• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any pre 1997 stackers here?

Bigmarc

Hello.

I was reading an article about the evolution of online shopping and started thinking how did early stackers get the early Britannia's and what they paid for it? Also what was stacked before hand. 

Amazon launched in 1995 and PayPal in 1998, so the launch of the Britannia was in the early days of the internet so the options must have been limited. 

I've tried googling and searching through old papers and can't find an answer. 

I didn't start until 2005 and that was over the counter in Germany.

Mail order was still a thing. 

There was the Royal Mint coin club too... A few people have referenced it in topics and if I remember correctly a member is collecting the issues but forget who it was. Here's an example 

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/76005-bu-brilliant-uncirculed-sovereign/?do=findComment&comment=858006

I wasn't a stacker in the 90s, merely a collector, but Britannias were readily available through mail order from the RM - which is how I purchased my 1997 BU set in late 1996. There were also coin shops here and there, but I purchased most of my numismatic material from dealers who would post monthly lists out to clients. In fact R. Ingram of Southampton still sends me quarterly lists through the post, even though I purchase material from them using the website. It's simply that I was one of their customers from mail order days.

Edited by SidS

Most of my big purchases where made at local numismatic club auctions. Bulk silver coins, including Britannias, modern Thalers etc were considered to be for the plebs and so i often got some bargains.  If i recall, around 20 years ago, silver Brits often sold for around £4 - less if in bulk. Sadly the local numismatic club ceased the auctions around 10 tears ago. 

Prior to that most of my purchases were from a local dealer - Dorset Coin company.

51 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

If i recall, around 20 years ago, silver Brits often sold for around £4

Can you remember if that includes vat and premium? Trying to figure out what the premium was like back then when there was less demand. 

One of the regular shop dealers I use started trading in the early 2000's. I recall him telling me that when he first opened, his buy price for 1 0z .999 coins was approx. £4 and his selling price was £8 (double spot at the time).

These days his spread on generic bullion coins tends to be approx. £5, so his margin has significantly decreased, although he sells far more these days.

When I started stacking approx. 15 years ago, most of my purchases were from Sarnia Silver and I have receipts of libertads for around the £15-16 mark. Wish i could still pick them up for that price now.

4 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Can you remember if that includes vat and premium? Trying to figure out what the premium was like back then when there was less demand. 

No Vat or premium - this was from  a local numismatic auction that used to have annual sales. There was also no buyers premium !

And, as a random thought, i recall writing unguaranteed cheques on occasion if i had bid on too much and couldn't cover the cost in cash. Simpler times.

Another random memory was once bidding a tenner for a lot of 4 x Maria Theresa restrike thalers and winning. The auctioneer then asked if i wanted the other 16 identical lots for the same price. I happily accepted. I loved jingling those coins like a modern day Scrooge.

From a collectors standpoint i also used to order direct from the RM for new releases but cannot recall what i paid. I do remember though that the .958 Brits always arrived in BU condition 🤨 and i would give them to people as random gifts....

Edited by TeaTime
Digressions...