• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 1845 Victoria YH Crown Cinquefoil Stops- make an offer

richatthecroft

1845 Crown, Victoria. S.3884 Young Head Crowned Shield, Regnal year on edge in Roman figures & Cinquefoil Stops. Cleaned otherwise an attractive aEF with the main weakness through the hairbands. The reverse strong with all lions retaining facial detail. 

£280 Offers considered 

A287F4DB-E90C-400E-9D25-77D98A9FCEAF.thumb.jpeg.0890a06fd9512b3c373f0b7f987448f3.jpeg

F9F8B1E3-CF18-437E-BA9A-2CEB8E2CA78F.thumb.jpeg.e07ad0e4c61c28fc52cb766c6136db76.jpeg

179FCFE5-3D4A-4B30-BF46-FA4E2434EF74.thumb.jpeg.3e516bc10c0f52c000ca31f7e39e9591.jpeg

6BE25979-D4DE-4E73-856F-E56BACC8399A.jpeg

4B0E8D74-8588-46B2-922D-AC4512FFBFC3.jpeg

DFC2B349-E41B-440A-AC85-E65120F75204.jpeg

12E706EC-7BE2-4106-9D27-5189696F280F.jpeg

12216B19-883A-4680-A169-6FAC4DA95B01.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • richatthecroft changed the title to 1845 Victoria YH Crown Cinquefoil Stops- make an offer

The way I see it the likelihood of a coin this old having not been cleaned at some point is relatively slim, it just depends on the 'severity' of the cleaning and how long ago it occurred.  Each to their own preferences of course, but for me as a piece to add to a collection I intend to keep a 'cleaned' coin wouldn't be an issue, especially if it's saved a sizeable amount of outlay buying it.

You could always buy it and spend the next few years getting as much hand butter on it as possible to return it to its former (grubbier) glory! 🙃 I am a registered moron though, and understand very little of numismatic etiquette. 

22 hours ago, Arganto said:

The way I see it the likelihood of a coin this old having not been cleaned at some point is relatively slim, it just depends on the 'severity' of the cleaning and how long ago it occurred.  Each to their own preferences of course, but for me as a piece to add to a collection I intend to keep a 'cleaned' coin wouldn't be an issue, especially if it's saved a sizeable amount of outlay buying it.

You could always buy it and spend the next few years getting as much hand butter on it as possible to return it to its former (grubbier) glory! 🙃 I am a registered moron though, and understand very little of numismatic etiquette. 

2 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

Most 1845 crowns are so worn, you almost can't make out anything on the coin. Regardless of having been cleaned, this looks like an exceptionally well kept crown with minimal wear.

Thanks both for helping @richatthecroft sell his coin to me! 

I think I made the right choice. Cleaned coins are frowned upon but when I considered the wear on an uncleaned example at the same price I wasn't convinced that was a worthwhile trade off. I like to see the engravers work.... ideally at the same time as a positive bank balance. 

I am looking forward to seeing it take its place beside my other two  Victoria crowns to complete the trio

• 2 weeks later...

Archived