• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannias or maple leafs?

JRR

Got an option of a tube of Charles Brits or 2022 maples. Just wondered what people’s thoughts are on if there’s a better choice or if both are just a much of a muchness? Wondered if it being Charles first Brit made a difference, but then I imagine there will be bazillions of them. 🤔 

Maples are arguably the best bullion coins on the market

The Britannias are also excellent with the security features, design and generally lower price

For UK buyers it's best to heavily stack legal tender. That means mostly Britannias and fewer foreign coins, you want to leave room for more foreign CGT-attracting coins in future too.

The CGT threshold was reduced to £6000 this year and is going to £3000 in 2024/25. You'd be surprised how quickly you can reach those thresholds. I'm already over and I'm trying to act with decorum but the Perth Mint/RAM and other foreign coins keep calling. I'm mostly stacked with 2023 QEIIs - the best type

If those Maples are the same price as the 2023 KCIIIs then I would choose Maples every time if I had room for them. 

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

9 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Maples are arguably the best bullion coins on the market

The Britannias are also excellent with the security features, design and generally lower price

For UK buyers it's best to heavily stack legal tender. That means mostly Britannias and fewer foreign coins, you want to leave room for more foreign CGT-attracting coins in future too.

The CGT threshold was reduced to £6000 this year and is going to £3000 in 2024/25. You'd be surprised how quickly you can reach those thresholds. I'm already over and I'm trying to act with decorum but the Perth Mint/RAM and other foreign coins keep calling. I'm mostly stacked with 2023 QEIIs - the best type

If those Maples are the same price as the 2023 KCIIIs then I would choose Maples every time if I had room for them. 

Hey! thank you for taking the time to reply, I do appreciate it. Yeah, there’s not much in price difference from the dealer offering. Not enough for me to worry about choosing the cheaper option at least. I may take your advice/thoughts and go for the Maples. 

Out of interest, why would you suggest the QEII 2023 Britannias are the best type? Last of her reign or just down to security features. 

Just now, JRR said:

Hey! thank you for taking the time to reply, I do appreciate it. Yeah, there’s not much in price difference from the dealer offering. Not enough for me to worry about choosing the cheaper option at least. I may take your advice/thoughts and go for the Maples. 

Out of interest, why would you suggest the QEII 2023 Britannias are the best type? Last of her reign or just down to security features. 

The 2023 Type I Britannias (QEII) are attracting a premium over Type II (KCIII) all over the world. Sometimes it's as much as 10% difference. The 2023 QEIIs are the last ever with QEII and she is the person with her face on the most coins in all of human history (>1 billion coins have QEII).

The 2023 QEIIs are a partial run not a full year's mintage, so there are less of them than the 2022 QEIIs or 2023 KCIIIs. Most people still love the Queen and have a less favourable view on KCIII. Fundamentally there is zero difference between a 2023 QEII and 2023 KCIII, it's just mini-numismatic sentiment

4 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

The 2023 Type I Britannias (QEII) are attracting a premium over Type II (KCIII) all over the world. Sometimes it's as much as 10% difference. The 2023 QEIIs are the last ever with QEII and she is the person with her face on the most coins in all of human history (>1 billion coins have QEII).

The 2023 QEIIs are a partial run not a full year's mintage, so there are less of them than the 2022 QEIIs or 2023 KCIIIs. Most people still love the Queen and have a less favourable view on KCIII. Fundamentally there is zero difference between a 2023 QEII and 2023 KCIII, it's just mini-numismatic sentiment

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you again. 

Brits pre- 2013 are definitely worth collecting.
From 2013 - only if you are able to buy at decent prices.
QC from the RM after they switched to fine silver Brits ( and other silver coins ) went down the toilet.
This doesn't matter if all you are interested in is quantity of bullion silver.
Maples and similar Canadian coins were a basic coin and often at great prices, but suffered from the dreaded milk spotting and milk staining.
The newer Maples are of superb quality and don't spot so compared to the recent Britannias would be my choice.
RM coins seem also to suffer from rub marks, scuffs and reeded dings suggesting they fly off the production line into hoppers, colliding with each other as if they were manufactured like washers. Fine silver is relatively soft so dropping the edge of one coin on to a flat coin is going to damage the surface and if you slide coins over each other the highest points are going to get scuffed.
I wouldn't get too attached to KCIII being the first in 2023 or QEII being the last as the bullion mintages are high.
You could be lucky getting a tube of lovely RM coins but be warned they are prone to spotting as were the earlier Maples.

15 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Brits for me for stacking over Maples... CGT etc

As for Maples being the best bullion in the world?

HMMMM????

ASE would probably beat these hands down...

Maples (post-2018) have Mintshield tech that delays milk spotting. No other coin has this tech or remains in as good condition long-term as a Maple. Maples are arguably the highest quality mass-produced bullion coins. Looks are subjective but I like Britannias more than Eagles. Objectively the ASE is the worst value gov minted bullion on the planet. 

47 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Maples (post-2018) have Mintshield tech that delays milk spotting. No other coin has this tech or remains in as good condition long-term as a Maple. Maples are arguably the highest quality mass-produced bullion coins. Looks are subjective but I like Britannias more than Eagles. Objectively the ASE is the worst value gov minted bullion on the planet. 

we wernt talking abpout value, you were talking about what was the best, i have post 2018 maples that milked..... 

everyone to their own, but a bullion coin that has Sigourney Weaver pretending to be HM is lacking in detail quality... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.