• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Metal experts required - what have I got here??

I went to a charity shop with my son and found a little 3d puzzle thing made of metal for £4. Right up his street. On the way to the pub I could hear the sound of it and immediately thought 'I hear a near silver sound', although it certainly was not silver. See below for the sound - video. 

I thought it was a magnet but he said its not, so that really sparked my interests for platinum, palladium or even rhodium.  😛 
Then I got it in my hand & felt the weight of it & its quite heavy, but have nothing to compare it too. 

Things I do know: 

• Its heavier than my gold (I think) as I have weighed out the equivalent (minus 2g for the plastic), but unsure of the metal content? 
  • It has rust on it in places so oxidises. 
  • its machine made - maybe a mass produced item - which might actually pin point it. Probably quite a common item. 
  • Makes a square but I am not sure how to put it back together 😛 
  • it sticks to a magnet which rules out platinum, palladium & rhodium :( 
  • the bar bit weighs in at 62 ounces. 

Maybe its steel, but I have never heard it make this sound or weigh as much? 
Dont think its copper, but my 5kg bar is very heavy. Nickel?? 

What else??

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

Edited by Stacktastic

23 minutes ago, SidS said:

Cobalt is magnetic. It doesn't rust though. Not sure about the weight.

Titanium would be heavy, but that's not magnetic.

When you say magnetic - do you mean it does not stick to a magnet or is a magnet (if that makes sense). 

7 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

When you say magnetic - do you mean it does not stick to a magnet or is a magnet (if that makes sense). 

Magnetic as in it will stick to a magnet.

Iron, Nickel and Cobalt are the three elements which are magnetic. I believe there are a few other elements which are also magnetic but they are rarer.

Alloys which are magnetic will contain one of those three elements.

Edited by SidS

1 hour ago, SidS said:

Iron, Nickel and Cobalt are the three elements which are magnetic. I believe there are a few other elements which are also magnetic but they are rarer.

Its very unprovable its platinum on second thoughts as I always thought it went from a silver price to current but it was £200 an ounce 20 years ago.  Never needed to look really, but it makes the price of silver laughable, although i much prefer platinum even over gold, fabulous metal, but a pain to sell - my plat brit was a treasure to hold, but I sold it just before it crashed in Jan 2021 along with all my gold (complete fluke). ;) 

What about the noise - does a steel/iron alloy sound like that & weigh the same? It to me just sounds too much like silver, gold, but I have nothing to compare it with apart from copper, which also has a bit of a satisfying 'tiiiingggg' to it. 

Would be nice to get a ounce for ounce weight in comparison with other metals as I guess they have standardised weights. Would a volume type thing work, like a e Erika can? probbaly easier to tie down the exact same product. This is a DIY one - different though. 

https://smallpuzzlecollection.blogspot.com/2011/10/aluminium-10-move-burr.html 

IMG_4444.jpeg

Edited by Stacktastic

2 hours ago, SidS said:

You are ignoring neodymium, and some others.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

I went to a charity shop with my son and found a little 3d puzzle thing made of metal for £4. Right up his street. On the way to the pub I could hear the sound of it and immediately thought 'I hear a near silver sound', although it certainly was not silver. See below for the sound - video. 

I thought it was a magnet but he said its not, so that really sparked my interests for platinum, palladium or even rhodium.  😛 
Then I got it in my hand & felt the weight of it & its quite heavy, but have nothing to compare it too. 

Things I do know: 

• Its heavier than my gold (I think) as I have weighed out the equivalent (minus 2g for the plastic), but unsure of the metal content? 
  • It has rust on it in places so oxidises. 
  • its machine made - maybe a mass produced item - which might actually pin point it. Probably quite a common item. 
  • Makes a square but I am not sure how to put it back together 😛 
  • it sticks to a magnet which rules out platinum, palladium & rhodium :( 
  • the bar bit weighs in at 62 ounces. 

Maybe its steel, but I have never heard it make this sound or weigh as much? 
Dont think its copper, but my 5kg bar is very heavy. Nickel?? 

What else??

Nickel or cupro-nickel are possibles, but also sounds like it contains some iron.

Probably a similar alloy to some of the magnetic Chinese fake silver coins.

Does nobody near you have a Niton XRF machine?

😎

Chards

41 minutes ago, Petra said:

The bar that weighs 62g, work out volume and search using those figures. Unfortunately not much help if it is made of more than one metal.

Yeah when I work out how to do that. 😛 

40 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Nickel or cupro-nickel are possibles, but also sounds like it contains some iron.

Probably a similar alloy to some of the magnetic Chinese fake silver coins.

Does nobody near you have a Niton XRF machine?

😎

Yeah maybe I dont know anything. 
No idea what your talking about & I know of someone nearish, but dont know them. ;) 

If it was not magnetic then I would be super excited, but as you say its probbaly an alloy? 
The noise is the main thing though, it just sounds really like a slightly dulled silver sound? 

Edited by Stacktastic