• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thai Gold Coins?

gsimpson

Hi

I have another wedding coming up, not the one I mentioned in another posting, and was thinking of buying this couple, man (Scottish) & lady (Thai) a gold 1/4 oz Britannia and a 1/4 oz Thai coin! The issue I'm having is finding any gold coins from Thailand. Therefore my question is what 1/4 oz coins exist in Thailand and secondary where do I get one in the UK?

TIA

-Gs

OK - I’ve done a bit of research, Thailand have issued a few 1/4 oz gold coins over the years.  Check out this link which should give you an indication of the size, years of issue etc and then maybe you can do a search for a specific coin?  If the link doesn’t work, just go to Numista and select Thailand as issuer and then Gold in the search bar, you should get 2 pages of coins

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?mode=simplifie&p=1&l=thailande&r=Gold&e=thailande&d=&ca=3&no=&i=&v=&m=&a=&t=&dg=&w=&u=&f=&g=&tb=y&tc=y&tn=y&tp=y&tt=y&te=y&cat=y

Hi Mike

I had considered the Unicorn of Scotland and again was struggling with what I'd get the female, was toying with one of the lunar coins but thought that might be too much focused on Chinese. Thanks so much for finding that link, it looks interesting I'll have a proper look at it tonight when I get home from work (y). 

-gs

2 hours ago, gsimpson said:

Hi

I have another wedding coming up, not the one I mentioned in another posting, and was thinking of buying this couple, man (Scottish) & lady (Thai) a gold 1/4 oz Britannia and a 1/4 oz Thai coin! The issue I'm having is finding any gold coins from Thailand. Therefore my question is what 1/4 oz coins exist in Thailand and secondary where do I get one in the UK?

TIA

-Gs

Will you be my friend?  I’m getting married next year ;) 

3 hours ago, gsimpson said:

Hi Mike

I had considered the Unicorn of Scotland and again was struggling with what I'd get the female, was toying with one of the lunar coins but thought that might be too much focused on Chinese. Thanks so much for finding that link, it looks interesting I'll have a proper look at it tonight when I get home from work (y). 

-gs

QB Dragon seems to fit the bill, they are revered in Thailand.

@RegalStacker May have some Thai gold?

I just have a 1oz 2016 Proof Silver Thai. The year the king died but this coin is long term stack for my daughter. I believe they did a 2016 gold too.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

wow, thanks, everyone! 

lol @Goldhooked I can't afford any more  8-) especially ones getting married 8-p

@mr-dead I did come across that one, thanks though (y)

@Martlet this is very very interesting as that would sit nicely alongside the unicorn of Scotland!  Top prize so far 😉

@MancunianStacker do you have any more info on that coin?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/09/2018 at 07:47, fiveshotdon said:

A Thai lady would prefer a Thai gold chain or bracelet or a nice pendent for a chain I think. Unicorn for the groom 👍

Agree. Thai gold chain is a good choice.

On 20/09/2018 at 19:32, MancunianStacker said:

@RegalStacker May have some Thai gold?

I just have a 1oz 2016 Proof Silver Thai. The year the king died but this coin is long term stack for my daughter. I believe they did a 2016 gold too.

The coin you mentioned is a silver proof elephant coin with 5000 mintage. Price has gone up. There are 1 oz gold proof, 1/4 oz gold proof and 1 oz silver proof

in this series. Premium is high for all coins in this set.

42 minutes ago, spanit said:

The coin you mentioned is a silver proof elephant coin with 5000 mintage. Price has gone up. There are 1 oz gold proof, 1/4 oz gold proof and 1 oz silver proof

in this series. Premium is high for all coins in this set.

@spanit my work colleague is returning home to Bangkok for Christmas, I'm very interested in finding a 1/4 oz gold coin, either bullion or proof, do you know anywhere selling such coins or the one mentioned above? 

The reason I'm interested more in the coin is that I've got the 1/4 oz Unicorn of Scotland for the gentleman and I plan on getting a presentation case that will hold both coins 2 x 1/4 oz and getting a little gold strip engraved with the date of their wedding.

Thanks

-Gs

12 hours ago, gsimpson said:

@spanit my work colleague is returning home to Bangkok for Christmas, I'm very interested in finding a 1/4 oz gold coin, either bullion or proof, do you know anywhere selling such coins or the one mentioned above? 

The reason I'm interested more in the coin is that I've got the 1/4 oz Unicorn of Scotland for the gentleman and I plan on getting a presentation case that will hold both coins 2 x 1/4 oz and getting a little gold strip engraved with the date of their wedding.

Thanks

-Gs

Normally the thailand treasury issues 1/2 oz gold coin (weight 1 thai gold baht). The 1/4 oz has not been issued long time ago except the latest once in 2016. In 2016 they issued

set of 1 oz gold proof/ 1/4 oz gold proof and 1 oz silver proof. The weight is exactly in oz not Thai gold baht, probably minted by the royal mint.To me, this set is very beautiful but also pricey.

These coins price has gone up and decreased a bit. Sometimes I found people sell them on Thai facebook coin group. Price varies, upto the seller. Also, the coins go on auction also.

Link below is another option for you, 90% purity gold, weight 7.5 g , approx 1/4 oz.

https://www.ma-shops.com/eidler/item.php?id=1042&lang=en

@spanitthanks some food for thought there! Do you have a name for the 2016 coin (I take it this is the one for the year the king died?)

>>These coins price has gone up and decreased a bit. Sometimes I found people sell them on Thai facebook coin group. Price varies, upto the seller. Also, the coins go on auction also.

Can you recall roughly what they were selling for recently?

Thanks

-Gs

2 hours ago, gsimpson said:

@spanitthanks some food for thought there! Do you have a name for the 2016 coin (I take it this is the one for the year the king died?)

>>These coins price has gone up and decreased a bit. Sometimes I found people sell them on Thai facebook coin group. Price varies, upto the seller. Also, the coins go on auction also.

Can you recall roughly what they were selling for recently?

Thanks

-Gs

Coin details

http://news.coinupdate.com/thailand-unveils-exclusive-wildlife-coin-series-at-world-money-fair/

Results from latest thailand auction house : eurseree (You have to add 10.7% from the realized price to get the total pay.)

http://sale50.eurseree.com/cgi-bin/info/agora.cgi?cart_id=3126088.7865*Lw03p6&p_id=2875&xm=on&ppinc=search2

http://sale50.eurseree.com/cgi-bin/info/agora.cgi?cart_id=3126088.7865*VQ8D80&p_id=2125&xm=on&ppinc=search2

http://sale50.eurseree.com/cgi-bin/info/agora.cgi?cart_id=3126088.7865*JQ7Z86&p_id=2266&xm=on&ppinc=search2

http://sale50.eurseree.com/cgi-bin/info/agora.cgi?cart_id=3126088.7865*6i7r51&p_id=2215&xm=on&ppinc=search2

12 minutes ago, spanit said:

Archived