• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Import- Paying/ Claiming back the VAT

richatthecroft

Did you request your sender put the CPC Code 40 00 073 on the Customs Label?  If you check the shipping label it normally says "Full Description of Goods" - In your case you should have requested the sender to declare "Investment Grade Gold Half Onza" if there isn't a "TARIC Code, Tariff Code, Harmonisation Code or CPC Code" box on the form you put the CPC Code 40 00 073 in the Full Description Box also.

You give the coin weight, cost and total value as appropriate and the currecy, say $ USD.  If the cost of the coin is over 180% of spot gold, VAT is due.  Gold coins minted after 1800 must be over 0.90 fineness, Legal Tender in the Country of origin and the purchase price of the coin must be below 180% of gold spot.

VAT should be 5% but I've known 20% charged.

It also helps if the Seller puts the Invoice in the external Customs plastic wallet and declares the CPC Code and other Full Details there.  

It is the buyer's and sender's responsibility to quote the correct codes.  I always tell the Seller what I want on the Customs Form.

When I made a successful claim against a Customs charge to HMRC using form BOR286, I had to prove that the correct codes had been declared.  It took about 8 to 10 weeks for me to get my money back - but I got it.

HMRC tend to have a policy of charge and you prove they've made a mistake.  If the Customs Form hasn't got all the details, you can't expect HMRC to quess what is applicable.  Just because it's on one of their exempt lists isn't enough.

Regards Parcelforce invoicing later for the charge that's exactly the same as FedEx.  The reason they give is if someone pays for an "Express Service", they get it through Customs in minutes but you get invoiced later when Customs confirm the charge to FedEx or Parcelforce, 7 days or so later.

If you just send the bill back and say "tough I've got my goods" - expect to get chased for the money and they will take legal action and it could put a "black mark" on your credit rating.

Customs Labels are there for a reason and it's a bit like Tax Self Assessment - the onus is on US to fill out the forms correctly.

Sorry for the "War and Peace" but buying from Overseas comes with certain problems but I hope my comments help you and others in the future.

Thank you @SovTracker for your very comprehensive reply, very helpful for future purchases.

I have already started the ball rolling, and spoken to Parcelforce and always suspected I would be liable for the VAT in the first instance, prior to making a claim back, as the customs declaration was not as outlined above.  

I once had a run-in with HMRC before when I was in business and it wasn’t pleasant. 

Thanks again. 

Archived