• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold chain markings

GodsMoney

IMG-20220829-WA0014.thumb.jpg.6cca7a1af958683072e774d3cd9014a1.jpgIMG-20220829-WA0016.thumb.jpg.2da239c60ccb9d75c616b34bb1ae123b.jpgIMG-20220829-WA0004.thumb.jpg.71df7dd62d6474243416c138ece982a3.jpgHi I have a scrap metal gold chain weighing 5.8g. it's all hallmarked at 585 however on one of the clasps there's also a 270 stamp. This chain was purchased as 14ct from a jeweler years ago. Any idea what's going on with the 270? I'm being offered 9ct scrap prices only from jewelers because of this 270 marking

IMG-20220829-WA0015.jpg

Edited by carrigher82
Extra detail on marking

Hi.

Some pictures would be helpful.

I have no idea about 270 stamp. It could be a maker mark if the chain/clasp was made overseas.I

If you can, add few detailed pictures and I am sure that we can help you with good advices.🤗

The only 270 mark I'm aware of is for CDA 270 which is a yellow brass sometimes used in costume jewellery. I can't see it being a millesimal mark as that would make it about 6 carat gold (I could be wrong tho).
You prolly need to get it tested, if it is part brass it may only be that small clasp.

Mobius

4 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

IMG-20220829-WA0004.thumb.jpg.71df7dd62d6474243416c138ece982a3.jpgHi I have a scrap metal gold chain weighing 5.8g. it's all hallmarked at 585 however on one of the clasps there's also a 270 stamp. This chain was purchased as 14ct from a jeweler years ago. Any idea what's going on with the 270? I'm being offered 9ct scrap prices only from jewelers because of this 270 marking

4 hours ago, stefffana said:

Hi.

Some pictures would be helpful.

I have no idea about 270 stamp. It could be a maker mark if the chain/clasp was made overseas.I

If you can, add few detailed pictures and I am sure that we can help you with good advices.🤗

The photos have undoubtedly helped transform this from a pure guessing game.

You have not mentioned what the mark is near the top of the clasp, and you photo is not good or clear enough to be able to read it.

Also you don't mention if there are any other marks elsewhere which might provide more clues.

Do you know what percentage of intrinsic your jewelers / jewellers are offering?

There is little excuse for offering you 9ct price for 14ct, but then jewellers are hardly ever the best place to sell scrap gold, or to get good advice, parlty because most UK jewellers know very little about anything.

😎

Chards

I think, looking at pictures, your chain is indeed 14ct gold. The rhombus-shaped stamp 585 is an italian hallmark for small gold jewell with a fineness lower than 750. 

The clasp stamped 270 should be the maker mark, even are missing another alphabetic codes. 

I don't think it is 6ct or yellow brass.

Anyway, an acid test will tell you the truth.

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

The photos have undoubtedly helped transform this from a pure guessing game.

You have not mentioned what the mark is near the top of the clasp, and you photo is not good or clear enough to be able to read it.

Also you don't mention if there are any other marks elsewhere which might provide more clues.

Do you know what percentage of intrinsic your jewelers / jewellers are offering?

There is little excuse for offering you 9ct price for 14ct, but then jewellers are hardly ever the best place to sell scrap gold, or to get good advice, parlty because most UK jewellers know very little about anything.

😎

Hi added a couple more. Looks like possibly a lion and a PC stamped on one side of the split ring then on the other side of the ring just a peculiar shaped pattern stamp.