• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Celtic Coins

Mightymogs

Clearly I've been watching too much History Channel, but with my newly found love for all things sliver, I've stumbled across the possibility of collecting UK Celtic Coins. Does anyone have any experience with these, are they a good long term investment and does anyone know of any good reasonably priced sources?

Thank you in advance lovely people 😁

28 minutes ago, Mightymogs said:

Clearly I've been watching too much History Channel, but with my newly found love for all things sliver, I've stumbled across the possibility of collecting UK Celtic Coins. Does anyone have any experience with these, are they a good long term investment and does anyone know of any good reasonably priced sources?

Thank you in advance lovely people 😁

Yes, Jersey.

You can dig them up by the shovelful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grouville_Hoard#:~:text=The Grouville Hoard is a,Jersey in the Channel Islands.

😎

Chards

34 minutes ago, Mightymogs said:

Plenty to choose from there then.. surely they must be able to off load a few for spot 😉

You should probably look at:

https://celticcoins.com/

I have never dealt with them, but I get a good feeling about them.

What I would like to hear on TV or radio news is:

"A hoard of Celtic coins has been found Celtic Park Football Stadium"

It doesn't work in print or writing, only in audio!

😎

Chards

30 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

You should probably look at:

https://celticcoins.com/

I have never dealt with them, but I get a good feeling about them.

What I would like to hear on TV or radio news is:

"A hoard of Celtic coins has been found Celtic Park Football Stadium"

It doesn't work in print or writing, only in audio!

😎

Thank you Lawrence 👌.

Think I'll enjoy learning more and more about this. I really love the idea of history being your hands 😁👍

Firstly, I know nothing about Celtic coins. I think that's an important starting point.

That being said, I do collected hammered coins and I have dabbled a little with Roman coins.

You ask about investment potential. I would say, risky to unknown would be my initial thoughts.

It can go either way.

I remember some years ago they discovered a few hoards of Aethelred II, Cnut and Edward the Confessor pennies. From around 2000-2005 these things were everywhere.

When hoards are found they tend to flood the market for a while and suppress the price, sometimes for a prolonged period. Coins that can start out as 'rare' and hard to obtain, can suddenly become the most common variety of a type if a large enough hoard is found. Great if you've been wanting to acquire one, terrible if you have shelled out £1000 for one a few years back and now they sell for only £200 each.

It's a game of risk much more so than modern coins.

Some examples of how I've faired.

I bought a Cnut coin during the glut of them an paid £140 for it. It's now worth about £240-£300, so nice little profit.

My Edward the Elder and Aethelstan pennies are worth now exactly what I paid for them 15 years ago. So with inflation it's an overall loss.

I'm sure there'll be others where the value has slumped due to finds.

On 26/08/2022 at 15:46, SidS said:

Firstly, I know nothing about Celtic coins. I think that's an important starting point.

That being said, I do collected hammered coins and I have dabbled a little with Roman coins.

You ask about investment potential. I would say, risky to unknown would be my initial thoughts.

It can go either way.

I remember some years ago they discovered a few hoards of Aethelred II, Cnut and Edward the Confessor pennies. From around 2000-2005 these things were everywhere.

When hoards are found they tend to flood the market for a while and suppress the price, sometimes for a prolonged period. Coins that can start out as 'rare' and hard to obtain, can suddenly become the most common variety of a type if a large enough hoard is found. Great if you've been wanting to acquire one, terrible if you have shelled out £1000 for one a few years back and now they sell for only £200 each.

It's a game of risk much more so than modern coins.

Some examples of how I've faired.

I bought a Cnut coin during the glut of them an paid £140 for it. It's now worth about £240-£300, so nice little profit.

My Edward the Elder and Aethelstan pennies are worth now exactly what I paid for them 15 years ago. So with inflation it's an overall loss.

I'm sure there'll be others where the value has slumped due to finds.

Many thanks Sid's. Good points well made. I think the love for owning a piece of history tends to over ride a fair amount of investment potential. Some are massively overpriced, yet some are reasonable. A little like the bullion coin market I guess, but the mainstay of bullion is the almost certain upward curve of PM's price over the long term. I think a fair amount of research is required here and maybe the odd targeted bargain hunt. Food for though indeed 👍