• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Weird weight for a gold coin - 9.57g - I need some help, please!

5 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

...'Papua New Guinea established its sovereignty in 1975'... perhaps they picked three of the numbers, threw them in the air and went with however they landed.

A twentieth of an abucco is 9.82 grams.

A third of a duella is 9.44 grams.

2 zolotnics are 8.53 grams

a masha is 9.72 grams

I'm done !

You have already from me a big HUG for your efforts.

Probably none of your answers is right, but... Thank you!🤗

I can't think why 9.57g is used either.

I thought about the old weight and measurement in stone / pound / ounces ( Avoirdupois). An ounce is 28.35g. So 9.57g is 0.3376 ounce). Close enough to 1/3 of an ounce but no cigars !   (For the coin to be 1/3 of an ounce, it would have to weigh 9.45g).

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Muslims likes the number 786 and the Chinese likes the number 8.

I would dearly like to know as I do find it intriguing !

I think you are trying to find something which just isn't there. Why there should be any logic behind the coin's weight? In the era after the gold standard when there is no direct relationship between the metal and currency?

For reference: Papua New Guinea issued its first 100 kina gold coin in 1975. Its weight was 9.57 grams and it was arguably .900 gold.

Now consider this: in 1975, there were almost no gold bullion coins yet, except for krugerrands, which existed since 1967. No maples, pandas, philharmonics, britannias, eagles... So it was completely different time in terms of what you expect from a gold coin today, such as that bullion is produced in fractions of an ounce. Not mentioning that 100 kina was never meant to be bullion.

So back in 1975, without any pressure to follow market trends and expectations as to weight, I can very well imagine that they first designed the coin, decided on its size and the weight was just a random result of that. And so they continued using the same weight until they realised that the times have changed and that changing weight to 1/4oz can help marketability.

What strikes me more than weight however is that your coin seems to be the only 100 kina of that weight in .999 gold. Maybe it's also just random - maybe they decided too late to issue this coin for the games and the mint maybe had only .999 blanks in stock so they just went with what they had. After all, it's Papua New Guinea, not exactly the centre of the universe (with all respect to that certainly beautiful country - I hope you know what I mean).

Curiously, NGC lists this coin in its catalogue as .900 gold. But then, they have none graded so that info is not necessarily decisive.

Anyway, I hope you can enjoy owning such an unusual coin without ever fully finding out about the rationale behind its dimensions. Or, why not try writing to Central Bank of Papua New Guinea directly? They may even be pleased that collectors have such an interest in their coins ☺️

6 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

I can't think why 9.57g is used either.

I thought about the old weight and measurement in stone / pound / ounces ( Avoirdupois). An ounce is 28.35g. So 9.57g is 0.3376 ounce). Close enough to 1/3 of an ounce but no cigars !   (For the coin to be 1/3 of an ounce, it would have to weigh 9.45g).

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Muslims likes the number 786 and the Chinese likes the number 8.

I would dearly like to know as I do find it intriguing !

6 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Not sure if it’s relevant and I’m sure it isn’t. Anyway rifle bullets are exactly 9.57grams. Depending on what rifle you use though. I doubt it’s connected but it’s a cute coincidence. 

A big HUG for both of you!🤗 Thank you!

Any new ideas are very welcomed, even are not matching exactly the correct answer.

I have tried as well to find on internet some local measurement units in that area. No more success so far...

9.57...9.57...9.57...9.57....grams...9.57...9.57...9.57...9.57....grams...9.57...9.57...9.57...9.57....grams

Obsession....

R (44).gif

5 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

I think you are trying to find something which just isn't there. Why there should be any logic behind the coin's weight? In the era after the gold standard when there is no direct relationship between the metal and currency?

For reference: Papua New Guinea issued its first 100 kina gold coin in 1975. Its weight was 9.57 grams and it was arguably .900 gold.

Now consider this: in 1975, there were almost no gold bullion coins yet, except for krugerrands, which existed since 1967. No maples, pandas, philharmonics, britannias, eagles... So it was completely different time in terms of what you expect from a gold coin today, such as that bullion is produced in fractions of an ounce. Not mentioning that 100 kina was never meant to be bullion.

So back in 1975, without any pressure to follow market trends and expectations as to weight, I can very well imagine that they first designed the coin, decided on its size and the weight was just a random result of that. And so they continued using the same weight until they realised that the times have changed and that changing weight to 1/4oz can help marketability.

What strikes me more than weight however is that your coin seems to be the only 100 kina of that weight in .999 gold. Maybe it's also just random - maybe they decided too late to issue this coin for the games and the mint maybe had only .999 blanks in stock so they just went with what they had. After all, it's Papua New Guinea, not exactly the centre of the universe (with all respect to that certainly beautiful country - I hope you know what I mean).

Curiously, NGC lists this coin in its catalogue as .900 gold. But then, they have none graded so that info is not necessarily decisive.

Anyway, I hope you can enjoy owning such an unusual coin without ever fully finding out about the rationale behind its dimensions. Or, why not try writing to Central Bank of Papua New Guinea directly? They may even be pleased that collectors have such an interest in their coins ☺️

I think that's a very fair summary @CollectForFun

4 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

A big HUG and a big THANK YOU!🤗

If I will not find the correct answer, your explanation is the most rational so far.

About my coin, I will go next week to be tested with a machine, to be 100% sure that is .9999 and the certificate issued by Perth Mint is accurate.

I will update here with my results.