• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

BU wedge tailed eagle coin

ChrisSilver

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested in seeing what the prices come out at for the BU

Yeah, I don't mind cracking the Gem BU out of the slabs if they are a reasonable price.

As far as I know, govmint has exclusive distribution for these worldwide (at least all the ones that are slabbed and hand-signed by Mercanti), and Ainslie Bullion has distribution for Australia. Several months ago, Govmint had ungraded/unslabbed coins for purchase, but this was not available for public. I know because I was able to buy the raw ones directly from the sales manager. You can't order it yourself, and it was not shown on the website. The raw ones were $30, and was not any cheaper than slabbed/signed GEM ones currently offered.

I really hope other dealers will start carrying these, otherwise we won't see any price drops below $30. And if other dealers were to carry these, they will not be any cheaper than kookaburras, seeing how the mintage and lower and the finish is the same.

These "bullion" eagles are not frosted all around like the bullion ASE's, but rather they are a reverse proof like the kookaburras. The outer ring is a proof finish, inside background is frosted, and the eagle is a proof finish. The obverse is also EXACTLY the same as the kooks. Unlike the Saltwater crocs that are true bullion (and quality reflect this), these were minted to have the same type of finish and quality as the kooks, so I don't expect premiums to be any lower than kooks. I'll take a few pics to show some differences between these bullion eagles vs proof eagles vs crocs, and another pic to show how similar they are to modern kooks.

• Founder & Administrator

I'll take a few pics to show some differences between these bullion eagles vs proof eagles vs crocs, and another pic to show how similar they are to modern kooks.

Pics would be awesome, comparing the bullion wedge tailed eagle to the proof.

Sounds like we might have to arrange some sort of group buy, if someone in the UK was willing to be the organiser on this side. Unless you were to send them out to each person directly, what is the shipping cost for the cheapest method to ship a single slabbed coin?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

It looks like that the BU slabbed from GovMint will land at around £25 for 16 pcs.  That's assuming £50 delivery, 20% VAT, £12 customs handling with an exhcnage rate of 1.65.

Ordering is via telephone but I'm not sure if they'll take payment over the phone via credit card or create an invoice for bank transfer.  If the latter, they should just let us checkout rather than faff about calling.

Just FYI 

For international orders Govmint.com have disabled online checkout; (been like this for as long as I have gone on their page.) You need to ring their sales line 001-800-946-6526.) 

I rang today and due to the fact that I was paying by a UK credit card but for delivery in the USA. They confirmed that they will ship these to the UK and on a UK credit card. I asked about delivery cost, and they confirmed $36 single coin, Seven for $42, and ten for $49. Comes via USPS.

Confirmed ( for at least the coins that I ordered for shipping to the US) that they will be dispatched on the 3rd.

Also if anyone is interested the 5oz is due back in stock early Sept 

Good to know you can pay over the phone with credit card. Delivery should be $50 for upto $500 order.

Wasn't the 5oz only in high relief form with a limited mintage?

'Think' this was the high relief - The customer rep' that I was dealing with was a born salesman and was rattling though the specials that they had and which were due to arrive  :lol: . As always they are very knowledgeable, but after a while I starting to switch off. 

One other gem that he offered was the fact they had signed a distribution deal for all subsequent coins in the series and that outside Oz they had negotiated sole source rights. So no German dealers????

Reference the delivery cost - Not certain about the sliding scale up to a value of $500. He did not state this to me

Must be 2015 date.

They could sell to German dealers if they wanted but if they've only been allocated 50k, they'd prob want to keep it to themselves.

Now to get some money together for an order and see what other goodies they have.

Now been released on Ainslie Bullion at $31AUD.

Have spoken to them about a nominal order of 5, but $56AUD shipping rate taking the 5 order to £23.27 per coin which is £27.93 if they get hit with VAT plus £8 handling charge.

£29.53 per coin.

I'll pass.

Stacker since 2013

https://www.ainsliebullion.com.au/BuyBullion.aspx

BU wedge-tailed eagle are available from a local dealer, 5 minutes away from me.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in this coin as I can source them direct and ship them over.

Normally if I source an item I would place a 10% mark up on the source price.  As the dealer is so close I am willing to only place a 5% mark up for this particular coin.

Have a look at their other items on offer as I am willing to extend this offer to any item available from their website.

I will place this on my site sponsor thread too.

Apparently mintage is only 50,000. So if true this coin will be a wise investment.

Source on mintage figure, indirectly from: ainsliebullion

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Yea there is also confusion as someone else was told by Perth mint that the mintage is 50,000 allocated to govmint and Perth Mint has the right to produce another 250,000 for themselves.

Maybe govmint is just showing mintage in the graded ones as unlimited as it doesn't know yet how many will be graded.

Maybe the mintage is only 50,000. Maybe it is more.

Also this apparently will be a continuing series with the same design? In which case mintage is a bit irrelevant in my eyes. Anyhow these are currently fairly priced if you source through someone like Strenue and I suspect them to go quickly.

Discounts / Offers

Fully insured.... 1 would be $50AUD, 10 would be $80 AUD and 20 would be $110 AUD

Is this the quote you got from Ainslie? They quoted me $200 for a few rolls so there seems to be a big mark up.

From the US to UK, shipping 40 coins is only $37 USD uninsured, and insured is $66.

That is correct. It does seem quite high

Strenue is offering much cheaper postage

Here is an example order for those interested in this coin (or other Ainslie coins) and wondering how to calculate the total order cost:

Per coin price is currently AU$31.00 (£17.10) from dealer

Add 5% mark up

So per coin price becomes AU$32.55 (£18.00)

For a 5 coin order:

AU$32.55 (£18.00) x 5 = AU$162.75 (£90.00)

Postage for 5 coins  = £10.00

TOTAL COST = £100.00 (so that works out to £20.00 per coin delivered)

http://thesilverforum.com/topic/525-uk-postage-and-payment-optionscosts/

Thanks for the video iluvbeanz, the bullion coin looks good, but no where as near as the proof. That proof is stunning and I am glad I will have all 3 coins as well :)

Discounts / Offers

I personally really liked how the bullion version came out. The quality is on par with the proof, the only difference is that the bullion is a "reverse proof". Although, mintage is considerably lower on the proof. Also, I'm actually surprised that the high relief version has double the mintage as the proof, usually it's the other way around.

I personally really liked how the bullion version came out. The quality is on par with the proof, the only difference is that the bullion is a "reverse proof". Although, mintage is considerably lower on the proof. Also, I'm actually surprised that the high relief version has double the mintage as the proof, usually it's the other way around.

The details in the eagle itself don't seem as good as of that of the proof. But maybe that's just the video? The proof seemed to look a lot more crisp and detailed.

Discounts / Offers

The details in the eagle itself don't seem as good as of that of the proof. But maybe that's just the video? The proof seemed to look a lot more crisp and detailed.

It might be the video and the lighting. I looked at it again with a 10x magnification loupe, the details and sharpness of the bullion and proof are exactly the same. The reason why the eagle on the bullion version might not look as crisp is because it's has a shiny finish. This means that a lot of the light is reflected off the surface, whereas the proof eagle has a matte finish where the light is diffused and retained on the surface more. There's better lighting contrast when the surface isn't so shiny.

Archived