• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Heroes of Silver: The Philharmonic

silversword

2009SilverPhilharmonic.png

An unsung mainstay of bullion coin stacking, since 2008 these unassuming little 1oz silver coins have been minted in their millions by Münze Österreich AG, with over 40 million units sold in the last few years alone.

Like it's gold counterpart, the silver coin takes it's name and design from the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, and features a finely detailled assortment of musical instruments, including double bass, cello, violins, a bassoon, a harp and (of course) Viennese horn on its reverse. The obverse of the coin shows the great organ of the Musikverein concert hall in Vienna where the orchestra is based. Both sides are incredibly finely sculpted and the coins polished finish means it shines brightly and is visually striking.

Much like the Battle of Britain during WW2, with the Spitfire taking the glory ahead of the workhorse Hurricane, the Philharmonic is often derided by stackers and collectors alike; it hasn't the glamour or appeal of some of it's contemparies: It's design is un-changed from Thomas Pesendorfer's 25-year-old classic, so apart from gilded and colourised variants, it arguably holds little collectable interest, but like all good workers, it is always there, from year to year, providing an affordable yet good looking coin to provide a solid investment base. 

It's somewhat squat dimensions (3.2mm thick, 37mm wide) and polished, un-reeded edge, give it a unique feel amongst bullion coins that definitely polarises opinion, but as a stacking coin it is still arguably one of the best.

Everyone should own at least one of these silver treasures.

• Founder & Administrator

I have one and I dislike it a lot.

Even if in a tube I don't like the thought of knowing what they look like.

I'd pay the extra premium for libertads instead, any day of the week.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Bah, the Mexicans can't even be bothered to supply a decent coin tube. :P

Looks are subjective, but you cannot deny that the Philly is a very cost effective way to stack bullion coins. When it comes to getting your £/oz ratio down, or just making a budget-conscious start to stacking, our humble Austrian friend beats just about every other modern coin out there.

I have never actually held one, so might be writing them off a bit unfairly, but they are right at the bottom of my list, along with royal stuff. I'll probably get one for the collection for some variety, but it'd have to be a sweet deal to convince me to get a tube

I like them for stacking, I have bought them for a few years now, compared to other coins less milk spots.  

I also think they are a nice coin, obviously you would only buy for stacking.

Bah, the Mexicans can't even be bothered to supply a decent coin tube. :P

Looks are subjective, but you cannot deny that the Philly is a very cost effective way to stack bullion coins. When it comes to getting your £/oz ratio down, or just making a budget-conscious start to stacking, our humble Austrian friend beats just about every other modern coin out there.

The new libertad coin tube is plastic. With a nice black cap. ;)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I think these coins are great, especially with an eye for selling on in the future. They are the most popular coin in Europe, and I've posted in the past that STG's buy back price on Phillies is better %age wise than any other coin they sell. That indicates to me that the buying market for them is huge, and you'll have no problem selling them when the time comes to cash in your coins.

Unfortunately, the "collectors" in this forum will always have problems letting go and selling their semi-numi  "Precious's", 

, gollum_and_ring.jpg

(and I know more than most, hence the reason I have boxes and boxes of stamps, toys, comics and autographs :) ) 

Us "stackers" though will have no problem shifting our nest eggs of phillies when it comes to pay our bar bills on some distant tropical island when we retire ;)  

from what ive learned about this game , and my game is only selling back to a dealer in years to come ,  the phils are still too expensive ,

the maples are still the best buyt on a lower spot price    im viewing this game as   like shares  buy LOW  sell HIGH    im in it for pure profit  phills are still too high I can buy other coins less than these

sorry phil    nowt personel

I am quoting my own quote but on STG which people seem to love, the price on libertads is €0.10 cheaper than philamonics right now!

Discounts / Offers

STG now:

Philly = 22.99% over spot undelivered

Maple = 16.95% over spot undelivered

= 6% extra for a Philly over the Maple

6% is 6% but in money that is 73p so if you break it down like that, I think you shouldn't worry too much about the premium over spot as if you're picking up the odd one here and there it's worth the extra just to diversify your stack.  If you're buying by the tube, then yes Maples might be the better option.

Another point worth mentioning though is the face value, is that the Maple has a face value of 5 CAD = 4.65 USD and the Philly, with it's 1.5 EUR = 2.09 USD.  Sure, if you believe that prices will increase and looking at selling for profit in a few years then ignore that, but if you are paranoid of silver manipulation and therefore a fall of silver below face value, then Maples are your best bet for a) one of the lowest premiums over spot and b )  higher face value if silver plummets and you want to cash out. I only see a gradual increase though, so I'm not in this camp.

You are really looking at the wrong figures on STG

You should be looking at their buy back prices, not silver spot prices.

Maple £14.17, buy back price of £12.03. So STG will buy back Maples at 84.9% of their selling price

Libertads £14.80, buy back price of £13.01. So STG will buy back Libertads at 87.9% of their selling price.

Phillies £14.89, buy back price of £13.13, So STG will buy back Phillies at 88.2% of their selling price.

So currently while Maples are cheaper, Both Libs and Phillies are better value when it comes to selling back to a dealer, with the Phillies fractionally ahead of the Libs.  

Sorry there are people here who don't really like 'em and think there are better alternatives and voice it, in a forum of all places ;)

Heck, it even promoted discussion about the merits of the Philharmonic, nothing better than debate to get the bones out of an argument than one big positive circle jerk IMO :)

I do think that collectors find it really hard to relate to stackers.

They understand why the stackers are doing it that way, but they just can't comprehend a silver coin being an object of investment rather than a collection.

Well it's true of me anyway.

I think if collectors are brutally honest with themselves, they would admit that they are very different to stackers.

Philharmonics, in the most part, are a coin for stackers. I'd imagine the majority of the coins never see daylight, or the outside of their tube.

Stacker since 2013

Oh no, I perfectly get the investment over collection motive, but for me it comes down to personal preference because - IMO - I would stack ASEs, but that's because I have an extreme weakness for American silver however.

I suppose I find it hard to relate to buying the cheapest silver coin to stack & you don't even like the design, that's probably the aspect I'd find the most bizarre if it occurred.

Archived