• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Britannias

Oystonousted

Hello all

After quite a lot of reading posts and watching YouTube videos I would like to know more about buying proof Britannia coins.

I am not really interested in stacking gold or silver, I would much prefer to buy a selection of proof coins since they began 30 years ago.

Mintages are a lot lower than sovereigns, some single proofs as low as 700! Chards prices for some of these seems very reasonable.

Please can someone recommend a certain design or year which is worth looking at? Are coins from 2013 onwards less interesting for buyers as an investment or is that irrelevant?

Any advice is welcome thank you very much

good Choice,  i currently collect alternative design sovereigns and 1/4 Oz gold Britannia as i find them more interesting than the run of the mill designs.

chards and its sister websites have loads of information regarding brits and sovs including  which years used different designs which i have found useful

I may well try to get the alternative design proofs at some point too  as some alternate designs  were proof only.

lower mintage doesn't always relate  to bother price its all to di with demand

14 minutes ago, 4Nines7Hills said:

good Choice,  i currently collect alternative design sovereigns and 1/4 Oz gold Britannia as i find them more interesting than the run of the mill designs.

chards and its sister websites have loads of information regarding brits and sovs including  which years used different designs which i have found useful

I may well try to get the alternative design proofs at some point too  as some alternate designs  were proof only.

lower mintage doesn't always relate  to bother price its all to di with demand

do they issue 1/4 gold individually or some of them you have to get them from sets?

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

1 hour ago, Oystonout said:

Mintages are a lot lower than sovereigns, some single proofs as low as 700! Chards prices for some of these seems very reasonable.

Don't fall into the mintage trap :ph34r:

Mintage doesn't dictate premium on its own, it's mintage + demand

100 is a high mintage if no one wants one

15,000 is a low mintage if 50,000 people want one

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I think Chard price proof Britannias very fairly. They are worth buying particularly the special years. I have bought and sold many of them and have never had a problem selling at much higher than spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on your definition of special  do you mean low mintage or different design. These are the years where there was a special design in both the bu and proof Britannias.

There are a couple of extras years where just the proof  coin only had a different design.

1997 chariot
2001 lion
2003 helmet
2007 seated
2008 waves
2009 chariot
2010 modern
2011 flag

You are most welcome I'm currently working my was through creating a BU set of  1/4 oz  Britannia alternative designs. I particularly  need a 2011 flag one.

Having never seen a gold Britannia up close would my following description be accurate.

BU coin good quality but not as good as PU coin which is not as good as a Proof coin.

BU coin being the cheapest obviously but less chance for greater return should you sell 10/15 yrs down the line.?

Please feel free to correct me thank you 

more or 

Regular BU coins are struck once, mostly on  automated conveyor belts. Proof coins, on the other human handled and are struck  by the press several times.

BU  are very nice coins, proof coins can have more detail of the design showing  and  tend to have a more mirror like finish where as the BU will have a textured base.

Proof coins are likely to go up in value more than BU bit not always  due to the better finish lower mintage and higher initial price

I don't own any proofs so someone like numistacker  ( other people on here also collect them) maybe better person to ask

7 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Never heard the term PU before. The RM tend to produce bullion, BU and proof coins.

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/coin-collecting/striking-standards

Are you from Blackpool or just a football supporter? Handy for Chards if you are:)

Hi there 

I am from Blackpool and yes I am a Blackpool supporter but as you can tell from my username not a big fan of the owners!

Whats funny is that until 2 weeks ago I had never heard of Chards and I certainly wasn't aware it was in Blackpool - proper newbie eh!

Anyway I popped in the other day to check the place out - also heard they have been voted the best bullion dealer for 2017 - now 3 years running

PS Seen a silver krugerrand coin and bar for sale and coin is advertised as PU premium uncirculated 

3 hours ago, Oystonout said:

PS Seen a silver krugerrand coin and bar for sale and coin is advertised as PU premium uncirculated 

Coincidence that, first ever silver krug produced and they think up a new term PU. They're really hyping it up.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Hi there 
What is a special year please?
PS Numistacker I ended up on this forum as a result of watching your YouTube channel videos. You seem to have a pretty good following
cheers

I hope you enjoy it here it's a good bunch of people
more or 
Regular BU coins are struck once, mostly on  automated conveyor belts. Proof coins, on the other human handled and are struck  by the press several times.
BU  are very nice coins, proof coins can have more detail of the design showing  and  tend to have a more mirror like finish where as the BU will have a textured base.
Proof coins are likely to go up in value more than BU bit not always  due to the better finish lower mintage and higher initial price
I don't own any proofs so someone like numistacker  ( other people on here also collect them) maybe better person to ask

I like proofs and think often the extra care and work that goes into them is under valued?

Archived