• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2007 Diamond Wedding Anniversary £5 Gold Crown Help

Organics

Hi All,

I have been offered a commemorative, Royal Mint, 1947-2007, £5, Diamond Wedding Anniversary, gold crown. The person who's offered it to me says it's proof, but as it doesn't come with the box or certificate I don't know how to verify that. I try to stay away from proof coins because I buy more from investment purposes, rather than that of a collector. That's why I'd struggle to know what was proof and what isn't. Are they marked differently, or is just the finish?

So my question is, does anyone know if any of these were made as a regular bullion edition, and if so can anyone shed any light on mintages. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Thanks in Advance. 

Edited by Organics

31 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Submit to NGC and if you get a good grade some collectors tend to be okay without original boxing.

Thanks. I did think of that but I need to know if it’s a proof or not first. Do you know if they made regular, non proof versions of this coin? 

3 hours ago, Organics said:

Thanks. I did think of that but I need to know if it’s a proof or not first. Do you know if they made regular, non proof versions of this coin? 

Unfortunately I don't know... sorry... I've so far focused on sovereigns and overlooked the new £5 crowns. 

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

• Organics changed the title to 2007 DIAMOND WEDDING ANNIVERSARY £5 GOLD CROWN HELP
10 hours ago, BLOOMMAN101 said:

Thank you for the link. Having read it a few times I'm still a little confused 🤷‍♂️. The description at the top says there will be 3 different alloys, in 5 different variations. However the chart below showing the mintages, only shows 4 variations. Am I missing something or could the 5th variation be the gold bullion version? After reading this yourself, I would love your opinion on it.

I've personally looked and looked and looked, and can't seem to see a gold bullion version, which is starting to make me think that he's right and it is a proof.

Thanks again in advance.

🙏

1 hour ago, Organics said:

Thank you for the link. Having read it a few times I'm still a little confused 🤷‍♂️. The description at the top says there will be 3 different alloys, in 5 different variations. However the chart below showing the mintages, only shows 4 variations. Am I missing something or could the 5th variation be the gold bullion version? After reading this yourself, I would love your opinion on it.

I've personally looked and looked and looked, and can't seem to see a gold bullion version, which is starting to make me think that he's right and it is a proof.

Thanks again in advance.

🙏

I'm sorry mate but my opinion isn't really worth anything I'm a complete newbie. I take your point about "five different variations" but all I can hope is someone more knowledgeable will be along to answer your question

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

Thanks again in advance.

🙏

Hey there 👋🏽 I’m on this for you. 🙂

Firstly, the mention of 3 alloys and 5 variations is a supposition on that website.

Secondly, here are the official Royal Mint sales figures for the 2007 range of commemorative coins.

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/mintage-figures/2007-dated-uk-collector-coin-sales/

It looks like the following £5 variants were produced:

1. Base metal - BU (Brilliant Uncirculated)

2. Silver - Proof and Piedfort Proof

3. Gold - Proof

4. Platinum - Proof

I searched a fair bit but couldn’t find any other variants.

My personal thinking is that a gold BU version would be more likely than a gold Bullion version of the £5 crown. And since there isn’t mention of a gold BU version in their listing above, the gold Proof is most likely the only gold version that exists.

One suggestion I have is to contact Royal Mint here and see if they can give you this information.

https://www.royalmint.com/features/historic-notification-service/

Edited by westminstrel

26 minutes ago, BLOOMMAN101 said:

I'm sorry mate but my opinion isn't really worth anything I'm a complete newbie. I take your point about "five different variations" but all I can hope is someone more knowledgeable will be along to answer your question

Same here but thank you for taking the time 🙏

27 minutes ago, BLOOMMAN101 said:

24 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Firstly, the mention of 3 alloys and 5 variations is a supposition on that website.

Secondly, here are the official Royal Mint sales figures for the 2007 range of commemorative coins.

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/mintage-figures/2007-dated-uk-collector-coin-sales/

3. Gold - Proof

4. Platinum - Proof

My personal thinking is that a gold BU version would be more likely than a gold Bullion version of the £5 crown. And since there isn’t mention of a gold BU version in their listing above, the gold Proof is most likely the only gold version that exists.

One suggestion I have is to contact Royal Mint here and see if they can give you this information.

25 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

3. Gold - Proof

4. Platinum - Proof

Hi 👋 and thank you for taking the time to respond and research this 🙏. Having read your response, and that of @golddiggerdave, I think it’s probably a proof too. I’ll post some pictures later, after I’ve picked it up. Hopefully he’s still got it 🤦‍♂️

23 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It will be proof if it’s gold. Just make sure it’s not a gold plated silver proof coin……… anxiety level 11. 

Thank you 🙏. I’ll be going with my Sigma, scales and callipers to verify everything. I’ll post some pictures later as I’ll be messaging you about your grading services and if you think it’s worth it 👋

20 minutes ago, Organics said:

Thank you 🙏. I’ll be going with my Sigma, scales and callipers to verify everything. I’ll post some pictures later as I’ll be messaging you about your grading services and if you think it’s worth it 👋

Mate please be careful with proof coins, the second you start handling it especially with callipers you will make it melt value. 

22 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Mate please be careful with proof coins, the second you start handling it especially with callipers you will make it melt value. 

😳😳😳. Now I know why I’ve always stayed away from proof coins. I was planning on using cotton gloves and just testing the diameter with the callipers. How else can I test it for being gold plated silver? 🤔. I know you do conservation 🙏

3 hours ago, Organics said:

😳😳😳. Now I know why I’ve always stayed away from proof coins. I was planning on using cotton gloves and just testing the diameter with the callipers. How else can I test it for being gold plated silver? 🤔. I know you do conservation 🙏

Gold plated silver will be soooooo much lighter than gold

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Pictures as promised. All checks out but looks like I’ll be needing Dave’s help. From my untrained eye, it looks like it’s been handled in the past, without proper care. Hopefully Dave’s conservation skills can get it a good grade. 

71C290C5-46A8-4230-AF7E-5A7172B86ACD.jpeg

7F935849-7B5E-41F0-9A35-769C5542B6EA.jpeg

17 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Gold plated silver will be soooooo much lighter than gold

Pictures added 🙏

4 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Pictures added 🙏

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

OMG imagine that. *faints*

Pictures added 🙏

5 hours ago, BLOOMMAN101 said:

Pictures added 🙏

40 minutes ago, Organics said:

Pictures as promised. All checks out but looks like I’ll be needing Dave’s help. From my untrained eye, it looks like it’s been handled in the past, without proper care. Hopefully Dave’s conservation skills can get it a good grade. 

Pictures added 🙏

Definitely a proof, but also not in FDC condition at all. Hope it is priced accordingly. 

56 minutes ago, Organics said:

Pictures added 🙏

Not necessarily handled, but could have been improperly stored. You need to make sure there're no scratches and hairlines, and hopefully the foggy bits are chemical not physical. If it's some hand oil or oxydation reservation removes it. However, if the coin was stored in PVC the damage could be permanent. I don't know Dave's or NGC's secret remedies, but as far as I know PVC is one thing that permanently destroys gold, and nothing saves it.

Pictures added 🙏

It is definitely gold proof, bullion were not made.

See on Numista page: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces125435.html.