro lens, but I'm unfamiliar with "heavy breathing", can you elaborate please?

12 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

I'm still experimenting with axial lighting and struggling a little, I think I need to invest in a quality macro lens, but I'm unfamiliar with "heavy breathing", can you elaborate please?

Are you sure you really want to know about the heavy breathing?

Chards

15 hours ago, Booky586 said:

Haha, perhaps not, I'll focus (no pun intended) on the axial lighting for now! 😃

You are probably right about getting a good quality macro lens.

What have you got currently? Camera, lens, etc?

This album shows some of our photo equipment:

Cameras & Lenses

Our workhorse studio lens is a Canon 100mm macro.

I was looking forward to discussing "heavy breathing", but it was getting late last night.

Chards

I'm using a Canon digital SLR EOS 1100D with the lens it was purchased with, an EFS 18-55mm. I've got my sights set on a second hand Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro lens, just waiting for a bargain to show up on eBay. It's probably going to be the same as :

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Our workhorse studio lens is a Canon 100mm macro

Here's my studio (living room):

IMG_8285.thumb.jpg.51e567abb2f4e08fc8426d13ae75338e.jpg

16 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

I'm using a Canon digital SLR   with the lens it was purchased with, an EFS 18-55mm. I've got my sights set on a second hand Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro lens, just waiting for a bargain to show up on eBay. It's probably going to be the same as :

Here's my studio (living room):

The kit lens is not very good.

you could get a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens, which is very good, and should be good with the APS-C sensor.

Sure you could get a 100m Macro, but you don't need it, unless you intend to upgrade later to a full frame sensor camera.

Chards

Archived