• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1550 or 1556 Hungarian Medieval Silver Denar Ferdinand I Holy Roman Emperor - Fake?

I often get to see bags of interesting numismatic material which I can't instantly identify. Actually that's probably what makes them interesting. It also makes them educational. Here is one such piece:

unknowncoinobversecrop.thumb.jpg.874b2c688ff1fff720b896cd0bbbb2ce.jpg

Obverse with Madonna and Child.

PATRONA  VNGARIE

KB at sides.

unknowncoinreversecrop.thumb.jpg.df7892e6660e904a67016337ba45cf7d.jpg

Date 1550 or 1556 at top.

FERDINAND. D.G. R. VNG

Hapsburg coat of arms in shield.

unknowncointesteranalysis.thumb.jpg.df19ec90a812c72eacde0ad301c4268c.jpg

Although this looks like a silver Denar, the alloy analysis shows it to be mainly copper, so it is either a very debased issue, or much more likely a counterfeit, probably contemporary.

Its copper content is about 99%, with traces of silver, germanium, lead.

A genuine example should have a silver content of about 90%.

Any comments, additional information, or opinions welcome.

😎

Chards

Any idea how many mints there were in the HRE at that time? Had to be more than one. With the very large number of duchies, prince bishoprics, independent cites, all having different laws, weighs, measures and taxes. I'm not so sure it would make it 100% fake.

Edited by tallthinkev

1 hour ago, CollectForFun said:

Are those shiny silvery spots perhaps remainings of a silver coating?

Possibly, especially in view of the trace of silver detected on the reverse!

The Niton is calibrated to try to detect gold plating, but not silver plating.

😎

Chards

8 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

Any idea how many mints there were in the HRE at that time? Had to be more than one. With the very large number of duchies, prince bishoprics, independent cites, all having different laws, weighs, measures and taxes. I'm not so sure it would make it 100% fake.

Any idea how many mints there were in the HRE at that time? - No.

Had to be more than one. - I agree.

With the very large number of duchies, prince bishoprics, independent cites, all having different laws, weighs, measures and taxes. I'm not so sure it would make it 100% fake.

Why would they claim to be issued in the name of Ferdinand of Hungary?, except for the Hungarian ones.

Why would they be made to look just like Hungarian silver denars?

Wouldn't they be well documented?

😎

Chards

Coins were moved all over, both HRE and Hungarian empires, and knowing how shifty Charles V could be anything that he could do to make his fortune bigger, and the House of Habsburg greater, I wouldn't put it past him to make fakes!

Modern fake? Yes, however wouldn't it much easier to fake a more well known coin that would get so much attention?