• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SOS Help.... Can Anyone give information

jonrms

I have someone on my FB website who will hopefully be joining us here ask a question about a BAR (or Plaque) that he picked up over 10 years ago.

Now I have dug through ALL of my data base and Googled the heck out of this and NOTHING has come up!

The closest thing I found was Westminster 1/2 GOLD coin.

I am keeping a open mind. Here are the dimeter and specs. 40mm L       23mm W    1 3/4mm Thick.

Now that sounds about right and Bullion by post have verified its real by means with XRF and have offered to buy it.

HELP...……….

Confused Gold Bar.jpg

Gold 2.jpg

G6.jpg

G5.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - not seen one like that before. I did see someone in silver similar but not the same a few years ago but was in a different box and had less text. Sorry mate. 

Best

dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Commemorative Twin Towers bar I reckon and as @dicker already mentioned I too have seen something similar struck in silver.

At least you know you have one troy ounce of fine gold.
The density of pure gold is 19.32 g/cm3 so 31.104 grams would have a volume of 1610 mm3 and that ties in nicely with your dimensions.

Most dealers will only give up to 98% of spot so try selling elsewhere where you should get a few percent over spot at least, maybe more in the USA where someone was badly affected by 911.

Not a good time to sell gold ( personal opinion ) but obviously a good time to buy with spot being relatively low right now.

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Commemorative Twin Towers bar I reckon and as @dicker already mentioned I too have seen something similar struck in silver.

At least you know you have one troy ounce of fine gold.
The density of pure gold is 19.32 g/cm3 so 31.104 grams would have a volume of 1610 mm3 and that ties in nicely with your dimensions.

Most dealers will only give up to 98% of spot so try selling elsewhere where you should get a few percent over spot at least, maybe more in the USA where someone was badly affected by 911.

Not a good time to sell gold ( personal opinion ) but obviously a good time to buy with spot being relatively low right now.

As a very rough guess, I would suspect that this was made by someone like:

- Franklin Mint

- Washington Mint

- National collectors Mint

Potentially as a special or even maybe as part of a set?

Not sure there is a great deal of value over melt but it is worth researching because it is an unmarked box and may be unusual.  

best

dicker

First it's not mine.

I suspect the box is NOT the original.  Those boxes went out if style along time ago. 

I am suspicious because of the wording.  And that every mint office I have looked into does not have a archive of this. 

A XRF is not a guarantee it's genuine.  And he is not looking to sell, just looking for answers on it's maker. 

I did mention to send it to a assay office if he wants 100% proof, but told him to wait as we have a wide variety of members who can help. 

4 minutes ago, TheNose said:

I've seen a lot of recycled/recovered gold from the trade center be remelted and made into other coins and bullion form as a commemorative by many different places. hope this helps if any 

Do you mean make from gold recovered from the WTC?

He should be joining the forum now. 

It doesn't take much to fool a XRF. Thick plating 2 to 5g of pure gold and the tungsten can be hidden. Worth it in even a 1oz bar sadly. 

1 minute ago, ronny said:

Hi everyone, this bar is mine and I've been looking for information for years so Thank you for your time and opinions

Welcome bud, I see you found it. 

We will keep looking I am still asking questions for you. 

I am always very careful about what I say about the Sept 11th because my wife was in the towers and escaped and I worked in a deling room with open lines to traders in the WTC’s when it was hit. 

I do know a lot of gold was recovered intact - in vehicles transporting it out and also from vaults that survived. I don’t really  know what gold would have been “recovered” as I a pretty sure they would have been good delivery bars. 

I would be circumspect about the bar as I can find nothing on it and asked a friend more knowledgeable than me and he has not heard / seen of this before. 

Thank you Dicker , all that I know is this bar could be very unique going by the fact there is no information known about it. From my perspective seeing and holding the bar and the analysis done and confirmation that it is pure I'm holding a unique item with a mysterious history. 

What gets me is I have never seen the wording like this

1 troy ounce OF .9999

And then there is the word "Plaque"

It's a bar???

A Plaque would not have another side.

If it is a limited edition,  you should be able to find if as it won't be the ONLY one.  And you should have a Serial number to match the COA.

As I mentioned the box is from another generation.  It has s new insert, which clearly doesn't match. And with everything I have seen so far, I am not convinced, do a trial of displacement like in @BackyardBullion video. 

I am still looking, but I am very puzzled. It's not listed on the WTC site of genuine items.

That is EXACTLY  what I told him. 

Although it was purchaced in 2008. Aliexpress for instance don't tend to show the older stuff. They now list everything differently.  

I don't know what to say. If it was my bar I would send it to a assay office and have it carefully drilled and filled. Preferably on the side in. At least I could have 100% proof and it won't damage its value. 

Archived