• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do I have to worry about the weight difference?

clinisbud

Hello,

I've received 2 pandas from a german shop. I have weighted both of them and this is the result:

2n6yj5k.jpg

jrzgw5.jpg

I also weighted a Maple and was more than 31.10g, 31,30g. The balance is new and it's the one recommended in the forum. I'm sure there's a reason, but I though that all the coins should weight 31.10 +- 0.01g

Thank you

is the scale correct?

most coins weight just over 31,1g, not under.

try calibrate the scale and weight them again

It's OK, it comes adjusted from factory. I weighted 3 two euro coins and it was OK. The three weighted +-0.02g

My question it's: does a coin to weight exactly what it's supposed to weight? There's an error margin? It's the first time bought silver coins and I'm worried. The coins doesn't seem fakes, but I can't assure.

Thank you

It's OK, it comes adjusted from factory. I weighted 3 two euro coins and it was OK. The three weighted +-0.02g

My question it's: does a coin to weight exactly what it's supposed to weight? There's an error margin? It's the first time bought silver coins and I'm worried. The coins doesn't seem fakes, but I can't assure.

Thank you

As it has been said, scales, especially ones that weigh small amounts need to be calibrated practically everytime you use them. You need to buy a calibration weight, in order to confirm the scales are correct 

Hello,

jrzgw5.jpg

I also weighted a Maple and was more than 31.10g, 31,30g. The balance is new and it's the one recommended in the forum. I'm sure there's a reason, but I though that all the coins should weight 31.10 +- 0.01g

Thank you

Just noticed at the top of the pic, the words are actually telling you you should be calibrating your scales

try weighing the maple 31.1g together with one of the pandas and then

weigh the 31.3g maple with the same panda, do you get what you expect?

also re weigh the same panda to see if the scales are consistent.

I would feel uncomfortable with it being underweight, even if it's only a little

bit, panda's are not exactly bargain bucket coins, their qc should guarantee

a minimum of 1oz like it's peers.

HH

I also bought Pandas new and weighed a selection.

They were all marginally underweight and my scales are very accurate.

All other brands of coins were correct weight or slightly positive but the Chinese are cheating us.

The 2015s apparently won't state the weight.

in troy oz.

the weight will be displayed in grams, moving towards a metric system will make sense for much of the rest of the world. a few old empires are clinging to stupid measurements like oz. needs to go the way of the pre-decimal coinage... total support for china in this.

in troy oz.

the weight will be displayed in grams, moving towards a metric system will make sense for much of the rest of the world. a few old empires are clinging to stupid measurements like oz. needs to go the way of the pre-decimal coinage... total support for china in this.

Ounces are NOT stupid measurements, but ones created over thousands of years of history. It might surprise you that the metric system is actually based on the same system as the old imperial measurements, they are both based on what is known as the megalithic yard . 

I would recommend this book to anyone, and it is absolutely jaw dropping when you find out that both the metric and imperial measurements are created from the same root system. It is one of my favourite non -fiction books of all time.  Oh and I'd like to see anyone create a metric system to replace the imperial 360 degrees to a circle....LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-One-The-World-Thought/dp/1907486097

51eMR1sMLwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I also bought Pandas new and weighed a selection.

They were all marginally underweight and my scales are very accurate.

All other brands of coins were correct weight or slightly positive but the Chinese are cheating us.

I am so glad that I have no intention of ever buying any chinese coins. I like to get what I've paid for, and if I've paid for 31.1g, I WANT 31.1g of silver. 

Easy. 200 degrees to a circle.

Invented, job done.

Ah, but now you've got to change all the date lines around the world. And in doing so, you will have to create a metric hour, plus a metric day, and a metric month and a metric year, and then account for the fact that all the time keeping equipment around the world is also based on the root 60 and change that. . 

Not so easy when you get down to it.... :D

And then read the book above to see how the earliest civilisations measured a second of time, When you find out it's simplicity then you will understand exactly how the how system of measurement is actually based on the dimensions of the Earth itself.

As I said, I cannot recommend the book more highly.  

Ah, but now you've got to change all the date lines around the world. And in doing so, you will have to create a metric hour, plus a metric day, and a metric month and a metric year, and then account for the fact that all the time keeping equipment around the world is also based on the root 60 and change that. .

Not so easy when you get down to it.... :D

No no no, you are looking at it wrong.

I'm more thinking along the lines of the two pound coin. I make the decision that there are 200 degrees in a circle, and let everybody else deal with the consequences.

Stacker since 2013

No no no, you are looking at it wrong.

I'm more thinking along the lines of the two pound coin. I make the decision that there are 200 degrees in a circle, and let everybody else deal with the consequences.

It's not the £2 coin that has caused the problems, it's the new £1 coin that is coming.

The coin vending machine industry is going loopy about it......

coin1954200.jpg

Archived