• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Victoria Sovereign in gold pendants.

Aldebaran

I have a small collection of sovereigns in gold pendants and have noticed that the Victoria ones are mounted face outwards.

Is this normal and showing the respect with which Victoria was held and once Edward came to the throne it was thought inappropriate and St. George became the norm?

The one on the left is 1900 and I have just noticed that it is a Sydney mint, does that mint mark affect the value of the sovereign to a great degree.

IMG_4837.jpeg

Edited by Aldebaran
Photo

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

4 hours ago, Aldebaran said:

I have a small collection of sovereigns in gold pendants and have noticed that the Victoria ones are mounted face outwards.

Is this normal and showing the respect with which Victoria was held and once Edward came to the throne it was thought inappropriate and St. George became the norm?

The one on the left is 1900 and I have just noticed that it is a Sydney mint, does that mint mark affect the value of the sovereign to a great degree.

IMG_4837.jpeg

I'm not aware of any particular convention with regard to pendants or rings.  I've seen pics of rings with the G&D or the obverse mounted outwards, and I've seen sovs with either or both sides polished.   More often than not it seems to be the obverse.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Obverse forward appears to be the most popular but It's just personal preference, perhaps different fashions through different ages has an impact.

I wear mine G&D forward because I love the iconic artwork.

Going back further, the Saxons loved wearing roman coinage (and even the romans did I believe), plenty of rings and pendants have been found with emporer forward and also with reverse forward, whatever appeals to the wearer.

20230423_040811.jpg

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

1914 KGV - A rare sovereign indeed with the horse facing left! 🐎😃😃

It also has a 180° die rotation error as can be clearly seen in this picture..

20230423_040811.jpg

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

The 1900s old head looks to be in decent unpolished condition. The mintage is pretty low for that year compared to the London mint. 

If this was mine, I would remove and place a lesser quality sovereign in that mount. Back to your question, it is all a preference. I might also be a sex thing, where men would rather show the St George side where some ladies would prefer the effigy side. 

Here you can find mintage figures for sovereigns.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/sovereign-mintages

Never Chase and Never Regret 

44 minutes ago, Spyder said:

The 1900s old head looks to be in decent unpolished condition. The mintage is pretty low for that year compared to the London mint. 

If this was mine, I would remove and place a lesser quality sovereign in that mount. Back to your question, it is all a preference. I might also be a sex thing, where men would rather show the St George side where some ladies would prefer the effigy side. 

Here you can find mintage figures for sovereigns.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/sovereign-mintages

Thank you, I am probably too sentimental - it was the first one I owned, we bought it from a jeweller about 20 years ago.

Apparently the mount and chain are contemporary too. Perhaps if it had been kept more carefully the coin would be in better condition.

As it is St. George’s Day, a 2005 is the perfect choice 😎

IMG_4846.jpeg

On 22/04/2023 at 19:15, Aldebaran said:

IMG_4837.jpeg

You have nice pendants in your collection, my friend!🤗

I have bought also for my daughters few gold coin pendants and I am really pleased.

The position of coin in the pendant doesn't really matter. These pendants were more utilitarian than jewellery. A kind of sovereign holders.

In the past, was very common to attach a gold or silver coin to a chain/bracelet/brooch, because this method was a very handy one to have spare cash with you all the time only for emergency situations. When needed, easy to take out from mount pendant the sovereign, buy something or pay for a service, when home put back another one for next emergency. Nowadays, people are asking why in that era people used to ruin rare coins, but we need to put in their place to understand better.

Today, all of us we have for a easier life:

1. Some folded banknotes hidden in the car for "just in case" situations.

2. Minimum one credit card in the wallet with some spare money into account.

3. Mobile phone to contact someone for help if need.

4. Sat-nav or Google map app if we are lost.

5. AA or RAC recovery in breakdown situations.

Today, "molesting" a banknote is the same with "molesting" a coin in the past. Who care about its rarity , when and where was printed, rare or unusual serial number. It is only a circulated money note, ready to be spent in the first supermarket. It is coming another one from ATM or at next payday.

It is very interesting also the transition period from gold/silver to paper, but before modern technology. The money-jewellery with hidden emergency banknote are beautifully made and very sophisticated. 

All the best!

Stefan.

Thank you!!!

I really like pendants, some of the designs are beautiful, and so varied. But do understand that some folks think that they are a ‘waste’ of a sovereign.

I like the idea of the transition from gold to silver and then cash………then bitcoin maybe, a rare number.

Life is good 😊

Edited by Aldebaran
Spelling

6 hours ago, mffiv said:

I think sovereign jewellery is beautiful. I enjoy looking at the different mounts both for rings and pendants - there’s some really interesting and unique examples sometimes.

This recently sold on eBay which I think is lovely for a ladies piece.DE6F935D-A9CE-4ADB-91DF-0B5FF7D8FBC1.thumb.jpeg.4638061a2a50cff07e880224e6400d98.jpeg

That’s a lovely piece, I haven’t looked on eBay for ages, will have to do so - Maybe we can bid against each other😆

3 hours ago, Aldebaran said:

That’s a lovely piece, I haven’t looked on eBay for ages, will have to do so - Maybe we can bid against each other😆

Here’s a good jeweller if you’re interested in sovereign jewellery:

https://www.miltonsdiamonds.com/search/sovereign#sort7

I’ve seen some unique items there, like this previously sold sovereign locket:

DB66E8F2-3B95-4EC6-91E8-5AA8D9D74E7B.thumb.jpeg.ddfbe0d86be325958cae0ab7d9f7e9fb.jpeg

Edited by mffiv

36 minutes ago, mffiv said:

Here’s a good jeweller if you’re interested in sovereign jewellery:

https://www.miltonsdiamonds.com/search/sovereign#sort7

I’ve seen some unique items there, like this previously sold sovereign locket:

DB66E8F2-3B95-4EC6-91E8-5AA8D9D74E7B.thumb.jpeg.ddfbe0d86be325958cae0ab7d9f7e9fb.jpeg

Thank you, I have looked at the site and I have one just like this 🥳

IMG_0638.jpeg