• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Royal Australian Mint details on coinage

The RAM has a page answering some FAQs about the impact of the Queen’s death on Aussie coinage - including King Charles’s effigy etc. 

Much of it is non-news for those of us who have been discussing this.

https://www.ramint.gov.au/news-media/news/2022-change-effigy-faqs

However, an interesting confirmation is this:

FUTURE DATED COINS

Q. Why have some future-dated coins already been released with the former Sovereign’s effigy?

A. It is standard practice for mints to release, in advance, certain collector coins which bear a future year date. This allows the mints to meet market demand. Under this practice, some 2023-dated collector coins have already been released with the Queen’s effigy. No 2023 dated circulating coins bearing the Queen’s effigy will be released.

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The RAM has a page answering some FAQs about the impact of the Queen’s death on Aussie coinage - including King Charles’s effigy etc. 

FUTURE DATED COINS

Q. Why have some future-dated coins already been released with the former Sovereign’s effigy?

A. It is standard practice for mints to release, in advance, certain collector coins which bear a future year date. This allows the mints to meet market demand. Under this practice, some 2023-dated collector coins have already been released with the Queen’s effigy. No 2023 dated circulating coins bearing the Queen’s effigy will be released.

I believe the situation is or will be the same in the UK, but it's taking the British Royal Mint longer to come to a decision!

😎

Chards

It will surely have thrown their schedule out of all whack.

The management must be scrambling to figure out what to do and how to reschedule the rest of this year’s releases, e.g., the British Monarchs Edward VII coin was supposed to be released this month (September). Same with Harry Potter.

13 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

It will surely have thrown their schedule out of all whack.

The management must be scrambling to figure out what to do and how to reschedule the rest of this year’s releases, e.g., the British Monarchs Edward VII coin was supposed to be released this month (September). Same with Harry Potter.

I agree, but was all foreseeable, by most people, so with a modicum of thought and contingency planning, 99% of possible outcomes and decisions could have been prepared for.

😎

Chards

On 17/09/2022 at 10:36, westminstrel said:

FUTURE DATED COINS

18 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I believe the situation is or will be the same in the UK, but it's taking the British Royal Mint longer to come to a decision!

18 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I agree, but was all foreseeable, by most people, so with a modicum of thought and contingency planning, 99% of possible outcomes and decisions could have been prepared for.

Having gone back and re-read, the R.A.M.'s "Noticeboard", there are some parts which do not make sense, and are quite obviously wrong.

"Historically, coins bearing a new Sovereign’s effigy were released approximately 12 months after coronation of the Sovereign."

This is nonsense. Elizabeth II acceeded on 6th February 1952, and her Coronation was on 2nd June 1953. All 10 coin denominations were issed dated 1953. While I cannot remember, and do not know their exact release date, I can see no reason why they would not have started appearing in circulation as early as January 1953, which would have been before her coronation. I confienatly expect that if I researched the situation for George VI, George V, Edward VII, or Victoria, that "my" version and understanding of history would be as for Elizabeth.

I suspect that whoever wrote their "information" page didn't know what he or she was talking about.

If they were correct, then the first circualtion coins for Elizabeth II would have been dated 1954 at the earliest, or possibly even 1955.

Some of their further information based on the above is therefore also dubious at best.

This however is interesting:

Q. Will the effigy of the new Sovereign be facing the opposite direction of the Queen on the new coins?

A. Yes, in keeping with tradition, the new Sovereign will face the opposite direction to their predecessor in the profile portrait depicted on Australian coinage.

It seems that this tradition, at least, is so firmly entrenched that R.A.M. are able to state it confidently, before having to wait for designs or confirmation from the Royal Mint.

I hope they are correct.

😎

Chards

37 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Good catch @LawrenceChard. 👏🏽 

I wondered at first if they were talking specifically about Aussie coinage, but even so, 1953 coins bearing QE II’s effigy were released (Gillick Portrait).

Maybe whoever wrote that section confused Coronation with Accession.

Yes, probably.

They are quite long words for Aussies!

😎

Chards