• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Heroes of Silver: The Philharmonic

silversword

I do think that collectors find it really hard to relate to stackers.

They understand why the stackers are doing it that way, but they just can't comprehend a silver coin being an object of investment rather than a collection.

Well it's true of me anyway.

I think if collectors are brutally honest with themselves, they would admit that they are very different to stackers.

Philharmonics, in the most part, are a coin for stackers. I'd imagine the majority of the coins never see daylight, or the outside of their tube.

Lets just say that stackers will make money for themselves to spend from their silver coins.

Whilst collectors will make money for their kids to spend, when they kick the bucket. Guarantee that as soon as you are put in the ground / burnt etc, the kids will be squabbling over who gets what, whilst checking on ebay for the latest prices. 

I suppose I find it hard to relate to buying the cheapest silver coin to stack & you don't even like the design, that's probably the aspect I'd find the most bizarre if it occurred.

It does occur, it's called the Philharmonic. Lol.

It's kinda what I was trying to say Ares.

Stacker since 2013

Lets just say that stackers will make money for themselves to spend from their silver coins.

Whilst collectors will make money for their kids to spend, when they kick the bucket. Guarantee that as soon as you are put in the ground / burnt etc, the kids will be squabbling over who gets what, whilst checking on ebay for the latest prices.

Wouldn't agree with that part on collectors mate, if silver hit the right price I could definitely see my way to selling most of my collection, but that's the caveat - the right price.

How many stackers would find it easy to dump everything?

I suppose I find it hard to relate to buying the cheapest silver coin to stack & you don't even like the design, that's probably the aspect I'd find the most bizarre if it occurred.

The coins you like, such as the morgans, rely on other collectors to also pay high premiums on those coins, and therefore are reliant on the whims of other collectors. Now if for some reason the internet died and PC's no longer existed, you would struggle to sell your morgans at the price you paid for them, as you would somehow have to find other Morgan collectors in the UK. Not an easy prospect as collectors dont walk around with signs on their heads.Those morgans would only be worth the scrap value you could get at the local scrap metal dealer.

Coins like philies, don't have the same premiums, but they do have silver content which will always be worth money at the basic level. Stackers buy and sell coins to make the most money from the smallest outlay. 

Wouldn't agree with that part on collectors mate, if silver hit the right price I could definitely see my way to selling most of my collection, but that's the caveat - the right price.

How many stackers would find it easy to dump everything?

LOL, you are still young, you'll learn,,,,

Believe me, it will NEVER be the right price. That is the problem with collectors. It's in the description, they "collect" :D

There is are only two reasons for a collector to sell, 1. he literally has no money to live on, and the collection will be the last thing he sells, after the Car, TV, Fridge, PC, Playstation, Pet Dog etc, and 2. In order to keep the peace with his  partner / wife. who wants to spend the cash on a new hairdo / face lift / boobs / wedding ring / nursery / conservatory. etc   

That's a pretty big caveat right there, but thankfully I've got a selection of half a dozen dealers near me who'd gladly take 'em off my hands so that's not a concern. I don't need a network, I need to know someone in the network.

Still think a Philharmonic isn't that nice of a coin, even if my total goal was maximum profit I still could never buy pounds of something which I didn't like myself, that's probably just me I suppose.

Well, I been buying silver bits and pieces since '08 (not a lot of quantity mind, I was only 15) and I've not got any of that stuff back then still with me so I'm not that inseparable with it :P

There is are only two reasons for a collector to sell, In order to keep the peace with his  partner  who wants to spend the cash on new  boobs 

and for any female stackers out there, alarm bells should be ringing if it gets to that point

That's a pretty big caveat right there, but thankfully I've got a selection of half a dozen dealers near me who'd gladly take 'em off my hands so that's not a concern.

Why would dealers buy them from you if they have no one to sell them to. It's not like the old days where coin shops could rely on hundreds of coin collectors in their local area. Coin collectors, the same as stamp collectors are a dying breed and there are less and less every year. In my youth practically every kid collected either coins or stamps. It may not have lasted till their adulthood but we all had stamp albums and coin collections. Today kids have other distractions. 

I can guarantee those dealers of yours will rely on sales online or through their ebay shops to keep in business. The  numbers of full time dealers who survive to make a good living through their shops alone in the UK can probably be counted on one hand. 

Believe me, it will NEVER be the right price. That is the problem with collectors. It's in the description, they "collect" :D

very true.

Set yourself a target and stick to it.  A good way could be to sell on the way up at certain milestones, bank the profits and reinvest part of those profits on the dips.

whilst I believe that philharmonics give you a good quality coin for next to the

lowest price for new bullion, I'd rather buy junk silver at close to melt. the returns

are better because you don't have to pay vat and each is different, and some

still have great character to them.

HH

My main dealer primarily deals in furniture and kitchens, that's his trade, his coin business is secondary and does well enough as a secondary income (deals face to face in his workshop too as a matter of fact, doesn't like computers a whole lot). Last time I went in there there was a father and a child in there and the child bought more than the dad.

And that solar flare which knocks out the internet and computers also knocks out every financial exchange on the planet, so who decides what silver on the whole is worth? Wouldn't be exactly rosy for anyone with PM holdings.

But this is wildly OT, so considering I'm probably the cause of it I'm gunna call it a day on this one ;)

Why would dealers buy them from you if they have no one to sell them to. It's not like the old days where coin shops could rely on hundreds of coin collectors in their local area. Coin collectors, the same as stamp collectors are a dying breed and there are less and less every year. In my youth practically every kid collected either coins or stamps. It may not have lasted till their adulthood but we all had stamp albums and coin collections. Today kids have other distractions.

I can guarantee those dealers of yours will rely on sales online or through their ebay shops to keep in business. The numbers of full time dealers who survive to make a good living through their shops alone in the UK can probably be counted on one hand.

I'd say if the internet was unavailable, coin collecting would return fairly quickly, along with the coin shops.

Stacker since 2013

And that solar flare which knocks out the internet and computers also knocks out every financial exchange on the planet, so who decides what silver on the whole is worth? Wouldn't be exactly rosy for anyone with PM holdings.

Probably the same people who decided the value of silver in the thousands of years up to the mid 1990's. They seemed to do all right, with clay tablets, then papyrus, vellum and finally paper and ink. 

Silver was worth much more in them there  days.  ;)

So I'd still be alright then, because higher silver value would make up for the lost premiums? ;)

World is more global than it was then, not as simple as looking how they used to do it. It's more of a commodity now as an industrial metal than it ever was 200+ years ago.

So I'd still be alright then, because higher silver value would make up for the lost premiums? ;)

Ah but you would have paid £25 for 24 g of silver. (£1.04 per gram)

Whilst I would have paid £15 for 31g of silver (48p per gram)

I'd have twice the amount of silver than you  :D

Archived