• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rwanda Nautical series tarnishing

20240405_132917.thumb.jpg.a108fe234429ea83640ddd96b5852e76.jpgJust noticed tarnishing on some of my Rwanda Nautical series. In the photo on the right half, you can see the tarnishing/toning. I thought with them been sealed they wouldn't suffer with this. I have also noticed tarnishing on 2 other coins in this series. Has anyone else noticed this?

There are posts on forums claiming some kind of chemical leeching from the poly sleeve causes this and advise cutting them out and fitting them in capsules but opinion seems divided, my nautical series are all in capsules and they are all fine but that was only beacause I got a good deal buying the previous rounds in the series as a job lot and the previous owner had done this.  I also have the Rwandan Lunar series which I was buying from the outset and I have kept them in their original poly sleeves and they are all fine.

I've got these coins too in original packaging, all in perfect nick. 

I would consider breaking them out of the packaging but it might affect their future value

I've wasted a serious amount of time taking Brits out of tubes and putting them in capsules. I hate with a passion removing the dust from the capsules, it gets tiring after 5 never mind 100. The Brits definitely benefit from being in capsules though, a lot of the ones I left in tubes have started to milk but the ones I immediately put in capsules have no milking or tarnishing. The ones I waited a while before putting in capsules have milked inside the capsules

On the plus side tarnishing can easily be removed with dips or baking soda and tinfoil so I would just leave them be. You can always treat the tarnishing in future if you want to

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

41 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

I've got these coins too in original packaging, all in perfect nick. 

I would consider breaking them out of the packaging but it might affect their future value

I've wasted a serious amount of time taking Brits out of tubes and putting them in capsules. I hate with a passion removing the dust from the capsules, it gets tiring after 5 never mind 100. The Brits definitely benefit from being in capsules though, a lot of the ones I left in tubes have started to milk but the ones I immediately put in capsules have no milking or tarnishing. The ones I waited a while before putting in capsules have milked inside the capsules

On the plus side tarnishing can easily be removed with dips or baking soda and tinfoil so I would just leave them be. You can always treat the tarnishing in future if you want to

I might in the future remove them from packaging. I don't mind the tarnishing when it's uniform, it just looks a little odd only one half tarnished. This method of dips in baking soda, would you recommend a YT video to see how this is done, please?

5 minutes ago, katmonkey said:

I might in the future remove them from packaging. I don't mind the tarnishing when it's uniform, it just looks a little odd only one half tarnished. This method of dips in baking soda, would you recommend a YT video to see how this is done, please?

Some people like tarnishing, I don't mind tarnish (patina) myself the thing that bugs me is milking. Here's our very own @SilverDragons:

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

29 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Some people like tarnishing, I don't mind tarnish (patina) myself the thing that bugs me is milking. Here's our very own @SilverDragons:

That's great, thanks! I think I'll just leave them for now & see how they tarnish with time. It does add character to coins in my opinion, my only concern is if I want to sell them in the future, the toning might put people off.

I did keep mine in the omp, but the first coin in the series developed some yellowish toning, so I removed from omp and placed in capsules, I believe they changed the type of packaging a few coins in.