• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Geiger bar, is the capsule acceptable?

PSB

They could make the valid argument that you bought an investment silver bar and the packaging is incidental...

It would all depend on how it was advertised. I did notice that Atkinsons emphasise that is is bullion quality on their site. 🙄 When dealers do this it is generally to absolve them of any responsibility as to the condition of the item.

'You are entitled to return any product that you are dissatisfied with to us, however we will not be responsible for any postal charges. If we find that the goods you have returned are of satisfactory quality the return of the goods to yourself will be subject to a return postal charge'

Looking at the terms above it looks like you would have to pay to return the bar and, potentially, they could send it straight back and charge you for the privilege. Due to those absurd conditions i would probably just keep it... 

Thanks all. The item was described as new. After contacting them the said the value is in the silver itself and a slight scuff to the packaging will not affect any future sale of the item. Bit disappointing. 
This is actually the second one they sent as I returned the first. The first one the scuff was on the left hand side of the capsule, there was a big ding/chip on the bar itself and the paper backing didn’t look right. 
The one I have now looks great barring the slight scuff at the bottom. 

Edited by PSB
Forgot to add something.

4 hours ago, PSB said:

Thanks all. The item was described as new. After contacting them the said the value is in the silver itself and a slight scuff to the packaging will not affect any future sale of the item. Bit disappointing. 
This is actually the second one they sent as I returned the first. The first one the scuff was on the left hand side of the capsule, there was a big ding/chip on the bar itself and the paper backing didn’t look right. 
The one I have now looks great barring the slight scuff at the bottom. 

So they both had a scuff on the case? Are you sure that's not normal then? 

I have received pre-encapsulated coins before with cracks in the capsule. I've never considered returning them because i was buying the coin and i knew the dealer(s) would consider the capsule as merely packaging.

The bottom line is - was a premium charged for the packaging ? Is the packaging considered to be an integral part of the sale ? - most dealers would say not when selling precious metals and fall back on the old trope that what you are purchasing is an amount of precious metal. The same goes for damaged 'bullion'....

The reality is that, in a lot of cases, the packaging will make a difference at the time of re-sale, but not one you could easily quantify. It would be interesting to find a dealer that sold both OMP packaged and unpackaged items and compare the premiums. I also noticed that the same site has a disclaimer that milk-spotted items are normal and this will not affect the value of the item - on planet b*llshit maybe.  

If they said "the value is in the silver itself and a slight scuff to the packaging will not affect any future sale of the item", then that's disingenuous if they accepted your first return.

However, I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with your packaging. I've just looked at my Geiger capsules and they all have a similar mark along one edge (to varying degrees). It's where the capsules are broken off from the injection moulding sprues.