• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen Elizabeth II Gold 'Platinum Jubilee' 5 Pound Coin QUERY ? is this right ??

Paul

Ive got an eye on this gold £5 selling tonight 

https://bidlive.coinsoftherealm-auctions.com/lots/view/4-9A904M/2022-elizabeth-ii-platinum-jubilee-proof-5-pound-coin-pf70-ucam-top-pop

SIZE
Specifications: Mintage 400, Diameter 38.61mm, Weight 39.94g & 22ct Gold
CATEGORY
5 POUND, Modern Gold
DESCRIPTION
GREAT BRITAIN: (1952-2022) Queen Elizabeth II Gold 'Platinum Jubilee' 5 Pound Coin. Obverse: Fifth Portrait of Elizabeth II facing right, legend; ELIZABETH II. D.G. REG.FID. DEF. 5 POUNDS. J.C (Jody Clark - designers initials below bust) Reverse: Features the Shield on mantle design last used on William IV's coinage. Mintage 400. Two designs were produced for the Platinum Jubilee this one and Queen on horseback also presented in this auction. Graded by NGC PF70 UCAM Top Pop!
CONDITION
Graded by NGC PF70 ULTRA CAMEO TOP POP! Population 48/ 0 Graded Higher.
SIGNATURE

Is this description above actually correct ? 

I thought the Jody Clark portrait with the "Shield/Mantle" design was ONLY available the in annual set, with 100 mintage 

The "Horse back" & "Shield Mantle" gold £5 is the more common and was a higher mintage of 400 

Am I right ? or is the auction house wrong ??   that much stuff came out for the Platinum Jubilee i cannot recall if i'm right or not and totally missed it 

If anyone can help or advise that would be great 

Did you wind up winning it? I am just seeing this but 95% sure your suspicions were right. The big selling point of the annual sets was that they were the only way to get certain coins with the Jody Clark portrait. This was the main way the mint marketed them. I didn't buy the gold set but did buy the silver set for this reason as I figured it would make the £5 coin the rarest version of that coin in silver. Obviously the same is true though only rarer in gold.

Good find and well spotted especially if you wound up getting it.

Sorry I have just woken up here in Sydney and it looks like the auction has ended already.

I do remember very well that one of the selling points of the Annual Sets was that they were the only way to obtain the Jody Clark portrait version of the Platinum Jubilee coins.

However, I just did a brief search for the press release (as the page on the RM seems to be no longer available, but I will find the archived version of it later) and here what I found.

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/press-centre/the-royal-mint-reveals-new-coins-for-2022-including-the-queens-platinum-jubilee-50p/

They only state the Limited Edition Presentation as 100.

So it is possible they sold the remaining 300 exclusively to some entity?

I’ll poke around and see what I can find. 

@Paul @AppleZippoandMetronome

10 hours ago, Paul said:

Ive got an eye on this gold £5 selling tonight 

https://bidlive.coinsoftherealm-auctions.com/lots/view/4-9A904M/2022-elizabeth-ii-platinum-jubilee-proof-5-pound-coin-pf70-ucam-top-pop

SIZE
Specifications: Mintage 400, Diameter 38.61mm, Weight 39.94g & 22ct Gold
CATEGORY
5 POUND, Modern Gold
DESCRIPTION
GREAT BRITAIN: (1952-2022) Queen Elizabeth II Gold 'Platinum Jubilee' 5 Pound Coin. Obverse: Fifth Portrait of Elizabeth II facing right, legend; ELIZABETH II. D.G. REG.FID. DEF. 5 POUNDS. J.C (Jody Clark - designers initials below bust) Reverse: Features the Shield on mantle design last used on William IV's coinage. Mintage 400. Two designs were produced for the Platinum Jubilee this one and Queen on horseback also presented in this auction. Graded by NGC PF70 UCAM Top Pop!
CONDITION
Graded by NGC PF70 ULTRA CAMEO TOP POP! Population 48/ 0 Graded Higher.
SIGNATURE

Is this description above actually correct ? 

I thought the Jody Clark portrait with the "Shield/Mantle" design was ONLY available the in annual set, with 100 mintage 

The "Horse back" & "Shield Mantle" gold £5 is the more common and was a higher mintage of 400 

Am I right ? or is the auction house wrong ??   that much stuff came out for the Platinum Jubilee i cannot recall if i'm right or not and totally missed it 

If anyone can help or advise that would be great 

FWIW That's what Britannia Coin Company says - the Jody Clark portrait with the "Shield/Mantle" design was only available the in annual set, with 100 mintage.

https://britanniacoincompany.com/buy-coins/proof-sets/2022-annual-set-gold/ 

The "Horse back" & "Shield Mantle" gold £5 was a higher mintage of 400 - per RM.

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 9.21.18 PM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Thanks guys @jultorsk @westminstrel @AppleZippoandMetronome I took a punt on it and won at opening bid :)

lovely coin. Nice addition to the stack 

Nice one Paul no interest free tick from the mint to fund this one either, 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

How peculiar.

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 6.21.27 PM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, SiCole said:

That's the 2oz .999 coin. Paul's is the 22 carat one from the annual set.

Yes thanks, I know what coin Paul has - I was merely pointing out that result for the higher mintage 2oz'er. Anyway, moving on.