• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Disappointed 😞

Today I received my first full sovereign. 

The IOM 1st strike, proof KC coronation coin. I was very excited about receiving the coin.

However.... on inspection of the (in my opinion) stunning coin I noticed right by the nose of KCs detailed sagging face was 3 little scratches. :(

Has any of you kind people had similar issues or could anybody advise me of the returns procedure with regards to a limited edition coin? I have tried to call the dealer, typically, they are not open on a Saturday.

So was a little disappointed with that. 2nd However.... I did also receive some parcels from some members, which are all perfect. :D

Forgive me if I'm wrong, you may already be aware, but I'm assuming there's a high premium on this coin that will probably be lost on the secondary market if/when you come to sell it. British Isles coins tend to be overpriced and only worth spot when it comes to sell. The defects may be a good excuse to ask for a refund, which you are entitled to anyway if it is within the relevant timeframe.

On the other hand, if you don't mind paying a high premium & you don't mind it depreciating, then you could just return it for a replacement.

Just now, SilverJacks said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, you may already be aware, but I'm assuming there's a high premium on this coin that will probably be lost on the secondary market if/when you come to sell it. British Isles coins tend to be overpriced and only worth spot when it comes to sell. The defects may be a good excuse to ask for a refund, which you are entitled to anyway if it is within the relevant timeframe.

On the other hand, if you don't mind paying a high premium & you don't mind it depreciating, then you could just return it for a replacement.

I appreciate the advice. That is definitely food for thought. 

Really not impressed that they would let in out in that state in the first place. The quality control of said company must be poor as I saw it as soon as I flipped the coin over.

4 hours ago, Spyder said:

How about a photo, so we can all see what you find as a disappointment.

@SpyderHostile. I did apologise regarding your post the other day.  I was genuinely confused and learnt alot from what may have seemed a stupid question to many.

However as you asked.

20230604_204934.jpg

20230604_204926.jpg

20230604_204904.jpg

@REILsilver I was not being hostile. I'm sorry if it came across like that and to be honest I had forgotten that it was you. I was curious as were others to see this coin. Thank you for putting up the photo.  If the scratch is on your coin and not the capsule, then 100% send it back and get a full refund as been suggested by one other member or a replacement if you like the coin.  

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, REILsilver said:

@SpyderHostile. I did apologise regarding your post the other day.  I was genuinely confused and learnt alot from what may have seemed a stupid question to many.

However as you asked.

20230604_204934.jpg

20230604_204926.jpg

20230604_204904.jpg

Put on a pair of gloves, open capsule carefully, try not to breathe or sneeze on coin. Once certain it's on coin, send back for refund or replacement.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

@REILsilver I was not being hostile. I'm sorry if it came across like that and to be honest I had forgotten that it was you. I was curious as were others to see this coin. Thank you for putting up the photo.  If the scratch is on your coin and not the capsule, then 100% send it back and get a full refund as been suggested by one other member or a replacement if you like the coin.  

No problem, I have been meaning to put up pictures but work has been crazy and after inspection I packed it back up safe. I can't feel scratches on the capsule. It is a really nice coin, but have lost faith in a company that would let a so called prestigious coin out in such a condition. 

56 minutes ago, James32 said:

Put on a pair of gloves, open capsule carefully, try not to breathe or sneeze on coin. Once certain it's on coin, send back for refund or replacement.

Don't know if I dare open it 😬

I think I will just return it.

5 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

Tried to get a better one of the scratch. You can see judder marks. Could these be this be a factory error?

20230604_235324.jpg

Factory damage rather than error tbh.

It's going back and you have absolutely nothing to loose, open the capsule and get a better look. Might aswell get the practice of dealing with proofs in now when there's no risk.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Reject it. The word ‘Proof’ means the highest quality and additional time making the coin. This is bullion quality. 
No brainier.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

Just now, James32 said:

It's going back and you have absolutely nothing to loose, open the capsule and get a better look. Might aswell get the practice of dealing with proofs in now when there's no risk.

That's a good way to look at it. It does say 30 day money back guarantee, and it's better to be sure than look like an even bigger plonker when it turns out to be on the capsule. 

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Factory damage rather than error tbh

Is there a difference?

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

I suppose also I'm well with in my rights to open and inspect. Was thinking somehow this would degrade the coin further. Or harm my ability to return the coin.

In a normal Mint Proof-Yes. It’s not good and the other members agree.

Can I ask how much you paid as it’s going back? I am sure some good members could sell you something with the quality you are looking for.👍

6 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

I did think being a first strike and a proof there would be no questioning it's perfection 🤷🏼

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

That capsule is so big that there is very little chance of you even touching the coin. If you are worried about breathing on it, just use one of those face masks that people had to wear in 2020. Like you said, you need to be 100% sure that the scratches are on the coin. With proof, I usually wear surgical type gloves.

Edited by Spyder

Just now, Spyder said:

That capsule is so big that there is very little chance of you even touching the coin. If you are worried about breathing on it, just use one of those face masks that people had to wear in 2020. Like you said, you need to be 1005 sure that the scratches are on the coin. With proof, I usually wear surgical type gloves.

Sorry fella , I thought the last picture was the cap off🤪

-Royal Mint 2024

It wasn't cheap. 995 I think it was going to be total, payments over 10 months. The idea this would allow me to get this very limited, limited addition and still have a freeing my budget over the next couple of months.

If you are nervous, A first step is to just twist the lid of the capsule without opening it.  If the marks move, then they are obviously on the capsule instead of the coin.

From the photos, those scratches look like marks on the inside surface of the capsule.  You see there are two parallel lines, where they reflect off the coin.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

3 minutes ago, Spyder said:

That capsule is so big that there is very little chance of you even touching the coin. If you are worried about breathing on it, just use one of those face masks that people had to wear in 2020. Like you said, you need to be 100% sure that the scratches are on the coin. With proof, I usually wear surgical type gloves.

Might have to see if I can dig out the Covid supply's 🙈

Just now, REILsilver said:

It wasn't cheap. 995 I think it was going to be total, payments over 10 months. The idea this would allow me to get this very limited, limited addition and still have a freeing my budget over the next couple of months.

Jeez, wouldn’t be worth half as soon as you received it.

My opinion. To celebrate the King’s Coronation I would buy a Proof 1/4oz Coronation coin from RM. They are floating around £800-£850. Solid coin,excellent design and decent quality.

-Royal Mint 2024

I would definitely send it back just because of the cost and you will never ever get that premium back.  Maybe a member who has the quarter as has been suggested by Nick might allow you to pay in installments. In the end you would have a much better future proof coin.  

Update..... i have been trying to examine the coin breaking bad style, marigolds and all. The obvious is stuck in the capsule side and there isnt any moving it, without prying or picking. 😔

Thanks guys, I think I am finally seeing sense and will just send it back. As someone suggested the other day this could be a liability and I think he/she was right. I will send it back.