• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Is is worth getting 1/10 oz Britannia Gold Proof Graded?

Hello

I have noticed that for different years a PF70 Gold 1/10oz Britannia can be anything from £240 to £350.  Now is the £240 cheap and the £350 expensive.  Others have been in between. I am comparing all by the same grading company NGC.  The Britannia in question are all one year of different designs. 

Reason I am asking is, does it really make any sense to grade a 1/10oz Proof Britannia if is it will only be worth £240?

Be interested to see what others think.

Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

First of all it's all about understanding you reasons and goals for grading a coin.   Is grading a coin an instant way to add value?   No not always.   It  depends on the coin and the market demand for the coin.......and you always have  to go into grading a coin with the understanding you may not get the result you want.  

I've graded/submitted 100's of  coins this year from modern proof and some highly rare numismatic gems so, I'm happy to answer any questions you my have.   

I would only buy britannia proofs if you can get them very close to what they are being sold for in bullion. I would not grade them unless they are for your personal collection and you just want them in slabs.

You can always get them graded at a later date if you have built up a nice collection and they become more popular to collectors in the future. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g10pnd/

Also worth looking at the NGC population report  to get a feel for the number only 32 PF70UC of the 2011 1/0 proof Britannias so relatively low population compared to other years. Only 39 coins in the total population. 

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 18.33.21.png

From that list, that coin seems a bargain.

When you compare it as a percentage of submitted coins of 39, and 32 getting perfect scores, that is almost 80% of all that year got perfect score.

@Spyder new gold proof coins always grade well, it’s the iffy secondary market where they have been fingered is where most of the issues are.   If you look at the memorial sovereigns and proof sovereigns as a whole the percentage of a 70 is very high.  

I’ve QC’d 100’s of proof sovereigns this week and only a very tiny amount would grade less than 70 imo. 

22 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Spyder new gold proof coins always grade well, it’s the iffy secondary market where they have been fingered is where most of the issues are.   If you look at the memorial sovereigns and proof sovereigns as a whole the percentage of a 70 is very high.  

I’ve QC’d 100’s of proof sovereigns this week and only a very tiny amount would grade less than 70 imo. 

Totally agree. A brand new coin goes from Mint almost straight to grading. To get 30+ year old coin to PF70 is some achievement. Even if never handled copper spots and other things can develope over time.

I notice on that list very few 1988 1oz proof Britannia have been graded. Maybe that is the one I should submit with my 79 Sov

3 hours ago, goldhunter said:

When it comes to grading I would only grade a coin if the cost of grading does not exceeds 10% of the coins raw value.

So with regard to 1/10 proof Brits only the 2014 Britannia would meet my conditions.

Now why is 2014 worth so much. Makes no sense when there are 123 with a perfect grade and only 32 for the 2011.  

It is like a scene from the the The Rebel starring Tony Hancock. One painter is acclaimed a master, while another might as well go paint a shed. 

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

Now why is 2014 worth so much. Makes no sense when there are 123 with a perfect grade and only 32 for the 2011.  

It is like a scene from the the The Rebel starring Tony Hancock. One painter is acclaimed a master, while another might as well go paint a shed. 

Because sex sells. That arse.

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

Supply and demand. You can have a coin where there is only 1 with a 70 but if nobody wants to buy it then its not worth more vs a coin that's got 200 in a 70 with 1000 buyers. If a specific year has a nice design and does well it will prompt more people to send their coins in for grading.

• 4 weeks later...