• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC Grading % of coins on low mintage

Bagenz

The 2018 Dragon and Tiger proof has a mintage of 1500 coins, its only been out a couple of months and so far almost 53% have been graded 790/1500 also seems weird that exactly 300 of them are graded a 70 on first day of production.

The 70 on its own I think (hope) is mine

Just these numbers seem huge

Screenshot_20180821-204734_Chrome.jpg

Just now, augur said:

Or the way bulk submission see preferential treatment?

I do believe the preferential treatment happens, but 100% of 300 coins is too suspicious/obvious isn't it, especially when the other submissions are almost 50%?

@augur I gave an opinion, but that was an actual question as well! I would love to hear what others think who have far more knowledge than me on NGC pops :)

Is it possible that these figures are correct?

If so I would try to regrade a First day 70 as a 69, makes it the rarest one :D

30 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@augur Is it possible that these figures are correct?

I am not sure what kind of deal the bulk submitters have e.g. only 70s for the first day, allocate 69 to first releases and 68 and worse to Gem BU.

Also bear in mind that other mints put out better quality than the Royal Mint. 

And finally first/early releases get away with more – i have seen numerous Royal Mint proof Sovereigns and Queens Beasts in silver and gold that lack frosting and still get a PF70. 

1 hour ago, augur said:

I am not sure what kind of deal the bulk submitters have e.g. only 70s for the first day, allocate 69 to first releases and 68 and worse to Gem BU.

Also bear in mind that other mints put out better quality than the Royal Mint. 

And finally first/early releases get away with more – i have seen numerous Royal Mint proof Sovereigns and Queens Beasts in silver and gold that lack frosting and still get a PF70. 

Aha, that would make perfect sense, many thanks!

On 22/08/2018 at 08:38, augur said:

Or the way bulk submission see preferential treatment?

Yip another anomaly 2017 Dragon and Pheonix 150/150 get a 70 marked on first day of release but the others are almost on 50% for69 and 70 for the other 29 graded.

Of course it is totally possible that a company handed them 300 coins and asked only for the first 150 that were a 70 and to return all those that dont meet the highest grade.

Just feels a little weird

Screenshot_20180825-224100_Chrome.jpg

I saw a similar thing with a recent RM release of a Gold proof £5 that went to a US dealer, the first 50 all got a PF70 grade with a special designation, very mysterious bearing in mind i had to send mine back twice before i received one that had any chance of a decent grade ?

Archived