• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

COA and Mintage Numbers

Hi! Someone I know has a British, 1 ounce gold proof lunar year of the monkey coin. He showed it me today and it's in mint condition from box to coin but has one special feature; it is #01 on the COA. I don't have a number 1 of anything so I'm really tempted as a future investment even though he's asking for over double the gold value.

I think I'm going to go for it but first thought it'd be worth asking you guys if you think it's worth that kind of premium for the first coin of its type. It seems to be a sought-after coin anyhow (judging from what it's selling for on some dealer's websites) and there were only 888 minted as far as I'm aware:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/royal-mint-proof-collections/proof-royal-mint-lunar-series/2016-Royal-Mint-1oz-Year-of-the-Monkey-Proof-Gold-Coin-Boxed/

Would you say yay or nay?

Cheers! 

20 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

Hi! Someone I know has a British, 1 ounce gold proof lunar year of the monkey coin. He showed it me today and it's in mint condition from box to coin but has one special feature; it is #01 on the COA. I don't have a number 1 of anything so I'm really tempted as a future investment even though he's asking for over double the gold value.

I think I'm going to go for it but first thought it'd be worth asking you guys if you think it's worth that kind of premium for the first coin of its type. It seems to be a sought-after coin anyhow (judging from what it's selling for on some dealer's websites) and there were only 888 minted as far as I'm aware:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/royal-mint-proof-collections/proof-royal-mint-lunar-series/2016-Royal-Mint-1oz-Year-of-the-Monkey-Proof-Gold-Coin-Boxed/

Would you say yay or nay?

Cheers! 

How much is he asking?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

How much is he asking?

£3,500 but I felt I could get it for less. He probably just looked at that BBP link.

I've only bought a couple of proofs in the past and honestly haven't got a clue what value it really adds, especially with low mintage British coins. Probably best I stick to bullion!

Edited by SlowFrog

3 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

£3,500 but I felt I could get it for less. He probably just looked at that BBP link.

Sweet jeezus on a cardboard bicycle, that's a PF70 quintuple memorial sovereign from arshimo and £500 change.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

No, but I can assure you.. coa 01 means very little when attached to a dodgy looking monkey lol.

I'm gonna print out this thread to show it to him followed by a passionate declaration that he can shove it right up his ringpiece for trying to take my pants down with his investment sweet talk.

Just now, SlowFrog said:

I'm gonna print out this thread to show it to him followed by a passionate declaration that he can shove it right up his ringpiece for trying to take my pants down with his investment sweet talk.

Tell him to sell it to London zoo 😆 🤣 

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Tell him to sell it to London zoo 😆 🤣 

I briefly had visions of waiting until 2028 (year of the monkey) and then selling it at Sotheby's to a billionaire Chinese investor that only wants his cardboard coa with #1 on there. Silver price will clearly have made it to the moon by that point so it was all looking like an early retirement for me until you ruthlessly (but thankfully) smashed by dreams.

2 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

I briefly had visions of waiting until 2028 (year of the monkey) and then selling it at Sotheby's to a billionaire Chinese investor that only wants his cardboard coa with #1 on there. Silver price will clearly have made it to the moon by that point so it was all looking like an early retirement for me until you ruthlessly (but thankfully) smashed by dreams.

I think the "888" cert would be worth having as this an auspicious number in Chinese numerology - it signifies triple fortune.

It would be a nice bonus to get a No.1 from directly from the mint, but I think the certs are just allocated randomly to the coins so it doesn't really mean it was the first coin minted.

Edited by Zhorro

The best thing……you asked the members. Take a bow.👍

#cough #cough I have some very nice PF70s on a sales listing if you want go down that route.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024