• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Photography - Quick Comparison Canon D5 and R5

We just got a new Canon R5 DSLR camera, and here is a quick pair of comparison shots to highlight an instant difference:

chromaticaberrationcomparisonR5vEOS5dmkiii.thumb.jpg.1697a747073bc0523206985d18340679.jpg

This could be interesting for anyone wanting to do high quality coin photography.

"Lawrence Chard no chromatic aberration.   Wow!  I'm hoping the camera didn't remove this when processing the jpg - I doubt it....so 100% results are not in ...just yet..."

More to follow

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

We just got a new Canon R5 DSLR camera, and here is a quick pair of comparison shots to highlight an instant difference:

chromaticaberrationcomparisonR5vEOS5dmkiii.thumb.jpg.1697a747073bc0523206985d18340679.jpg

This could be interesting for anyone wanting to do high quality coin photography.

"Lawrence Chard no chromatic aberration.   Wow!  I'm hoping the camera didn't remove this when processing the jpg - I doubt it....so 100% results are not in ...just yet..."

More to follow

😎

Good old R5.

I've never noticed any fringing on mine when shot against white backlight. I'll have to check now though

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

Good old R5.

I've never noticed any fringing on mine when shot against white backlight. I'll have to check now though

We do tend to shoot f32 - that's more a throwback to how previous photogs used to shoot - no real need for that and it will cause problems with CA, of course, BUT comparison shots are very promising.

I think we'll open the aperture up a bit going forward.

I got a bit excited whilst getting to grips with it like putting Chards details in copyright sections and just running through all the other settings etc BUT.....completely forgot to set it to shoot RAW only

.....and did my first full session with it as jpg :(

Hence the "I'm hoping the camera didn't remove this when processing the jpg" comment

It is quite a remarkable bit of equipment - even the colour tones seem so much better (probably because there are more of them - 8192px x 5464px) - If you see Chards on any billboards soon the images should be pin-sharp

1 hour ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

We do tend to shoot f32 - that's more a throwback to how previous photogs used to shoot - no real need for that and it will cause problems with CA, of course, BUT comparison shots are very promising.

I think we'll open the aperture up a bit going forward.

I got a bit excited whilst getting to grips with it like putting Chards details in copyright sections and just running through all the other settings etc BUT.....completely forgot to set it to shoot RAW only

.....and did my first full session with it as jpg :(

Hence the "I'm hoping the camera didn't remove this when processing the jpg" comment

It is quite a remarkable bit of equipment - even the colour tones seem so much better (probably because there are more of them - 8192px x 5464px) - If you see Chards on any billboards soon the images should be pin-sharp

My first few times out with it, i did the same!

Not that we need it for studio work, but i set my CF to record RAW, and the SD to record jpeg. It helps with buffering.

For flat lay i'm at f11 with the 100mm macro.

For the shot below, i'm at f8 and use focus bracketing (amazing thing when you get it dialled in). This takes 25 focus bracketed shots which are then stacked in Helicon.  

1887 Jubilee obv.jpg

Here the the camera and lens:

NewCanonR5Image.thumb.jpg.9e452ff2a6f6af1b07e19fcf733bc52e.jpg

The lens is the new Canon RF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM, which does macro at 1.4:1, compared with normal 1:1, so our new macro shots will be 40% bigger.

It pairs with the camera.

Our old or existing kit was Canon 5D with Canon EF 100mm F2. 8L Macro IS lens.

We will see more of the differences over the next week or so as we get to do more work with it.

😎

16 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I thought chromatic aberration was more to do with the lens rather than the type of camera body?

Yes, but see below:

😎

Chards

29 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I thought chromatic aberration was more to do with the lens rather than the type of camera body?

Yes, thats correct.

I think that @LawrenceChard meant the new body AND new lens when he refered to the R5 (which is just the body of course). You can still use the old EF macro on the R5 with an adaptor and the optical quality and fringing should be similar, execpt the R5 gives a much larger file and has a better sensor etc

11 hours ago, DrDave said:

Yes, thats correct.

I think that @LawrenceChard meant the new body AND new lens when he refered to the R5 (which is just the body of course). You can still use the old EF macro on the R5 with an adaptor and the optical quality and fringing should be similar, execpt the R5 gives a much larger file and has a better sensor etc

That's a very good interpretation.

Sorry, I did the OP too quickly, and also used Doug's filename. Sure it is the new lens which will be making the difference, but we would have been using it with the new camera.

😎

Chards